C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:50 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday

I had the day from Hell on Monday. First, I found that some kid that worked for my detailer stole a check out of my car and cashed it for $400. So, I was on the phone all day with the police and my bank. What a headache! Then, I was on my way home, sitting at a red light when I got popped from behind. The guy in the Mercedes behind me, took his foot off his brake and coasted up into the back of my Vette. Great! Just what I wanted on my way home from a rough day. I got out of the car to see all the damage that was caused. Thankfully, it was very minor. I have some rub marks from where his front license plate holder rubbed against my Vette, nothing a little polishing compound won't take out. The only other damage was 2 scratches that are maybe 1/2 inch in length. A little touch-up paint and I should be set. The guy was really sorry, and since the damage was next to nothing, why am I going to wait around for 15 minutes to do a police report. Besides, I was tired of talking to the police. As for the idiot who stole the check, his girlfriend (who cashed the check for him not knowing it was stolen) paid the money back to me, but the idiot is still facing charges of petty theft and check forgery. Spent yesterday afternoon talking to the police some more and hopefully with her information, they will arrest him. I am sooo glad Monday is over!!! One more day till the weekend as well!! :thumbs: Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:55 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (Whitvette)

Man you had a bad day. The only reason for waiting around for the police to report the accident would be to cover your butt if this guy changes his story and tries to blame the accident on you. It's happened before, many times and with the luck you've been having you need to cover all your bases. Hopefully things work out.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (1986pacecar)

Yeah, everything worked out. There was no damage to his Mercedes and in Florida, if you hit someone in the rear, you are at fault unless you can prove that the other driver cut you off. Since we were at a red light, that wasn't going to be possible. When it happened, I just wanted to get home, get the Vette in the garage and play Halo on the XBox and blow up as much stuff as possible. Come to think of it...I did get a lot farther in Halo in a couple hours than I had in a while. :D Maybe something good came out of it after all. :D
Old 01-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Tomorrow's Friday! It can only get better! :cheers:
Old 01-29-2004, 04:06 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:grouphug:
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear :( i feel your pain about getting rear ended. luckily yours was very minor. i was sitting at a stop light about a year ago in my 81 vette, when some guy in a geo prizm rear ended me going 45 mph :eek: he wasn't paying attention and didn't even slow down. i got $5000 from his insurance co. though, and got all the damages repaired for under $4000 so i guess it wasn't a total disaster
Old 01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (corvettemaster)

Sorry to hear that Neil. Well, I guess it can only get better!

-Rick
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
nx-01
Advanced

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (corvettemaster)

I am also sorry to hear that your rear end was hit. I am happy that the gentleman driving the car was sorry. Also, I am going to say that the girlfriend will dump the boyfriend, since he stole the check from you.

When I have a bad day so to speak I get on the X-box with MechAssault :smash:
Old 01-29-2004, 06:26 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Arrest and jail time are two very different things. Where I live unless you use a gun you'll never see the inside of a jail.
Shet happens even to good people.
Bummer dude.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that Neil. Its one that I fear the most. Many times other people come up on you so fast I'm praying their brakes are going to work (morons). I'm very adamant about this because I too was rear ended by a complete moron several years ago. I had a new model Camaro at the time. Sitting at a light about 5 back both lanes full this jerk talking on a cell phone screwing with his pager plows right into me. Doesn't dawn on the idiot a sea of red stop lights from 20 some vehicles means stop! Sorry, I rant too, but without any compensation I live with backpain every day from that jerk's behavior behind the wheel.

Just a note of caution, you could barely tell it was hit but when they removed the rear bumper covering, the fiberglass bumper inside there was cracked. Make sure all the damage is accounted for.

Now I get very parnoid about vehicles approaching from the rear. I slow people up if I'm in front, by starting to slow things down well in advance so as to get the vehicles slowed gradually. That way I know they are paying attention.

Ever notice how at stop lights people will come up really close. Bugs me to no end. If some one hits them from behind they are going to hit you. And like you they let up on the brake and will wack you if they are that close. Geez give a little space. If I can't see headlights they are too close.

Sorry... :mad
Old 01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That kind of day does suck, sort makes you understand how "road rage" happens.

But it also allows you to appreciate the "normal" days. Sort of like driving the Vette after the "family car".
Old 01-29-2004, 07:40 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

There's nothing like replacing the your rear torsion bar bushings and upgrading to C5 brakes to take your mind off a lousy Monday... ;)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:26 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Well, it could have been worse.... but glad to hear you're okay.... now have a beer... :cheers:
Old 01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

One Baaaaaad Day :smash:
Old 01-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Where else but the forum would you get so many sympathetic ears and only have to tell the story of your Monday from hell once! Happy gaming, bottoms up........ :cheers:
Old 01-30-2004, 01:40 AM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (Corvette Kid NC)

A theif & a coward.
The idiot used an unsuspecting girl to do his dirty work, thinking : If anybody gets in trouble it will be the girl who cashes the check , not him.
Or, on the other hand, maybe she was in on it from the beginning.
:mad
Old 01-30-2004, 07:56 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (Wayne88)

Glad your ok :D ,seems like we all have days like that sooner or later. But what a wonderful audience. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday

Old 01-30-2004, 08:54 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been... damn...

you nearly have the theif caught... the accident didn't cause a lot of damage...

The weekend is near, things will look up!

And think of this - it ain't 20 degrees and snowing where you are... :thumbs:
Old 01-30-2004, 04:58 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday (bogus)

Bogus - Yeah, this week hasn't been bad...now that it is Friday, the weather has decided to rain all weekend...@#$#$, never get a break! :lolg:

93JetJocky - I know what you mean. I was in an accident where a dumb blonde in a Camaro rear-ended my Mustang. Caused $300 in damage to my car and over $40,000 worth of damage to my right shoulder. I was downshifting when I got nailed. That is the reason I got the Vette, had a hard time driving a stick shift after the surgery. Now, I don't have that problem. Last summer I drove a NASCAR at Disney at the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Best lap averaged 128.72 mph. Not bad since the 18 lap drive has a max speed of 129 mph. This summer, my boss is sending me to it again. This time 30 laps and they won't limit my speed! :D

John - Yeah, the front brakes are almost gone! Soon the brakes will need to be done. I tell ya, the wedding plans we are making right now have been taking a lot of my time up. I hope she figures out what she wants soon, so we can get it finished up so I can really tear into the Vette. That, and I still need to get some time to check out your Vette for you. I have not forgotten!
:cheers:

All - Thanks!! :cheers:
Old 01-30-2004, 06:23 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I tell ya, the wedding plans we are making right now have been taking a lot of my time up. I hope she figures out what she wants soon, so we can get it finished up so I can really tear into the Vette....
You better start spending money on the Vette now, Neil. You won't have any left after the wedding bills start coming in... ;)

And as for finishing up the suspension stuff and doing the brakes, just let me know...

Quick Reply: Need to RANT...rear ended on Monday