Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Decision to make. Need your input!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Mach85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision to make. Need your input!!

Ok I have made up my mind that the next Vette is going to be a 92 thru 96 my question is the pros and cons of each year. I would like a 95 or 96 but the price is still way up there compared to 92 thru 94 so I ask you to jump in here with the comments. I guess what I'm asking is what are the benefits of each year in your opinion. And why you would go with which year.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:59 PM
morphious
Race Director

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (Mach85)

I have a 94 and love it. I think main differences is the opti spark, and the side gills. I have about 93k on mine with no problems, so I am happy. :seeya
Old 08-13-2003, 03:01 PM
FX GS
Pro

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (morphious)

Since you are asking, go with the newest, a '96
Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Cal Vette
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm happy with my 92! :cool:
Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanatos69
Instructor

As FX GS stated, go with a '96 if you can afford it. I'd go with a '94 or up myself. In '94 they released the fully updated interior which included the newer style seats, door panels, passengerside airbag, and more. I looked at both a '92 and a '94 and for me the updates on the '94 made it more appealing. From '95 and up you get the vacuum vented optispark, but its possible to mod an earlier one to do the same, or even replace it.

[Modified by Thanatos69, 2:07 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 03:22 PM
PreferEuroRacing
Pro

I had it down to a couple of '92s and a '94 and went with the '94. The interior differences and newer parts made the decision. The mileage wasn't much different (the '94 had 41K and the two '92s had 53K) and, of course the '94 cost more than the other two.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Mach85
Instructor

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (PreferEuroRacing)

WOW so far the 94's sound pretty good. I can do the opti spark myself not a problem. I did not know they added the passenger side air bag in 94 I thought it was 95. I agree about the interior upgrade which I also thought was 95. Great stuff keep em comin. Was the horsepower the same 94 thru 96?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:55 PM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

I think you need a nice, babied '96 CE :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :seeya
Old 08-13-2003, 04:58 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

92: First year for the LT1 motor
93: A couple of refinements to the LT1, same optispark unit. Refinements yielded an extra 10 ft lbs of torque. Interior unchanged. Added 40th Anniversary logo on all leather seats. Cloth seats did not get the logo. (Yes, cloth was still available in 93.)
94: First refinement done to optispark unit. GM added a tube to help reduce moisture in the optispark. Computer is upgraded to the ODB-II. Automatic transmission goes electronic instead of cable. The 700R4/4L60 becomes the 4L60E. Exterior the same. Interior: dual airbags, door panels received map pockets since there was no glove box, the "wall" from the 90-93's is reduced opening up the radio controls to the passenger a little more. Amber printing for all the interior labels is replaced with white. Speedometer is still amber.
95: Second refinement to the optispark unit. Last year for the ZR1. Not much else changed as far as I know. Gills on exterior were changed in design.
96: LT4 motor is now available. It is only offered with the 6 speed transmission. LT1 is still available with the automatic only. Grand Sport and Collectors Edition models are available. These were created to keep the public interested in the C4 until the C5 was released. Of course, we all know that the sex appeal of the Corvette dropped some with the C5 (In my opinion). Interior is the same as 94-95. Exterior, around the frontturn signals is now painted the same color as the body, instead of black on previous years.

Those are some of the differences I know about. I have a 93 with 151,000 miles that I drive daily. They are reliable cars, as you can see by this mileage. As for what year you should buy, each one has certain things that I like. I like the gills on the 92-94 better than the 95-96, and I like the "wall" in the 92-93 better than the 94-96. I would like to have the optispark unit from the 95-96, the computer from the 94-96 and would rather have the 4L60E automatic from the 94-96. I miss driving a standard, so to get a 96 LT4 would be sweet. As you can see, it is hard to tell you one year is better than another. My tastes differ from other people's taste. Keep asking questions and learn all you can as you look for your Vette. Then the right one for you will show itself and you will be in heaven. Good Luck!!!

