C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Newer Owner 'stupid' questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:58 PM
dabird
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Owner 'stupid' questions

Hi folks. I am happily awaiting the return of warmer weather in order to stretch out my 92 LT1 'Vert.

A couple of questions that some of you may have encountered:

1. the horn does not work and I can't find a fuse for it. Is this common? Anyone know how to fix it?

2. the underhood lights don't work and (you guessed it) I can't find a fuse for them. Any suggestions?

3. the power antenna, more often than not, does not go down all the way. I tried spraying a little lube on the outside of it with no improvement. Do I need to replace the entire assembly (which looks like a royal pain from having read the tech. article on replacing one in '90 model)?

Thanks to any and all that can held and shed some light on these minor items.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:11 PM
86_Vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (dabird)

As for your under hood lights, they have connectors in the front at each corner inside near the horn. People sometimes unplug them if they have the hood up for extend periods of time. I believe this would be the same for LT1 as it is for the L98.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:12 PM
C4Crazy787
Drifting

Welcome :seeya

1>The horn its self could be bad use a test light to see if there a current when you press the button on the sterring wheel.
2>There is a fuse for the EC lights @ the driver side front down by the side marker light check it.
3>My antenna did the same thing, I got a replacement @ http://www.superchevyperformance.com . Then I installed a bypass switch so it only comes up when I want it to. Then I wrote a Tech Tip on the subject, you can find it in the tips section under C4

Good Luck..
Old 01-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Welcome new member. There are no stupid questions.... however, stupid answers are a distinct possibility! Sounds like you've already gotten good answers so I'll just mention that someone had completely removed the bulbs from my underhood lights and I've replaced both horns for being dead. I just leave the lights unplugged now unless I need them. They make repair kits for the antennas but I'm not sure what problems that the kits address, haven't had that problem yet. Good luck.

[Modified by Corvette Kid NC, 10:30 PM 1/25/2004]
Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Welcome. Some good answers there! NOT warm enough in Texas???? :confused: Try Western Michigan today. 14 degrees with a wind chill of 1 degree and snow in sight for the next 4 days with the forcasted high no more than 28! :cuss I have not been able to drive my car at all this year! :mad
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Welcome to the forum.

As far as the under hood lights go, there is an inline fuse on the lt1 under the hood. It is by the drivers side headlight.

Good luck! :cheers:
Old 01-25-2004, 11:25 PM
fryguy84
Drifting

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (corvetteronw)

Welcome. Some good answers there! NOT warm enough in Texas???? :confused: Try Western Michigan today. 14 degrees with a wind chill of 1 degree and snow in sight for the next 4 days with the forcasted high no more than 28! :cuss I have not been able to drive my car at all this year! :mad
Dont ya just love this West Michigan Weather---The only thing i look forward to (in the winter months) is starting my corvette once a week--I hate snow :cheers:
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 PM
JJ77
Instructor

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (C4Crazy787)

Where did you get the by pass switch and how did you hook it up, to which wires?

Thanks,
JJ
Old 01-26-2004, 12:00 AM
C4Crazy787
Drifting

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (JJ77)

Where did you get the by pass switch and how did you hook it up, to which wires?

Thanks,
JJ
Here'ya go https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=220&TopicID=2 got all the supplies at AutoZone.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:30 AM
knp
Burning Brakes

1. the horn does not work and I can't find a fuse for it. Is this common? Anyone know how to fix it?
The horn itself may be fine, the contacts in the steering wheel may very likely be the problem.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 AM
dabird
Intermediate

Thank you, everyone.

Are the steering wheel contacts easy to replace or is this best left to the dealer?

I found a separate fuse box under the dash on the passenger side. Thinking the horn fuse might be in there so am going to check that first. It has actual bolts attaching its cover!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome :party:

On the horns: take a look at them and their position, is it possible they could have gotten moisture inside? My horns died unexpectedly about a year ago, tried to resolve it but ended up back at the dealer, they replaced both horns and it worked fine. Said the had moisture in them. I had taken pictures when I got the vette and looked back at them afterwards and noticed they were at a slight angle, still pointed down. I wouldn't have guess that, so you might want to test swap one it could be the horns themselves. Also whoever installs them make sure they are positioned correctly dealer had one off position just slightly and the headlamp hit it during the flip.

On the hood lighting, they are activated by mercury switches. Both connectors on the left and right near the sidelamps are the fuseable connectors, this is also where you disconnect them during extended service. This is probably what's going on there, if not you could check the bulbs (trade 211-2 12 candlepower).

The antenna does have a tendency to fail. Never use lubrication on the antenna mast. To clean it use only a soft cloth with mineral spirits. It can be one of two things, the feed cable or the assembly itself (motor cable etc). Its a self contained unit. If its just the cable, in other words it goes almost all the way up but stops and the same down, it is probaby the feed cable this is about $10 to fix the kit comes with a special key to remove the nylon nut holding the mast in place. This is done right at the antenna. If its the whole assembly (cable broke off half way or more, motor is faulty) replace the unit. Shop around and check with Chris at Superior he provides discounts to forum members as well as your local chevy parts dealer may also discount the price (ask) but its about $129. each. If you have a lift you access it front underneath near the exhaust, if you don't I found it very easy to remove the rear wheel and the fender inner liner (a few torx screws) and you have direct access to it from inside the fender well. The cables power and antenna connect under the trim panel (on coupes) about near the latch. Drive side trim is loosened, rear trim removed, you find the cable assemblies inside the insulation. Tie a long string to them before you pull them through makes it real easy to install by retying the string to the new cables and pulling them back through the bulkhead. Antenna motor mounts with a couple bolts there. Takes about 30-45 minutes.

