C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to buy a Vette (C4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Darcane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to buy a Vette (C4)

So, I'm looking at buying my first Corvette. I want an LT1 powered C4 coupe with a manual. Actually, I want a new Z06 but there's no way I could afford that. So far I've only found one (with 108K miles) in my price range and I plan on test driving it this weekend.

Anyways, I want to know what some of the common problems are with these cars so that I keep an eye out for them while I'm looking for a Vette. I know the Optispark can be problematic, but I haven't seen what the symptoms of a failing optispark are? Does it just suddenly die? Or do they tend to start missing and gradually stop working? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

[Modified by Darcane, 7:14 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-28-2003, 02:25 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (Darcane)

Welcome!

Don't let the mileage scare you... 108 is not a problem....

things to look for...

noises. the drivetrain should be reasonably quiet whilst driving.

clunks. that could mean any number of things!

the manual (ZF 6spd) will make a racket in neutral, whilst idling... nothing unusual.

The opti will wear out, slow and painful. Check maintenance records. If it is the original, with 108k miles, it ain't gonna be long for this world.

Check the waterpump. It is a direct drive unit that can be found right below the air intake. It has a weap hole on the underside. if there is dampness down there, you need a new waterpump.

They should run about 200* when idling, with the A/C on...

Check tire wear. It should be even.

Throttle response should be quick. if not, be concerned.

check to be sure all features work. Seats are a problem... the electric seats will fail... not if. don't let it be a show stopper, tho.

The bose stereo is another problem area. If there is aftermarket, this is a good thing!

anything I missed?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (bogus)

And "whildst" concerned here...what might it be? :p:
-Rick
Old 10-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Billy
Instructor

First is how much you looking to spend$$$$$
DONT get in a hurry!
There not much resale on a sportscar with over 100K
Check autotrader for market prices.
Dont be afraid to throw out a low ball offer.
Check car fax and maint. records
Dont buy a piece of poopie...wait save more money!
Buy from a private owner if possible,
Good Luck!!!!! Billy
Old 10-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Darcane
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette

Thanks for the replies.

I want to keep it under $12K if possible, and I would need to finance for that. Unfortunately, my bank only gives out loans for cars '97+ so I'd need to figure out a loan from somewhere else. This is all new to me, since I've never had car payments before.

Most of the similar cars I've seen in this area run $10-15K, but I've only found a couple with manuals. And all of the manual Vettes are on the high end of the price range.

The car that I've found is from a very small dealership in a very small town. They don't have their own financing or warranties. While these both make me a little nervous, what's really got me spooked is that their asking price is several thousand less than every other similar car at $9000. I took a quick look at it yesterday and there is nothing obviously wrong with the car except that it's missing the head unit on the stereo. Oh, and it has that hideously red leather interior. I've got the carfax report; it comes up with nothing bad and indicates a total of four owners.

I've always worked on my own cars (my '68 Chevy C10 has EFI, OD auto tranny, and is currently get disc brakes), so it's not a problem if it isn't perfect. But, I want to know what I'm getting into before I buy a car.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (cicch95)

And "whildst" concerned here...what might it be? :p:
-Rick
oops.

"whilst"

as for problems? Any number of things... clogged cats, bad O2 sensors, worn engine internals, poor maintenance... take your pick.

[Modified by bogus, 3:44 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-28-2003, 04:01 PM
vet95mb98
Instructor

If you buy from private party. Make sure you bring someone who knows vettes, not someone that has one. A vette mechanic. Or bring it to a corvette shop. usually they charge about 125 bucks to check it out for you. Well worth it. Also maintenance records are nice. Dont compromise. Take your time. Sometimes you can steal one, at a great price. I looked for over a year. And got more than i expected. And i run a corvette shop. Like picking a fine women. Dont rush. :)
Old 10-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Teh Nam
Melting Slicks

for financing try http://www.peoplefirst.com they financed mine as well as several other members vetts.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:10 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its always love at first sight..don't like rush it like prom night. . . :jester
Keep your head on straight and make sure you really thought over all the cars you looked at. If there is something just not right...check it out. Listen to your gut...its smart.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

If you know your cars (generically), you'll not have a problem evaluating a Corvette. It IS just another car, after all....albeit a very special one.
Make sure you know what works and what doesn't on the car you are looking at. Operate every power device SEVERAL times. Listen for strange noises, the only one that's normal will be a slightly "rattle-y" gearbox. Some body creaks are normal on the pre-95 models.
Push every button, move every lever....make sure something HAPPENS when you do!
Drive it....for at least 20 minutes to get everything up to temp. Note: they run hot, so 220 deg is no cause for alarm. Run through all the digital gages (if it has 'em)
As someone said, don't be afraid to walk away from a questionable example. They are real easy to fall in love with, but, like women, there is always another one just around the corner....

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 10-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Charlutz
Racer

Oh, and it has that hideously red leather interior. I've got the carfax report; it comes up with nothing bad and indicates a total of four owners.
Hey, new guy, be careful with that spoutin'!!!!! :mad

That hideously red interior is a corvette tradition. The first corvettes in 53 all had it and it is a coveted option by many. Many owners will pay a hefty premium for cars with that interior as original equipment.

