C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose CD player says "ERR"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
LBA50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bose CD player says "ERR"

I recently got a '96 coupe with the Gold Bose CD player. Unfortunately, the player will frequently spit out the CD just after it goes in and displays "ERR". Reinserting the disc a couple of time will usually make it play. This does not happen everytime, or with every disc.

I don't know how well the previous owner maintained the CD unit (if he even used it), but does the unit need cleaning? Would one of those CD disc cleaners work... or does this thing need to be pulled out for a major overhaul?

Old 01-31-2004, 11:18 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bose CD player says "ERR" (LBA50)

Mine did that too, in the beginning. It only seemed to do it with CD's that I burned, on the computer... So I ran one of the CD Cleaners in it, and it's been fine since!!!

Of course, now that I said that, it'll start acting up again.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:21 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]I recently got a '96 coupe with the Gold Bose CD player. Unfortunately, the player will frequently spit out the CD just after it goes in and displays "ERR". Reinserting the disc a couple of time will usually make it play. This does not happen everytime, or with every disc.

I don't know how well the previous owner maintained the CD unit (if he even used it), but does the unit need cleaning? Would one of those CD disc cleaners work... or does this thing need to be pulled out for a major overhaul?

Your CD is on its way out..... send it to Dr. Don's in Texas.

He can fix it like new for $150.00 :smash:
Old 01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
C4Crazy787
Drifting

Default Re: Bose CD player says "ERR" (xlr8nflorida)

:iagree: :seeya
Old 01-31-2004, 11:55 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a read error, my 90 did the same thing, cleaned it and it helped for awhile. Then changed to the Clarion 835, walla, no more errors! Sounds like clean or R&R.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Alchemist
Race Director

NC Events Coordinator

You may want to shop around a bit...but you can DEFINITELY have the CD player replaced a HECK of a lot cheaper than the whole head unit. Dixie Electronics in Charlotte, NC did mine ~5 years ago. I took them the unit, and they replaced the CD player and cleaned/serviced the cassette player for $80.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Sandy S
Burning Brakes

Mine did the same. I relaced it with a rebuilt unit and it only lasted a year. I am going to think about changing it out this summer but I like the factory look so I guess I will just get it rebuild again.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:21 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Bose CD player says "ERR" (C4Crazy787)

:iagree: :seeya
:iagree: I was having the same problem "ERR" and the disc wouldn't play. Sent it to Doc Don's and it runs good as new. Also, a very quick turn around time. I apperciated that since I didn't want to put it all back together to drive and tear it appart to reinstall the radio.

[Modified by ittlfly, 6:21 AM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-01-2004, 09:47 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

While you're waiting for the CD to be cleaned/repaired. look in the Mid-America catalog for that little plate that covers the CD opening. (current catalog page 4-96. "CD Player Dust Plug" Part# 105-003 on sale for $1.99!!) With open cars, you get a lot of airborne particles floating around and they work their way inside the player and it will probably happen again.

Might save more trips to the stereo shop!

Old 02-01-2004, 10:39 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Default Re: Bose CD player says "ERR" (Alchemist)

You may want to shop around a bit...but you can DEFINITELY have the CD player replaced a HECK of a lot cheaper than the whole head unit. Dixie Electronics in Charlotte, NC did mine ~5 years ago. I took them the unit, and they replaced the CD player and cleaned/serviced the cassette player for $80.
That is a great contact if the person who did yours has a good reputation.
Does it come with a warranty? Dr. Don's comes with a 1 year warranty.

As long as they have a good reputation then I might go the $80 route but Dr. Don's has done tons of forum members radios and everyone is pleased wit him. He has your radio back in like 3 days and you can deal with him (don-the owner) on the phone.

The good going rate is $150.00. If you look in Ecklers and some of the other magazines they charge you $300.00. I wouldn't be surprized if Eckler's just sends the radios out to Doctor Dons.

Good luck, get your tunes fixed, you will be happy you did.

:cheers:

[Modified by xlr8nflorida, 9:40 AM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-01-2004, 06:09 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

http://www.doctordons.com

76 Ellisor Road
Huntsville, Texas 77320
Old 02-01-2004, 08:46 PM
LBA50
Advanced

Thanks for the info... and for posting the link. Looks like Don is up to $160 now, but still reasonable.

For those who have pulled the head unit out: Did you disconnect the battery first? Any tips on removing the stereo? Don has a diagram on the web site which makes it look like the shifter ****, console plate, center air vent, and fascia plate around the stereo all need to come out.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Cruise-In V Veteran

:iagree: I just got my radio back from Dr. Don's and followed the directions on their website. Took me about an hour to R&R. CD player works great now!

Old 02-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your Blose says "ERR" because it IS an error. The head unit, in fact the entire SYSTEM sucks and is one huge incompatible error in all of our C4's.

Now's the time to jump for joy, because its the perfect excuse to RIP THE SYSTEM OUT of your beloved car, and install a much better aftermarket setup, for as little as $600 or so.

Is it worth it? You bet. Because your new system will be much more reliable and sound a HELLUVA lot better. Dr. Don, Dr. Swon. You'll be sending that POS unit in every year, soon it will be $200 a pop to fix. The $$ mount and so will your patience, and you'll finally be doing what I did with the Blose in my other vette I used to have......ripping it out and administering a 10 LB. SLEDGEHAMMER to it with authority! (and I did that the very day after I bought the car)

Edit: If I wasn't spending on performance upgrades right now, my current BLOSE would be ripped out as well. I swear I hate it with every shred of force within me :cuss Its a "Gold" system - my azz - because I think the sound SUCKS (It should be noted I do have relatively high standards for audio). The previous owner had the head unit repaired + 2 amps just 4k miles ago, at the tune of about $400, and already the damned thing won't play CD's any more.

THE BLOSE IS JUNK, DON'T WASTE A CENT ON IT, TRASH IT ASAP AND GET A REAL SYSTEM. BOSE IS NOT A REAL RESEARCH-ORIENTED AUDIO COMPANY. THEY ARE A FARCE THAT RELIES VERY HEAVILY ON MASS-MARKET ADVERTISING.

I guess its apparent - I CAN'T DESPISE BOSE OR ANYTHING ABOUT BOSE ENOUGH! :mad :cuss :banghead:

[Modified by bradvette, 9:37 PM 2/1/2004]
Old 02-01-2004, 10:06 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Default Re: Bose CD player says "ERR" (bradvette)

You guys crack me up. I have had high end systems before.

I think the Bose System sounds pretty damn good for a stock system.

Do the CD, amps and speakers tend to be a problem from time to time.

Hell Yes.

The bose sounds good for those people who don't crank the hell out of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose CD player says "ERR"

Quick Reply: Bose CD player says "ERR"