C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
fly944
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE

Looking for some feedback. I currently own a 911 and have owned nothing but Porsches. For some reason Ive got the itch for a V8.The C4 Vette ws my first choice. Im looking for a realiable well handling car with Ac. Ive only driven 1 C4 and it was an 86 w/auto trans. The car wasnt bad, but had a bunch of problems and I must have a manual trans. How realiable are these cars? What years came with six speeds? How realiable and smooth are these trannys? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 08:28 PM
belmor
Safety Car

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (fly944)

89' started the 6 speed, L98 engine was in them until 91' then went to the LT1, both good engines and there is debate over wich is better, the rule when buying a C4 is get the newest you can afford. The ZF6 is a little notchier than the Poshche trans but not too bad Z07 adj. suspension is a good option as long as it is working
Ben
Old 01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (belmor)

Welcome fly944, find yourself a clean (meaning in good shape and tight) C4 and take it for a good drive. I'd suggest a '95 or '96. I think once you drive it, you'll realize that it's a completely different car than the porsche and you'll never look back.

Mark
Old 01-18-2004, 08:41 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (MyRedC4)

What are you planning on using it for?

Track car find yourself a car with "Z51" suspension ('96 for e.g.), it has the most autocross friendly suspension and isn't too bad on the road.

I've tried a bunch of 6 speeds (I'm an auto) and I think (someone back me up here) it was '93 in which the clutch went from Popeye left leg pressure to something more manageable.

Like my mechanic said (he's been working exclusively on Vettes for 35 years) "in '95 and '96 they had the car right...all those cars came in for was oil and brakes".
Old 01-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

If you want a 6-speed, might as well go ahead and get an LT4. 1996 only, very special car, as drivable as any of them.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:22 PM
NightRyder
Pro

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (MinnesotaWhite)

just so you can see the other side of the fence;

"Z51" suspension ('96 for e.g.), it has the most autocross friendly suspension and isn't too bad on the road.
Ive got the Z52 (mostly Z51, just a few things less, like powersteering cooler) and i dont mind the bumps at all. In fact one of my things to change is to a newer/stiffer shock.

it was '93 in which the clutch went from Popeye left leg pressure to something more manageable.
I've got a '87, so I guess ive got a popeye leg, because; yes it is very stiff vs. the honda I drove before, but after a few weeks you get use to it real nice like. Infact, I like the stiffness alot on this, I think too weak, and your apt to over do your subtle movments. (like I now do, and sometimes did, in the honda. There just wasnt any pressure back towards your foot) Granted, the 93's+ probably arnt anywhere near that soft.

[Modified by NightRyder, 6:25 PM 1/18/2004]
Old 01-18-2004, 10:00 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

You don't state the year of your Porsche. The Vette has it's pro's and con's. The fit and finish of C4's may not be quite what you are used to in the German engineered porsche. I always say that to be a Vette owner, you have to like Vettes. (I have since I was a kid). Vettes have their quirks like the squeeks and rattles, consoles that peel away, targa tops(clear) that get stress cracks, cd players that die, the opti-spark design, and did I metion squeeks and rattles? As far as the LT cars go (my only experience) they are quick, easy to get parts for, pretty darn reliable, the 6-speed tranny is good and strong as hell, they handle well (smoothe roads) look good, and can perform with the Porsche, with mods out run a 911 turbo. I'm sure the maintenance will be less $$ with the Vette. The Vette is a great performance car for the $$. The torque makes for more fun @ daily driver speeds And the V8 engine sounds tougher than a Porsche. Look for the nicest ones you can find regardless of price (you get what you pay for) and drive it. I would take a Vette over a non-turbo Porsche (a very nice car) any day. I love the Turbo Porsche, but way too much $$$$$$

[Modified by TOO_HOTTVETTE, 10:00 PM 1/18/2004]
Old 01-18-2004, 10:18 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I would drive several different examples of a C4 to narrow your choices down. Late 80's and 90 had the same engine and body. In 90 there was a newer interior and the ZR1 was introduced. '91 had the L98 (same engine) but the body was updated. In 92 the LT1 was introduced. 93 was the 40th anniv and had a special package to designate the 40th. 95 and 96 are supposed to be the best years of the C4 and '96 was the last year of the C4. '95 was the last year of the ZR1. '96 had several special addition packages to mark the end of the C4...one was the CE...Collectors Edition...special paint among other things and you could get it with the LT4 engine and the GS...Grandsport ..which had special paint, wheels and other options and was available only with the LT4 and the six speed. The ZR1 is also an amazing vette and worth a look. What about a convertible? All came with a soft top and some came with a hard top. Many choices. I would start looking a different years and figure out what you want and need and that will help narrow your choices down. Overall they are very reliable and parts are easily available. Good luck with your search. :)
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 PM
ncsugreywolf
Racer

First thing....Welcome to the Forum!!

