Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
C-4 Cross Fire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!!

I have ABSOLUTELY NO experience in judging/what they look for. NO idea at all! I've never even seen judging or trophies being handed out!

What should I do to my car to get it ready? This car has been a daily driver for me for the last 5 years but is now in the garage so I can tweek some stuff like getting the door panels to hang properly, flatten out the carpet installation in the back, and so on. I don't ever expect to drive this car on a daily basis again--just to shows. What should I do first besides clean everything?

Should I just start cleaning and not worry about the carpet and door panels (they're both new)?

Advice, please!!!

[Modified by C-4 Cross Fire, 1:28 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (C-4 Cross Fire)

Take a long drive somewhere and have lunch, and enjoy driving your car!
Skip the show....unless you like sitting around all day waiting for someone to tell you that you didn't wash your car enough. :cheers:
Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (Eric 96)

Skip the show....unless you like sitting around all day waiting for someone to tell you that you didn't wash your car enough. :cheers:
:cheers: :thumbs: :iagree:
Old 09-22-2003, 03:32 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a judge once for a wash and show class. We looked at the overall condition of the car - interior, weatherstrip, paint/body, engine compartment, and wheels. If something was "messed up", neglected, dirty, or sloppy looking, we would deduct the appropriate number of points. Custom stuff didn't net contestants any extra points in this class. It was the overall condition and cleanliness of the car. And yes, we took off points for wax that wasn't wiped off, dirt, etc. Good luck! :thumbs:
Old 09-22-2003, 06:50 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (Eric 96)

I suggest maybe just going to the first show and study the cars, then see who wins and maybe stop back by to look at those cars and compare to yours. Remember to never get upset if you don't win a show or trophy. Unlike racing, shows are entirely subjective. If you go to shows, enjoy the other cars, talking to their owners, and hopefully some good weather.

Then the following weekend, hit the drag strip or find an auto-x!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (LT-4 CE)

JMHO but shows suck. There are far better things to do on a beautiful day (going for a cruise is one of them) than sitting around a parking lot soaking in the pretentiousness. I have only been to two and got a trophy in both but still i found it so boring and more work than fun that i dont plan on going to more than one at most per year. There are some cool cars to see though. I like to drive to shows walk around and look at the cars (sometimes you see something rare or unique) then leave. Alot of times (here in the northeast at least) it is the same people week after week obsessing over the same things. More power to those that enjoy them but i'd much rather be :auto: and :seeya than seeing which car has the least amount of dust particualte on it :seeya
Old 09-22-2003, 07:37 PM
TD-Machines
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (96 Collector Edition)

:iagree: also. I did one show when I had my 1970 vert. That was my first and last show. IMO judging is by the buddy system, he who has the most buddy's judging wins.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:52 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (TD-Machines)

:iagree: also. I did one show when I had my 1970 vert. That was my first and last show. IMO judging is by the buddy system, he who has the most buddy's judging wins.
:iagree: I used to do a lot of shows and found that the rules change with every show. But the Buddy rule generally applies.

I go to a few shows now...pull the car up, leave the hood closed, get out my cooler and my chair and hang out with good friends :D

:seeya :steering:

[Modified by jackdaroofer, 7:53 PM 9/22/2003]
Old 09-22-2003, 09:00 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (jackdaroofer)

I want to put my Vette in ONE show, sometime in the future. Not because I think it will win, but so people can enjoy it & ask questions & I can meet other enthusiasts. Also, I want to clean it up, as best I know how, then have some professionals come point out what I have missed, so I can work on it. I think an objective view point from ppl who judge vettes all the time, will only help me make mine better. Of course, I may change my mind after that 1st show. Especially, if they really give my vette a low score. hehe

Old 09-22-2003, 11:10 PM
'94 torchred
Advanced

SHOW BIZ huh! Done many shows and still find them to be a LOT of fun and very rewarding, but they do take a lot of work. You get to meet a lot of Vette owners and realy learn about cleaning your car. Here on the east coast there are generally 2 types of shows. It's a little complicated but hear is a brief overview of what I am familar with: FUN SHOW-- (drivers in the show pick the cars they like. No real hard judging as drivers just pick what turns them on) JUDGED SHOW-- (teams of judges score each car based on a specific set of criteria. Supposed to be and objective system, but the buddy system may also play a part. Suggest you first go to a show and observe. See how the cars are prepared, what judges look for, and determine the class you want to be in, e.g., wash&show, street&show, modified, etc. Good luck!

Steve
Old 09-23-2003, 08:11 AM
C-4 Cross Fire
Pro

Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! ('94torchred)

Thanks, all! I don't really care about winning anything--I'd just like folks to see that '84's used to look good--they aren't all pieces of garbage--all used up like most of them on the road today (like mind used to be!)!! My '84 isn't pristine by a long shot, but it IS a Corvette and I'd like others to be able to enjoy it's beauty other than during those short drives away from it's home in the garage! I really like walking around and looking at other cleaned-up cars and talking to their owners too. A car show is a day of fun when I get to look at other cool cars. It's even better when I can drive to them in MY cool car. And if I've got it there at the show, I may as well enter it! :D :thumbs:
Old 09-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but there aren't "proffesional judges at shows unless you attend something like NCRS. In most cases, these are people who didn't want to be judges in the first place (but someone had to do it), and they are rushing through so that the awards aren't given out too late. Right now, our C4s don't generate too much interest at Corvette shows, unless you have a GS or maybe a ZR1. The spectators gravitate to the older cars or the newest cars. Even then, unless you have thousands of dollars in chrome invested in your car, it won't draw much attention.
If you can genuinely say you enoy sitting around all day long "looking" at your car (and the others parked in the parkinglot), go for it.
I used to do many car shows in my '70, and I have done a couple in my '96. With each show, I lose more and more interest in this type of event. After a couple hours, I am ready to move on...I have spoken to everyone I want to speak to, and have walked around and seen every car that is participating (usually the same cars at each show). :skep:
Old 09-23-2003, 09:45 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!! (dbwade36)

Enjoy just going , looking and talking to other vette owners... maybe a show one day...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:56 PM
BLACKFLY86
Instructor

Ive been to a couple of shows this past summer here in the Boston area., not as an entry, just to look. Last one I was watching one of the judges checking out a brand new (less than 500 miles) 2004 Le Mans Edition ZO6, He was all over the car, I mean the car was NEW! I can't figure out what the hell he was looking for. Just doing his job I guess. If you have any flaw, they will find it!

I always felt that my Black 86 convertible is one nof the cleanest, best looking, Ive seen (thats why I bought it!) BUT some of these show cars guys are absolutely ****. they dont drive them, they just detail and show, (even the engines are spotless) cant compete with that! DRIVE ON!!!

[Modified by BLACKFLY86, 9:08 PM 9/25/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!!

Quick Reply: Entering my first Car Show--need advice lease!!!