Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 09:29 PM
comp94
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (ScottsLT1)

corsa exhaust being quiet at a cruising speed is part of the appeal too me. i like that fact that a can go on a 10 hour trip and not get annoyed buy the sound of the exhaust overwhelming everything else, like the radio and the girlfriend (mabey a louder exhaust would be a nice thing in this case......jk......just a little joke). then at WOT its sounds ohhh so sweet. put that together with a straight through design, fit and quality. this is the reason i bought mine. but its like they say too each their own.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (comp94)

Corvette: Grand Touring with a muscle car soundtrack.

However, I don't want to be deafened by said soundtrack.

Corsa's are fine by me.

Patrick - remove the system and put your elims back on.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:11 AM
GS470
Racer

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (94 Octane)

GS470 ,

How do you get around the O2 sensors (on a 94)?

I'm beginning to think the best way to approach this is to start with headers and work my way back. This would set the stage for future engine mods, like a cam and heads.

Any suggestions?
When I had the car tuned/reprogrammed this past summer at DRM, I had them take care of the O2 sensor issue. I think they configure the program to not report the dirty exhaust and now my "Service Engine" light doesn't come on any more. Without the cats the exhaust is a little stinky, but aside from that it runs great!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:13 PM
TuffShift
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (GS470)

If you want to hear how loud a Corsa can get, yank the cats and install longtube headers. Mine is LOUD when I put my foot into it. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but you will scare small children and the elderly when you nail it. But there's still no resonance. :thumbs:
I can second that motion! My combo had exactly that, LT headers, lopey cam, Corsa exhaust and NO CATS. My only real complaint was that the sound was very "tinny" and "crackly" and lacked the depth of sound that should accompany a performance set up.

But the other person is right, it was liveable at idle and mostly quiet with hardly a hint of resonance at cruising speeds. But when you got into it, even the bugs ran for cover.

I ended up installing some Hi Flow cats from TPIS to balance out the sound a bit and make the car "street-legal" once again.
:auto: :seeya
Old 11-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (Patrick96LT4)

My CORSAs have a tube that runs into the cabin of the car...I get very drowsy when sitting at red lights!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (Patrick96LT4)

Just when I order and receive my Corsa exhaust, I have to read this. I was looking for something throaty, and more "muscular" than the stock exhaust. Please don't tell me I wasted my money, and should've went with the Magnaflows. If so, I'm selling the Corsas today.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (TM-96CE)

Tim, you didn't waste you money! The CORSA system is one high quality exhaust system and many of us are using it on our C4s, and many more on their C5s. I don't know what these guys are talking about that say air doesn't come out of both sides of the pipes...I have felt air coming out both ports!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 PM
ScottsLS3
Pro

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (Eric 96)

Tim, you didn't waste you money! The CORSA system is one high quality exhaust system and many of us are using it on our C4s, and many more on their C5s. I don't know what these guys are talking about that say air doesn't come out of both sides of the pipes...I have felt air coming out both ports!
Really??? How do you explain that on side get totally covered in soot and the other side is clean as a whistle? do you take your car over 1500rpms ever? :confused:
Old 11-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Really??? How do you explain that on side get totally covered in soot and the other side is clean as a whistle? do you take your car over 1500rpms ever? :confused:
Air does flow through both tips at idle and low rpm useage. The soot that is associated with WOT, will only be on the inner tips (hence the stright pipe design)

Instead of bitching about it, why don't you just paint the insides of both tips flat black, as I've seen other members do.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:40 PM
ScottsLS3
Pro

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (Jeffvette)

I dont think i should have to paint the tips black on a $700-800 system.
I did one better and got rid of it!!!! I'm not bitching just adding to pats post. I think for the money its a kinda hokey setup. I had to wipe the tips every time i drove it cuz i felt like a ricer with some phoney system that was all show and no go. I'll tell you this if corsa had a 3 inch that flows equally from both sides I'd get rid of the B&B but until then B&B for me. I 'll let you go back to painting you $800 exhaust tips now. :rolleyes:
Old 11-06-2003, 03:42 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

So..... its what nearly $1000 for pretty sooty tips?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

I 'll let you go back to painting you $800 exhaust tips now. :rolleyes:
Roll your eyes all you want. Mine are still polished. Only time I clean them is when I wash the car or go to a show. Other than that, I could care how they look, as when I blow by somebody they're not looking to see if one tip is working or not.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:34 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well - I went ahead an had my Corsa exhaust installed. I did away with the resonator, and added a Magnaflow x-pipe in it's place. I don't know how quiet the rest of your cars are, but mine is far from it. This thing "rocks". This is exactly the sound I was hoping for. Resonance.......yep, but I love it.

If you want to make your Corsa exhaust louder, put an x-pipe in place of the resonator. BTW - I still have my factory cats.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you? (Strick)

As promised the reply from Corsa:
Tom,

Glad you and your friend are enjoying his new CORSA exhaust system. I hope we can get a system on your car as well!

You are correct, really only one tip works on these C4 systems. With our RSC technology, the mufflers need to be a single in single out set up. We would have made a "Y" out of the muffler to have exhaust flow out of both tips, but we just do not have enough space to do this either. In order to make the mufflers work the way they do, we have some space limitations,and we can do some much without compromising we the sound.

On a 368cid ZR-1 Corvette, Vette Doctors in NY dyno tested our system against a 3" B&B system. With the B&B, the car made 436 HP to the rear wheels. With our system installed, we made 438 HP to the wheels. Our mufflers flow very well and going to a larger size would most likely hurt low end torque. So going bigger is not always better!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again,

Jim Browning Jr.
Corsa Performance
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:21 PM
To: Jim Browning Jr
Subject: Suggestion for improvement

I'm a Corvette owner (92) and I just finished installing one of your systems on a friends 94 Corvette (LT1). The installation was very easy and all the parts fit beautifully. The sound was just what we were looking for. Now for the suggestion. On our forum, https://www.corvetteforum.com , there is considerable discussion on the mufflers. One tip is basically straight through design and the other is not used or used very little. One guy tore his apart and found the one tip is closed. Some Vette guys deciding on which cat back system to go with don't like the idea of one tip not working. I know it would be expensive for you to offer a muffler with both tips equally functional, but I think this would be the move that would make me, and others, go with your system. Another marketing advantage would be to go with 3" piping instead of your size, maybe make it an option. I know that sometimes too big is not helpful, but, again, most Vette guys compare numbers and like to go with the bigger ones.

Tell your workers they are making a very nice product, especially the center muffler with the crossover tube. I'm also impressed with the hardware (especially the Torca clamps) supplied with the system. Keep up the good work.

Tom Strickland (Strick, on the forum)

So there is the word from Corsa. I still like the system. Just haven't bought it yet.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make your Corsa's LOUDER.... wait... can you?