:seeya

[Modified by 93JetJocky, 9:45 AM 1/27/2004]
Old 01-27-2004, 10:56 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (93JetJocky)

Lani, please cc me on any and all posts you make. I haven't read one yet that couldn't be copied and pasted verbatim into a personal Tech Tips document....

:yesnod: :lol: :thumbs:
Old 01-27-2004, 11:21 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (C4Crazy787)

Welcome and congrads.... looks like you got some good info... good luck :thumbs:
Old 01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
johnnyzvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Corvette world.....I see you got yourself a 92....I'm a fairly new Corvette owner myself . I also have a 92...got it last September! Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you on your wise purchase and welcome you....I love my car :auto:
Old 01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (tobijohn)

Hey John how are you and yours?

You mean on my long winded ramblings :lol: I presume you mean direct email cc right, otherwise not sure how to do that through the forum? Sometimes I never know exactly how much to post, so I end up abbreviating alot. One never can tell the level of experience the requestor has, so I'm hesitant to sound like a moron for stating steps that are common knowledge and bore people.

Are you two coming up for the Cruise-In this weekend (well thurs-sat)? I haven't decided on Friday yet at Race Rock, but for sure I'll be at the show on Saturday and hopefully on into Pleasure Island.

Take care.

Oh and for the newbie's your best friend will be the 'red' service manual set for your year vehicle. They are worth their weight no matter how much they cost. Also for those who have yet joined NCM or picked up the laminated original window sticker and dealer brochure. Wow its really a special treat and its almost like re-living the new car experience. I just got mine and what a thrill it was. Definitely framing material. Although I have a few questions about the build sheet but that is for another post. Anyway folks welcome to the forum. It's an awesome vehicle you have.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions (93JetJocky)

Things are fine. Don't worry about emailing me with your replies, I'll just periodically do a search and see what topics you've participated in :) .

As for this week-end, I'm just getting over this flu thing and my significant other is in the midst of it so if I make it up there at all, it would be a Saturday day trip. Take care and maybe I'll see ya this week-end....
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Newer Owner 'stupid' questions

Old 01-27-2004, 03:19 PM
dabird
Intermediate

Congrats to you to, johnnyz!

Where can I get the red service manuals (at the dealer)? What is NCM? The build sheet/sticker sound very cool indeed.

thanks again to all - i have a convertable so am not sure about the wiring location references but the rest of the antenna unit replacement sounds fairly straight forward enough for me to tackle. $125 for this part sounds extremely high, though. Guess I might need to get used to that.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:45 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Where can I get the red service manuals (at the dealer)?
You've got a few options: eBay, http://www.factoryautomanuals.com or http://www.helminc.com. I just did a search of eBay using "1992 Corvette service manual" and there are three currently listed. Factorymanuals.com is where I got mine but I checked and the 1992 is out of stock. Helm has it but it's $90. Welcome and good luck...

EDIT: It's a two book set so make sure you get both!

[Modified by tobijohn, 4:50 PM 1/27/2004]
Old 01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

John got you covered on the Helms manual with some good suggestions. You can also get them from Ecklers or perhaps MAD. FYI Helms is the OEM publisher for GM.

NCM - National Corvette Museum http://www.corvettemuseum.com/ If you go for the window sticker opt for the laminate its worth the extra $5.00. The $15. for the dealer brochure is a real treat.

On the vert, remove the left side carpet retainers and pull back carpet. You'll find them there. The antenna unit (pn 10156160) list is 161.78 net 125.00 (price from local chevy parts invoice) Check with Chris at Superior he may be a few dollars cheaper. This is for a brand new GM antenna, there may be aftermarket units a little cheaper my personal position on this is I always try to use OEM parts, but that's just me others may be different. If you haven't got your manuals I can post specific procedures and torque values to re-install this thing. Just let me know.

Just a sidebar note on the cost of things, I look at it this way. It didn't get to be a $38,000. plus vehicle by GM using cheap parts. An example of how things tend to go which gave me a little chuckle reading my window sticker... the base stereo is an am/fm cassette, add 1333. for electronic AC, bose am//fm cassette and power driver seat, then add another 396. for the bose am/fm cassette CD. They seem reasonable in option groups at the time of new purchase but now years later we are getting the parts replaced one at a time. LOL too bad we can buy a new AC, stereo and power seat all for 1300. Parts may sometimes seem a little pricey.

Others may have different views. The point to consider is getting setup with the dealer and parts houses that provide you with the best service and pricing. Folks are real good here about letting you know where the deals are. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Newer Owner 'stupid' questions