C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:37 PM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback

well which one is louder? i have a friend that has a flowmaster exhaust so i can compare loudness to that. I was looking at the Magnaflow SS mufflers (not catback) and was wondering which will be louder on the highway/steet. thanks
Old 11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
11yellowgscpe
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (deiaggie)

Don't know if there louder, nothing to compare to , but, I like my Magnoflows. I have been told that my car sounds like what a vette is suppose to sound like.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:35 PM
MrWiggly
Racer

Location: Sunny Seaside Seabrook Texas (a whole 'nother country)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (dakotaqc)

Do you have the SS magnaflows with the 4" round tips? How do they look on a C-4 (I have a red 92)? How loud in regular city driving? Thanks :smash:
Old 11-10-2003, 07:00 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (Lordmrwiggly)

Use the magnapacks if you want loud :D
Old 11-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (deiaggie)

I replaced muff elims with Magnaflow polished SS. 1st, the Magna's are great looking, real eye candy. 2nd, they are quieter than the elims, but I've noticed they have gotten somewhat louder after the install of 6 weeks ago.

I have custom polished SS custom dual tips, not Magana tips so I can't answer your other question.

I am very pleased with the Magna's!

:yesnod:
Old 11-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (Beautiful Beast)

I replaced muff elims with Magnaflow polished SS. 1st, the Magna's are great looking, real eye candy. 2nd, they are quieter than the elims, but I've noticed they have gotten somewhat louder after the install of 6 weeks ago.

I have custom polished SS custom dual tips, not Magana tips so I can't answer your other question.

I am very pleased with the Magna's!

:yesnod:
:iagree: I love mine as well, I have the catback system, with the 3" OEM tips. It was installed about 4 months ago, I loved the sound right off the bat, and mine too has become louder since then. The tips extend about an inch from the rear bumper, that coupled with the fact that I have a ZF-6 w/3.33 gearing keeps the cabin resonance levels pretty low at any speed.

This system will no doubt roar ALOT, as soon I have headers, pre-cat delete, and hi-flow mian cat installed very soon......they say its close to BB sound.

It has a low-end roar to it now, a lower note than Flowmasters from my (limited) experience.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:07 PM
McShagger
Safety Car

To answer the question, the Flowmasters are louder. But loudness isnt everything. The Magnaflows really sound great. Not to put down Flowmaster. I think they sound good too. But I think if you didnt see the car driving by and just heared it, you might think "That truck/mustang sounds pretty damn good." With the Magnaflows, it would be more like, "Damn, that sounds bitchin' what was it?"
Old 11-11-2003, 05:21 PM
knp
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (McShagger)

The Magnaflows really sound great. ... (snip) ... With the Magnaflows, it would be more like, "Damn, that sounds bitchin' what was it?"
After all of the positive reviews of the Magnaflows, I've ordered them & will be stopping by the shop next week to have them installed. :thumbs:
Old 11-11-2003, 06:07 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I think that the FlowMasters are more efficent, in getting out exhaust, so they are probably louder. Performance/HP/Noise. I'm also using Random Tech Cat.
Hot!
tony
:flag
Old 11-11-2003, 06:34 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

I have the Magnaflows and love them (pics in link in sig). I beleive the Flowmasters are louder in and out of the car.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:19 PM
OrthoAggie
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (LT-4 CE)

how are the magnaflows on long drives? can you have a conversation without yelling? Do they drone after a while? I am actually looking for a fairly quiet exhaust when on the highway but i like the looks of the magnaflows a lot and they are alot cheaper than the corsa system
Old 11-11-2003, 10:06 PM
McShagger
Safety Car

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (oldace84)

I think that the FlowMasters are more efficent, in getting out exhaust, so they are probably louder. Performance/HP/Noise.
Im not too sure about that. I looked at that Flowmasters and all those chambers just seemed to cause a lot of restriction in airflow to me. And its just my perception after looking at them all... but I believe that the Magnaflows have better performance than other systems. Of course that could be because Mario Andretti is the spokesman for Magnaflow. ;) I kinda like to know which has the best performance.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
11yellowgscpe
Burning Brakes

My Magnaflows got louder after eliminating the pre-cats and installing a flow through cat on my 90. As for talking on long trip. Whem I went to Corvette Weekend in Ocean City, Md, had no trouble talking to the better half. And when you back off you get a mellow rumble.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:19 AM
CorvetteKid1983
Advanced

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (dakotaqc)

If you want to know how a Vette should sound (or atleast one owned by a 20 year old :lol: ) Go all out and get the muffler eliminators. The sounds is awesome. Loudest by far (obviously) but not the most tuned or deepest. I wanted to increase my head turn factor (maybe including some officers) and went with B&B high flow performance cats. I kept the resonator and everything is great. The car is pretty quiet at an idle, but watch out when you put it down. Resonance is nothing compared to a Flowmaster, uhhhhh, which is a downside for Flowmaster.

Flowmaster has a loud and aggressive sound, but Magnaflow is deeper and a lot more tuned. If you want a more tuned, high performance sounding, expensive sound, go with the Magnaflows. I think the Magnaflows are more expensive though? :confused: I might be wrong though. I just can't argue with what $80 in pipe can do to release the awesome sound of 350 cubic inches.

Simple Point: Go with the Magnaflows
Old 11-12-2003, 12:11 PM
4-ACES
Pro

See my sig.. Go w/ the Magnaflows you'll love em. :thumbs:
Old 11-12-2003, 12:43 PM
betooz
Instructor

Default Re: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback (4-ACES)

:iagree: Yes the look and sound AWESOME! They hang kind of low with the stock hangers so, when you take it to the exhaust shop, make sure the shorten the hangers for a good fit. Good luck.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback

Quick Reply: Which exhaust is louder- magnaflow mufflers of flowmaster catback