You won't find a more knowledgeable crowd than here about any type of vette made.

I can only offer advice on which I have experience. The '95 LT-1 coupe 6 speed that I have is what I had thought the vette would be. Performance, the power, interior(not too bad few rattles here and there), and overall an A+ car.

Have you driven a newr model vette yet? What kind of money are you looking to spend? Are you locked in on just the C4 ('84-'96)models?
If you decided on just a C4... you can go from an older coupe and spend less$$ or spend quite a few bucks on a ZR-1..which still to me one of the top of the line performance sports car ever built especially the 93-95 years.

Like I said before...these folks around here know their vettes and can help ya with just about anything!!

Good Luck!! :cheers:

Joal

P.S.
"When" you get your vette please post some pics here..I'd love to see it!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:16 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome aboard.

I don't know your budget limits, but, the first rule, buy the newest you can afford.

Prices are all over the map. Some are good, some, the dealers/owners are on crack.

You should not pay over $20k for a GREAT C4... no more then $30k for a ZR1.

Clarification: The Z52 has the soft ride springs... the Z51 has the hard ride springs... the other common parts are quick ratio power steering and a cross beam under the car. among other things.

Problem areas:

Everywhere. This is a GM car... remember that. ANYTHING can wear out and or break. I mean ANYTHING. So far, I have replaced (mine 92 has 122k miles on it):

Ujoints
Power window motor (left)
turn signal
wiper switch
stereo
alternator
starter
2 distributors
2 waterpumps
all 4 wheel bearings
a-pillar seal
rear window seal
parking break cover
power antenna mast
intake oil leak
rear main oil leak
oil pain oil leak
driver side power seat rail

What needs tended to:

front main is leaking
The rear transverse leaf spring has started to delaminate... I also need shocks.
Suspension bushings are wearing/worn out.
passengers side seat rails
both seats lumbar and wings.

These cars are also prone to electrical gremlins...

Before you consider buying, get a copy of the Corvette Black Book. About 14.00 or so.

Before you select your Corvette, run a carfax. If it's in another state Get a Forum member to check it out!!!!! I cannot be more emphatic. More people have been hurt by bad out of state deals... Also - GET CARFAX.

If I was buying a C4 right now? I would want a 96 LT4. They are the best of the breed... It is a tuned up version of the LT1... 330hp (tho more like 350~360 is more realistic). Came only with the 6pd.

It's still a crap shoot, too...

In short, these are dyamically satisfying cars... but can be heart breaking. Don't depend on low mileage being the end-all-be-all... these cars don't respond well to sitting. Getting a 96 with 55k miles would be a perfect car to get... low enough to not be worn out, driven enough not to have rotted away.

I love mine... warts and all... everytime I get a little tired of it, I drive it, and I feel better!

Just helping... I want everyone to be aware of what could be wrong. In all honesty, mine has NEVER stranded me... NEVER... it did have to be towed once, and that was when the clutch line ruptured. But it still limped home!

Finally, when you buy your Vette, get a helms manual... http://www.helminc.com

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-19-2004, 12:23 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Depending on the years, you will love the power, but be unimpressed with the brakes, steering feel, and tightness compared to that of the Porsche. I bought my 96 LT4(6sp) over a 91 C2(5sp) because of lower operating costs, better a/c and it is easier to work on as well as many more to choose from. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a '96 if you can. Mainly because all '96 6-speed's had the LT4 engine. The LT4 is officially rated @ 330hp by GM but seems most are closer to 340 -350hp at the crank. Only drawback to an LT4 car is that since they are unique (they put the LT4 in the Vette in 1996 model year only) you might be reluctant to put miles on it, worrying about devaluing it. Mianly because as the years pass the LT4 cars will become much more collectible than the LT1's.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (bogus)

