DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (89Corvette6spdFX3)

There's a set on Ebay item#2458836629... I bought a set from this guy....They were good
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 571 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (Daffy427)

You all can walk the path of the blind man, but my eyes are wide open....literally.

Here is what you will notice if you use those Diamond Cut headlights (which look just like the crapola ones I had). You will notice very unfocused light patterns and a huge separation between hi and lo-beams. So much , that on your low ride height car, if you aim your lows, when you switch to highs you will now be illuminating treetops. Only a small amount of useable light actually hitting the road. On higher ride height cars...this doesnt matter as much.

I think you will eventually regret your choice once you realize there is better stuff out there that is acually engineered.

Oh yeah, and if you get those stupid blue tint HID bulbs (like I had), the coating will detract from your low-beam performance, regardless of how many watts the bulb has.

I feel like the more strongly I state my opinion, the less people will listen, but at least i did my part as a forum member.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:31 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (dizwiz24)

Oh yeah, and if you get those stupid blue tint HID bulbs (like I had), the coating will detract from your low-beam performance, regardless of how many watts the bulb has.
:iagree:

I recently put a new set of fog light bulbs in my truck and they are those stupid blue things. I hate them :mad
It is amazingly hard to find anything without the blue coatings now.
It seems to be the "fashionable" thing to do. You know fashion - looks good but is totally impractical
Old 02-12-2004, 12:32 PM
knp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want real headlights go with Daniel Sterns setup. It will run you almost $200 for reflectors, bulbs, the relay kit and wiring. However, when you and your family's safety is at stake, I prefer good downroad lighting.
I've been reading his stuff on the rec.autos.* newsgroups for a while. That guy knows his stuff. Switching to that setup has been on my wishlist for a while.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (knp)

Gosh, at least we made for an active thread here if nothing else... I'd like to see some of the better ones because if they are that much better than these cheap ones(which are better than original) I might go that way myself... I'm sure not everyone wants to do 200 on headlites but I would consider it if it's worth it... Nothing's too good for my baby... Hope the weather isn't too lousy up there in Ohio
Old 02-12-2004, 01:07 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (corvette-pilot)

:

I recently put a new set of fog light bulbs in my truck and they are those stupid blue things. I hate them :mad
It is amazingly hard to find anything without the blue coatings now.
It seems to be the "fashionable" thing to do. You know fashion - looks good but is totally impractical
That's not surprising. Blue tinted light bulbs are just plain dumb unless the goal is to make a fashion statement. The tint doesn't make the light blue, it blocks the red end of the spectrum, so you actually have less light than with no tint.

Then on top of that, blue light scatters more in the atmosphere than the other end of the spectrum, so you can't see as well though haze, fog, dust and mist with it. Eyeballs don't focus blue as well either. Everything is stacked against blue tinted bulbs except styling points (if you are into poseur headlights).
Old 02-12-2004, 02:50 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Gosh, at least we made for an active thread here if nothing else...
No Kidding! I had now idea this would be so interesting.

I'm not sure I want to spend $200 on lights, any other "cheaper" suggestions?
Old 02-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

My cheapie lights seem to work pretty good in NC. don't know about the sceintific aspects of it... They do not look blue like the ricer lights I see that blind you coming down the road... I don't know how long they last being plastic and all, I've only had them in the car for six months.... But I would like to see how good the 200 dollar ones work.. I'm not in a position to make a valid comparison except between the Ebay jobs and the stock halogen sealed beams... I like these better... PS... not into fashion down here :lol:
Old 02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (Wheelman)

Silverstars :cheers:
:iagree: Best bang for the buck imo
Old 02-13-2004, 12:04 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (C4DC)

If you want better lighting, best 'looks' at a good price, Silverstars are for you. I am assuming they make a Silverstar in a sealed beam? While I have never had Silverstars, I know people who work for Osram (formally Sylvania) and they tell me its not over-hyped up marketing.

If you want *****-out max. lighting go with the setup I described earlier.

Dave :iagree:
Old 02-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I've heard nothing but good things about the silverstars... Been wanting to get a set for my truck...(Dodge lights are a joke)
Old 02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

You know what car company has always had good headlights...

I am sure I will get flamed for saying this, but Ford. Every Ford Ive ever driven has excellent lighting. Its no secret Ford cares about lighting. For example, they were the first domestic automaker to take HID lighting from Europe to here. In their 96 Lincoln Mark VIII.

However, in every other area GM (And even chrysler) has been superior.

After all, who else makes a vehicle that automatically flips over if the passenger rear tire blows
:skep:
Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

I bought a set on Ebay and never put them in. I dont think I ever will now I changed vettes. Will more then likely put them up for sale.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the "ricer" diamond cut headlamps and 55/60 Xenon bulbs. I love them! The only beef I have is that the low beam doesn't really project downward like a stock type bulb. I used to do a LOT of night driving along deer lined highway, and I must say they improved my sight distance substantially.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 PM
onrecess
Pro

Well, take a look at new cars... oh no!!!!... the same light center caps. I just parked nose to nose with a new Toyota Stupid Ugly Vehicle. Caps. Looked around the parking lot at all ther newer cars... more caps than not...
Hmm, maybe the cap doesn't mean much.
My low beams are awesome. My high beams make it daylight. I would be afraid to use them with oncoming traffic for fear of blinding them. I never did do that anyway. I don't know about beam differences. I know 99.9% of my driving is low beam anyhow! I seldom see an empty road to leave the highs on. I think I used my high beams for about 1 minute all the way from Mich to FL. My brother-in-law (I bought the car from) drove it Sat and was knocked out by the bright lights. I was in front of him in my low little Eclipse and they were bright, white, and just like any new luxo-car. Didn't blind me, wasn't an irritant like those SUV lights shining down into your mirror.
I'm happy. I'd try to find a car using them at a local show before blowing $200 on headlights! I have my old sealed halogens. I'm not even considering going back! :yesnod:
Old 02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (1hot90)

How much do you want for your lights?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:39 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades (Wheelman)

Silverstars :cheers:
:iagree: :yesnod:
Old 02-28-2004, 12:03 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

I would take 18.00 and shipping if you want them. Send me a email if you want a pic. :seeya

Quick Reply: DIAMOND CUT HEADLAMPS and other light upgrades