Having a little fun with you. I hated the red interior in my car when I first got it, but it grows on you in a good way. Now, the only reason I'd get anything else in a vette would be if I couldn't find one as they are somewhat rare, and pricey. Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (Teh Nam)

I was going to suggest the same thing, but they are now "CapitalOneAutoFinance.com"

They financed my 93' with 70K. I probably shouldn't say this except for the fact its nearly paid off now... I had a new Blazer I was blessed with from a divorce. Those things do not hold any value. Anyway long story short, I rolled 7K negative equity onto the 13.5K I paid for the vette and financed 21K. I believe it was fairly low rates for the time period something like 7%. So the Corvette was able to absorb the extra, solved a major problem for me, satisfied a lifelong dream, and pisses the ex off.

Lots of good suggestions. The LT1 is a good strong engine so if its been cared for the mileage shouldn't be a major factor. Mine just turned 100K and you really couldn't tell. Actually most don't believe it when I tell them.

Generally I'd look for mods and try to determine why and what for if something is evident. Some mods are going to be just fine if not a plus, but what you don't want to see is some one doing a hack job at some repair. Look for paint work, that should get you curious to look deeper.

Take your time. Don't just jump at the first one unless its a garage queen in an estate sales.

Try to learn more about the vehicle to reduce your risk. Granted its a risk no matter how you approach it. Since you mentioned you can wrench that's a plus. Corvettes for this matter are not much different than any other car, what I mean is one day everything is fine, you park it get out come back and something major is broke. Its just the nature of the beast.

Do a mental inventory of what you think will need to be replaced and get some numbers so you know how much your willing to spend in the event it becomes a project.

If you take your time the right one will come. Its nice when all the toys work too.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:27 PM
DarkRed95
Racer

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (Billy)

First is how much you looking to spend$$$$$
DONT get in a hurry!
There not much resale on a sportscar with over 100K
Check autotrader for market prices.
Dont be afraid to throw out a low ball offer.
Check car fax and maint. records
Dont buy a piece of poopie...wait save more money!
Buy from a private owner if possible,
Good Luck!!!!! Billy
:iagree:

I Agree never be in a hurry! You are a young take your time. This is a good time of the year to buy one because of seasonal thing, and the holidays the economy (people need to get rid of it ect). In my opinion if this is a second car then mileage is no problem. Don't forget the insurance, and the interest rate. I'm saying this because no car, boat ect is worth the debt if it's a killer none, I mean none you will pay for it for years! There an old saying the best day is when you buy it and when you sell it, you don't want that! It is better to wait and then buy a better car, use that money when you want and go to the next level up to get a better car that way it's not a big hit! Never let them own you, you own them! Best of luck with your decision!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link I've been saving for an occassion like this. A lot of advice is universal, while some of it is L-98 or LT-1 specific. Good luck!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=418027
Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
DarkRed95
Racer

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (dtorc4)

Here's a link I've been saving for an occassion like this. A lot of advice is universal, while some of it is L-98 or LT-1 specific. Good luck!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=418027
:iagree:

Also here is a site that will tell the differences of the C4!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4310/vetfacts.htm

Also the Corvette Spec book is great!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...777443-0564954 Best price I know of!

[Modified by DarkRed95, 10:00 AM 10/29/2003]
Old 10-29-2003, 11:15 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Great sdvice here. Buy a convertible. Nothin like cruisin the twisty back roads with the top down and the tunes cranked. Also ditch the exhaust system and put on somthin agressive sounding! Have fun! :auto: :auto: :auto: :steering:
Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (corvetteronw)

you said your budget is 12k? well i dont know if this will be what you want to hear or not but i got my beautiful black on black manual 96 LT4 coupe with 120k miles for 12k! old guy didnt know what he had! had to go to atlanta to get it but what a fun drive back!

Get notified of new replies

To How to buy a Vette (C4)

Old 10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
jtb
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (1996man)

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...2/58416232.htm

(side note: 1996man, are you going to the track tonight?)
Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (Charlutz)

LT1's are leak-prone. Check intake, front cross member under the oil pan, rear main seal, oil pan and valve cover gaskets.

Also look at the weatherstrip, as it's mucho expensive to replace. If it has the FX3 suspension, check and see if the shock actuators work or are leaking oil.

[Modified by onedef92, 1:59 PM 10/29/2003]
Old 10-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Darcane
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (jtb)

jtb - This is the exact car I've been looking at. The dealership is very small with only three people there and they deal primarily in sports cars and imports.

1996man - While I'd love an LT4, and I am keeping '96 vettes in my search, I'm not really expecting to find one.

Charlutz - While the heritage thing is cool, I still think it's ugly. :) Even in the '53. Maybe I can trade it to someone with a black interior...

Everyone else - Thanks for all the tips and especially the links! I think I should have a good handle on my car shopping now.

One other thing, is there a list somewhere of what all the RPO codes are? And where is the build sheet on the C4?

Quick Reply: How to buy a Vette (C4)