:lol: :lol: and as you said before, it only continues.... :cheers:
Old 01-19-2004, 01:22 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (vinnies87)

Welcome to the forum. Until last year, I too have always had atleast one Porsche in my garage. You can understand this, as you have a 76, when I spent 7 grand rebuilding my 2.7 only to have 220 hp I had to find a better way. I am about to have over 650hp in my vette. To get a Porsche there would cost 25grand plus. I know, my buddy has 633hp in his 89 turbo and cost almost 30 grand to get there. Take Excellence's advice and buy as new of a C4( in good condition) as you can afford. If you want some pics of my last 911 email me. It was convertible with RSR flairs with 13"rear wheels, slope nose with DP style body. Yellow/black
Old 01-19-2004, 06:12 AM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (BAM92)

I don't think it is that big a deal. Buy what seems to be a nice C4, and if after 6-12 months or whatever you don't like it, get rid. They seem to hold their value pretty well, so what's to lose. I got mine (and loads of other cars) on this principle, and I love it. But if I get a hankering after a Porsche or w.h.y., then ,providing I can afford it - I will get one.

The best thing about a C4 - often not stressed enough, is the legendary Chevy V8 motor (in whatever guise). Masses of aftermarket parts, easily available (even here in England). No two modded cars seem to be the same, so you can really personalise your car.

Go for it - I'm glad I did!
:party:
Old 01-19-2004, 07:01 AM
FX GS
Pro

Das is goot!!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:29 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advice given to the you about a C4 here shows what a great group of people C4 owners are. It makes me want to go buy a second C4:jester

There hasn't been talking down of other models either, even some recomendation to consider a later model. Depending on what you want, I would also recommend trying a C5. I personally don't care for them as much as C4s but think they are better performance sports cars from a technical standpoint. Main difference being a more rigid structure.

You were also given a couple of lists of the C4s warts, although I tend to think of them as beauty marks :) They seemed pretty spot on too.

I also second or third what others have said about getting a late model example in the best condition you care to pay for. They did improve gradually over the years and the 96 LT4 6 speed is about the best combination of refinement and performance that you will find in a C4. The differences between it and other late model C4s isn't Earth shattering, but then neither is the price difference.

Reliability isn't m uch differnt than any big Chevy, meaning fairly good. Plus, you stand a lot better chance of getting it fixed in Podunk, USA than you do a more exotic car.

One pleasant surprise for me was how incredibly comfortable the car was on a long drive. The ride varies depending on the model, but the seating position and construction of the seats in my 96 makes it real comfortable.

Th LT4 engine is really nice, it hauls butt, but will still pull like a truck engine at low speed.

Get notified of new replies

To pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE

Old 01-19-2004, 12:47 PM
FC2000
Advanced

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (xs650)

Her is my 3 cents worth
I've had a pristine Porsche Carrera 1987 and thought it was a great car....but I too wanted the torque of a V8. Owned an 85 Vette that was total junk.
My brother has a 1986 930 Turbo. Great car but $$$$$
I bought a 1990 ZR-1. Much better build quality than the 85 Vette.
Unbelievable car for the money. They are giving them away today...but that might not last for long. $20,000 or less can get a low miles ZR-1. and it will outrun just about everything out there. And don't let people scare you off the LT5 motor. Not that hard to work on and they are nearly bullit proof. (and no....Mine is not for sale!!!) :party:
Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Storz
Melting Slicks

My 87 has 133k on it and runs like a champ, has the manual trans too
Old 01-19-2004, 02:37 PM
anjdog2003
Team Owner

Received 700 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'17

Default Re: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE (MyRedC4)

[QUOTE]Welcome fly944, find yourself a clean (meaning in good shape and tight) C4 and take it for a good drive. I'd suggest a '95 or '96. I think once you drive it, you'll realize that it's a completely different car than the porsche and you'll never look back.

Mark[/QUOTE Definately a 95 or 96. With the Zo7 suspension package if you can Iam also a Owner of the nice german vehicles. The build quality wont be up to par as the porsche. But the vette can more than hold itself with the porsche. And ALOT cheaper to maintain.

:thumbs:

Quick Reply: pORSCHE OWNER CONSIDERING A VETTE