Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Billy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be?

Vettsters,
I,ve only had this 1996 vett for 4 weeks and I,ve noticed the drivers side lumbar doesn't work. The seat works fine and the pass. seat works with the lumbar and the back and forth motion.
Could this be a fuse? loose switch? maybe a good kick in the lumbar area would work...Thanks for suggestions..Billy in hot Phx~~~~~~~
Old 06-30-2003, 03:06 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (Billy)

:lurk:
Old 06-30-2003, 04:01 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (Billy)

Bad pump. Go here, read, fix: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=56&TopicID=2

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=181&TopicID=2

:cheers:

[Modified by ShawnZR-1, 4:03 PM 6/30/2003]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:32 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (ShawnZR-1)

i had standard seats, but installed sport seats in my 95, but neither of the seat's lumbar works. does anyone think that both pumps could be out, or is the chance more likely that i simply did something wrong? are there additional fuses, etc. that i maybe have missed?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:43 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you can't hear the pump running (may need to pop the seat bottom) check the fuse & connections.

If the pump runs check to see if it's pumping air; if not rebuild it with rubber from an old bicycle inner tube.

If the pump is puttion out air check the switch and lumbar sacks for leaks.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Billy
Instructor

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (65Z01)

poping the seat button, Should I use a small screw driver and does the seat button pull off too? I also see there is a small panel does this whole area pop off? Thanks Again
Old 06-30-2003, 08:26 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm not sure about the seat button; my '88 has the lumbar controls in the bolsters and two screws hold in the controls.

Just behind the bottom of the front plastic pannel there is a spring clip that you need to release; I use a small screwdriver to pry it free.

Then the seat can be lifted enough to access the wires and air tubes.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:48 AM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (65Z01)

for the 96, the controls are in the center console, but all the guts are under the seat, so you can pop the seat bottom off by pulling th elittle metal bar in te front of the seat that releases the bottom and you should be able to access everything from there :D
Old 07-03-2003, 10:34 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (_freakmonkeydogboy_)

i had standard seats, but installed sport seats in my 95, but neither of the seat's lumbar works. does anyone think that both pumps could be out, or is the chance more likely that i simply did something wrong? are there additional fuses, etc. that i maybe have missed?
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: In my '92, I had the same problem! I went through all sorts of eletrical troubleshooting (I just couldn't believe both pumps would have failed!). I finally broke down and removed the driver's side pump and sure enough, the diaphram was completely torn. It's strange, but when that happened, the piston became wedged in the assembly so when I hit the switch, nothing happend! Well, turns out the exact same thing had happened to the passenger's pump. An hour's worth of work (and an old latex glove) later, all was good with the world! And, MAN, I didn't know what I was missing! Talk about making things comfortable!!! A little lower back support goes a long way! :cheers:
Old 07-03-2003, 10:44 AM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (ShawnZR-1)

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: In my '92, I had the same problem! I went through all sorts of eletrical troubleshooting (I just couldn't believe both pumps would have failed!). I finally broke down and removed the driver's side pump and sure enough, the diaphram was completely torn. It's strange, but when that happened, the piston became wedged in the assembly so when I hit the switch, nothing happend! Well, turns out the exact same thing had happened to the passenger's pump. An hour's worth of work (and an old latex glove) later, all was good with the world! And, MAN, I didn't know what I was missing! Talk about making things comfortable!!! A little lower back support goes a long way! :cheers:
awesome, that makes me feel that there's hope yet, now i just need to take everything apart and try that. thanks shawn :cheers:

[Modified by _freakmonkeydogboy_, 9:46 AM 7/3/2003]
Old 07-03-2003, 07:22 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (_freakmonkeydogboy_)

In my 92, both pumps were out. I have done the repair with both a latex glove and with a bicycle intertube, but the air still keeps deflating.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:46 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (DocToss)

IIRC, the later models just have one pump. I've forgotten what the break year is. Another thing that happens is that the distribution source sometimes has a air hose break off. The pump runs, but nothing happens. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:51 PM
OURRUBY
Spending his inheritance
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

On my 93 and my son's 93, we used the latex glove to fix the pumps and they are working well now. Good luck. :seeya
Old 07-03-2003, 08:48 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (OURRUBY)

My pumps work and the lumbar bladder fills up, but only holds air for 10 mins or so. Do I need to fix the diaphragm again or look at the air bladder, etc?
Old 07-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Mikesa
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 92 the lumbars on both seats didn't work. I thought I should hear the pumps if just the diaphragms were gone, but didn't. Took them apart and the plungers had jammed due to the diaphragms letting go, so the pump locked, thus no noise. Bought two new diaphragms from The Last Detail corvette supply, $39 each (I think), and they work perfect. The jamming didn't hurt anything and when everything was put back together they pump like they should. I read about making your own diaphragms from rubber gloves, but decided to purchase instead.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:44 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (Mikesa)

I didn't think the diaphragms were still available? Weren't they listed as for a 1991 also?
Old 07-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Mikesa
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (DocToss)

I got them some time last August/September, and without digging out the paperwork, my best recollection was, from TLD. Things could have changed since then, but although pricier than the "rubber glove" alternative, it was pretty quick and simple.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be?

Old 07-05-2003, 11:41 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be? (Mikesa)

anyone got pics of the seat removal?
Old 07-05-2003, 12:40 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

DocToss if the bladders are inflating the pump is ok.

A fast leakdown could be the bladders, split connective tubing or the controls leaking.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:46 PM
DocToss
Pro

Would a defective diaphragm cause leaking?

Quick Reply: Drivers lumbar doesn't work but seat works??What could it be?