Neil
:seeya Save the Wave!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 PM
KY Vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We drove a 93 and my wife didn't like the seats. Found a 94 Admiral Blue and suddenly the seats were fine for her. I thought it was her imagination (or the car color) at first, but then found I out they changed the seats in 94 to accomodate a "wider" variety (shall we say) of people.
I don't know if seats are important to you, but they are to my wife! :D
Old 08-13-2003, 05:10 PM
glassvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (KY Vette)

We drove a 93 and my wife didn't like the seats. Found a 94 Admiral Blue and suddenly the seats were fine for her. I thought it was her imagination (or the car color) at first, but then found I out they changed the seats in 94 to accomodate a "wider" variety (shall we say) of people.
I don't know if seats are important to you, but they are to my wife! :D
hey i resemble that remark :crazy: good luck on your search :seeya
Old 08-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Mach85
Instructor

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (96 Collector Edition)

Thanks to all the replies so far. Bert you still have it huh that car is too nice to sell I would keep it. Whitevette BRAVO!! Good info I pretty much agree with all that you said. KY My wife likes the seats in my 85 I told her we could get the 94 and I could put my hands on her but while she drives. :jester
Old 08-13-2003, 06:36 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Decision to make. Need your input!!

Get the newest you can afford. :cheers:
Old 08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (Whitvette)

92: First year for the LT1 motor
93: A couple of refinements to the LT1, same optispark unit. Refinements yielded an extra 10 ft lbs of torque. Interior unchanged. Added 40th Anniversary logo on all leather seats. Cloth seats did not get the logo. (Yes, cloth was still available in 93.)
94: First refinement done to optispark unit. GM added a tube to help reduce moisture in the optispark. Computer is upgraded to the ODB-II. Automatic transmission goes electronic instead of cable. The 700R4/4L60 becomes the 4L60E. Exterior the same. Interior: dual airbags, door panels received map pockets since there was no glove box, the "wall" from the 90-93's is reduced opening up the radio controls to the passenger a little more. Amber printing for all the interior labels is replaced with white. Speedometer is still amber.
The ECM logic did not go OBDII until 1996. The 1995's had a 16 pin OBDII ALDL socket but the ECM logic remained OBDI through 1995.

I thought the opti spark venting occurred in 1995 not 1994, but you could be right.

95: Second refinement to the optispark unit. Last year for the ZR1. Not much else changed as far as I know. Gills on exterior were changed in design.
96: LT4 motor is now available. It is only offered with the 6 speed transmission. LT1 is still available with the automatic only. Grand Sport and Collectors Edition models are available. These were created to keep the public interested in the C4 until the C5 was released. Of course, we all know that the sex appeal of the Corvette dropped some with the C5 (In my opinion). Interior is the same as 94-95. Exterior, around the frontturn signals is now painted the same color as the body, instead of black on previous years.
upgraded ignition coil implemented for 1996, and change to the OEM spark plugs and wires for 1996 (part #'s are different). I've heard some slight changes to cam to improve idle quality were made to LT1's in 1996 but cannot confirm.

Those are some of the differences I know about. I have a 93 with 151,000 miles that I drive daily. They are reliable cars, as you can see by this mileage. As for what year you should buy, each one has certain things that I like. I like the gills on the 92-94 better than the 95-96, and I like the "wall" in the 92-93 better than the 94-96. I would like to have the optispark unit from the 95-96, the computer from the 94-96 and would rather have the 4L60E automatic from the 94-96. I miss driving a standard, so to get a 96 LT4 would be sweet. As you can see, it is hard to tell you one year is better than another. My tastes differ from other people's taste. Keep asking questions and learn all you can as you look for your Vette. Then the right one for you will show itself and you will be in heaven. Good Luck!!!

Neil
:seeya Save the Wave!

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 6:14 PM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 08:04 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

A different slant:
I owned a 86 great car sold it for than I paid for it after a year.
Next I bought a really nice 93 sold it after a year lost $4,000.00
I next bought a really nice 85 the reason I went back to an early car is the resale isn't a problem. I can this 85 for years and get all my money back.
LT-1 resale is like a rock in free fall. Dont ask me why they're really nice cars. The more you pay going in the more you'll lose on the way out. And if there are any repairs its even worse. If I would have kept my 93 it would have keep falling in price.
If the money doesn't matter buy a 96 there the best of the C-4's. For what I paid for my 85 its worth every penny just to keep the wants at bay.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Sun King
Pro

Default Re: Decision to make. Need your input!! (redwing76)

You're buying a C4 because you want a toy... not an investment. Follow your heart and buy whatever turns you on. You want a Vert? Buy it. Auto, 6-spd, whatever you want and screw the resale value. Just don't overpay.
I agree that you should go as new as possible, simply because the cars are refined through the years, but WTH? :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Decision to make. Need your input!!

Quick Reply: Decision to make. Need your input!!