Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:12 AM
vettespd20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE?

This may sound dumb but I found a great deal (trading to cars for the work) with a guy that will rebuild my locked up crossfire. he will use lots of strong parts in the lower end, and port the intake, Throttle bodies a little, and the L98 heads he is putting in it. He is also going to powder coat the engine and some of the parts. He will also paint the car black for me and put BLUE ghoste flames down it. Do u guys think this would look right on a C4 84 vette or is it to old school??? Also if i ever decide to sell it do u think i will be able to get a lot of cash out of it??? I dont know how much HP it will have when he is done but It should flow about 300-350 HP. any ideas thanks a lot
Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 AM
bigdan
Drifting

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (vettespd20)

not dumb at all. it's kind of an individual decision though. is it worth it to You? don't think about resale, most cars that bring high dollar are low mile, unmoleseted (bone stock) ones. if it's what you want, go for it!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:01 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.theres always the exception to any rule but IMO- and i just mean MY opinion- theres great body men and theres great engine builders but rarely will you find an individual that is a pro in both fields.
point 2 of "IMO", vettes look best a solid color,unless its a gs stripe.
blue flames on black would look cool,but int the end i think you would repaint it due to more "flames" on you than the car has.
maybe two tone red/white running at a 45 deg angle like starsky and hutch! :jester (now i jest)
direct answer to your question-yes.any vette is worth an engine and paint. :)
Old 10-02-2003, 02:18 AM
vettespd20
Racer

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (mitymek)

I see what both of you are saying, I do want this to be done. I done know if i plan to keep it forever. I would love to own a 1993 up vette so I may decide to sell it sometime soon but I am not sure yet. I was told that it will be in good enough shape (besides the ugly BROWN leather seats and interior) that it would be good enough to put in a small car show. But I am open to any other painting options, any one have any options on paint this guy can do it all. let me know thanks. I would consider it being black with a thick red stripe down it. but I dunno lol.
thanks
:steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy :steering: :chevy
Old 10-02-2003, 07:27 AM
jimmyd
Burning Brakes

To answer your question. Yes
To be able to sell it for a lot of money, probably not.
What looks good to one person my not look good to another. (Flames, ect.)
keeping labor cost down and swaping out work would would help. You have to figure what your time is worth. Most any Vette would make a very nice street rod/ project car. When you start putting lots of money in a car you are not going to get it back, make a plan for what you want to do with the car and try to stick with it best you can, The more you start modding any car, the more you will have to tinker with it to keep it running right.
good luck, ......Go for it....
Old 10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (jimmyd)

This question is easy, What do you want from a Vette, Something to resale, customize, Build the engine.....what????. I have an 84 and me myself I'm not looking to resale it or for that matter give it away to anyone (children). It's mine and I have dumped alot of money into it and still counting. Sure that was my decision, I'm not telling you to do the same thing but you have to be honest in what you want or trying to do with the car. JMHO :)
Old 10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
jefft84
Racer

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (Alcee1)

:iagree:
Its an personal thing, I overpaid for my 84 by most standards but it was EXACTLY what I wanted. I have since maintained, modified, and greatly enjoyed my car, if someone doesnt like my mods so what its my car. As far as resale thats subjective, to the one buyer it may not be worth crap but to another a great amount. Purchases are driven by emotion over value in 70% of all automotive cases. Do as you wish its your car, build to enjoy and if you sell hopefully you will find a buyer with similar taste.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:37 PM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (jefft84)

Ghost flames are COOL in my opinion. As other have said though...it's all a matter of personal opinion.

-Rick
Old 10-02-2003, 05:31 PM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE?

Look at the title of your post and take out the 84 and insert any year thjat a vette was made and you will get a yes. :thumbs:
Old 10-02-2003, 07:49 PM
Rich & Lisa_84
Melting Slicks

I just love my 84 and with the mods that have been done, I got it at a steal. Quite a few people want everything stock and perfect, but if you look around at the people here, you will see many mods have been done. That would say there must be a market for any vette ( stock or Modded ). You really need to know what would make you happy with your vette.....Saying that it is completely stock or discussing and showing off your mods. My vote is for happiness and my mods make me very happy.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Do what makes you feel good! We'll never get the money out these cars, so make them ours and keep 'em for ever!

Ghost flames are very :cool: !
Old 10-03-2003, 06:28 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (Beautiful Beast)

Yeah you should do it. You are saving a vette. Having fun and driving a unique fun attention getter. Dont think about the money. Its likely you will lose a bit on this but your pleasure is priceless. FWIW my ex-84 i bought for 5500 invested 7000 (not including maintnece or the wear items). Sold it for 7000.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE? (Rich & Lisa_84)

Rich & Lisa_84,

Your vette looks super. which intake manifold and carb. did you use.
Great!
tony

:flag

[Modified by oldace84, 4:51 PM 10/3/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE?

Quick Reply: IS A 84 VETTE WORTH A CUSTOM PAINT JOB AND ENGINE?