C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 01:26 AM
kscorvettekid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Trouble

There's a strange clicking going on w/ my 1986 Vette. It sounds like a clock's tick, but it's a little faster than a clock. It's not my blinkers, it's not my CD player. I can put my hand on the console just above the CD player and on the CD player and feel the pressure of teh clicking. It sounds like a lighter trying to be lit every .5 seconds. It does it when the key is out. It's sitting in my driveway clicking right now... would could it be?
Also, i have a digital display, and my gas gauge reads full WELL INTO half the tank. Then only one or two bars are taken away when it's almost time to refill. When i refill, it always goes back to the top. Can u help either of these problems for me?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Cory00
Pro

Default Re: Car Trouble (kscorvettekid)

i get a clicking when i dont turn my headlights and fogs off check you lights

Cory
Old 06-17-2003, 03:06 AM
kscorvettekid
Intermediate

Default Re: Car Trouble (Cory00)

I guess i didn't mention that i checked my lights. That wasn't the problem either. Btw, it's been a little over an hour since my last post... the car is still in the driveway clicking away. I'm beginning to dislike my car...
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If you've isolated that it's in the dash, my guess is that it's electrical. What I would do is....a little detective work.

1. Pull & replace the fuses one at a time, and see if the noise goes away. When it does (I'm betting it will), look and see what is on that circuit. Now you have it isolated a little better.

2. Remove the plastic console components and, if necessary, the dash pad. If the noise is in there, you will definitely find it. The dash on these cars is fairly simple and straightforward to take apart. A mechanic's stethescope might be helpful.

3. Don't dislike the car. I'm 99.9999% sure this is a very MINOR problem. I'm taking a wild stab in the dark and guessing that you have a faulty relay somewhere that is causing the annoying noise, and when you finally track it down and fix it, you will be surprised at how simple a problem it was. Vettes are quirky. It's part of their appeal.

Have fun looking for the gremlin, let us know what you find. :cheers: :cheers:

OH....BTW,....your gas guage problem is most likely the sending unit in the tank. Not hard to replace, but pricey.

[Modified by Frizlefrak, 1:42 AM 6/17/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 03:49 AM
kscorvettekid
Intermediate

Default Re: Car Trouble (Frizlefrak)

Thank you so much for the help. I've never had someone help me with the problems i've had like you just did. I really appreciate it. I went out there to check after reading your post, and it's still clicking. I'm gonna drive my car to work tomorrow, clock in, and do exactly as you said. Thanx again.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

You're certainly welcome. That's what we're here for. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 06-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Mine was clicking like yours and ended up dying in the garage...finally had to disconnect the battery to stop the clicks...turned out to be a bad ECM...replaced it and no problems now... good luck
Old 06-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Car Trouble (Fuzzy Dice)

Don't mean to hijack your post, but this is sorta on topic...

My fuel gauge is doing the same thing. I figured it was the sending unti but didn't knwo where it was located. Frizlefrak said it's in the tank. Is it in the same location as the fuel pump? I was thinking of replacing my fuel pump anyway so I may as well do both at the same time.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:02 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Car Trouble (Saisling)

Don't mean to hijack your post, but this is sorta on topic...

My fuel gauge is doing the same thing. I figured it was the sending unti but didn't knwo where it was located. Frizlefrak said it's in the tank. Is it in the same location as the fuel pump? I was thinking of replacing my fuel pump anyway so I may as well do both at the same time.
Sending unit is in the tank with the pump. Remove the gas door, boot around filler, remove screws that hold the filler neck onto the tank. Pull the sending unit/pump assembly out and there you go. No need to drop the tank.

As for the clicking, does it sound like it's right behind the information panel in the center of the dash? There are 2 relays here, one for the horn, one for the security system. Does your security system work at the moment? When you lock the drivers door with the power lock button, does "security" light up in the information panel? There is also a turn signal flasher, and I believe the hazard flasher located in this area also. There is a fuse behind the information panel also, it is related to the security system. Not sure what we're hunting here, but these are just things to look at. I would start with pulling fuses as suggested earlier. Good luck :cheers:
Old 06-19-2003, 02:02 AM
kscorvettekid
Intermediate

Default Re: Car Trouble (JCAIRE2)

Wow guys, VERY VERY helpful information about the clicking. (Esp. from you JCAIRE2) A few days before i had the problem with the clicking, i had replaced the power lock switches. Replacing the switches didn't get the lock to work, But at least it had a button that would work if it could... Anywayz, the clicking problem was taken care of when i checked the fuses to see if any were blown. It turns out one was blown and when i put a new one in, the passenger side locks work on both power lock switches (wonder why the driver's side still doesn't lock/unlock :(). Also, the security light you were talking about in the console DOES blink when the car is unlocked, and holds steady when the doors are locked. I LOVE IT! (What's it do though? What's the point?)I've never seen a system like that. What else does my car do that i haven't got to see working?
Mack
p.s. my gas tank still reads full 90 miles into the tank :(
Old 06-19-2003, 02:28 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Did the clicking go away??

Anyhow, your security system works as follows; With the car off and the door open, the "security" light will flash. You activate the security system by locking the door with the power lock button (gotta get those working). When you do this, the "security" light will stay on. When you close the door, the alarm is activated, and the starter is disabled. If the door is opened without using the key, the horn will honk and the car won't start. To deactivate the alarm, just unlock the door with the key, and open the door. Security light will now flash again.

It sounds like your clicking is related either to the power locks or security system. If the driver's door power lock still isn't working even with a new switch, it's time to tear into that door and find out why. If it's getting power, the door lock motor is probably shot.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:01 AM
kscorvettekid
Intermediate

Default Re: Car Trouble (Frizlefrak)

WOW! I HAVE A BUILT-IN CAR ALARM!???! HAHAHAHA! my friends will be so jealous ;) My horn won't work, so i guess i can't test that car alarm theory yet... Oh man i can't wait. On second thought, if my power locks didn't work, and the motor on one side is shot, and the horn is disconnected; the car alarm probably won't work either.... Grrrrrrr!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:21 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

WOW! I HAVE A BUILT-IN CAR ALARM!???!
Yup....ain't GM generous? Just gotta get it all working.

BTW....if you didn't know all this, don't feel bad. Years back when I first bought my 84, I remember one night standing outside Baskin Robins with a car that wouldn't start, the horn blaring and attracting attention, and my dear wife desperately reading the owners manual trying to figure it all out. After explaining to the police that I really did own the car, we finally got it figured out.

[Modified by Frizlefrak, 2:26 AM 6/19/2003]
Old 06-22-2003, 01:01 AM
8LivesLeft
Intermediate

p.s. my gas tank still reads full 90 miles into the tank :(
That is about right, GM does that with all their vehicles. My Vette & 2002 Silverado do the same thing, stay on full forever, after that the gauges drop like a rock. Keep in mind that the vette has a 20 gal. tank. So I'm guessing that you are probably only putting in about 10 gal when you fill it up??
Old 06-28-2003, 02:50 PM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's a bomb. LoL you just better hope it isn't the cig lighter. I don't think they make a clicking noise like you described, but sometimes when they're used alot, there's a mechanism on them that keeps them connected even when the car is off and then it starts to drain the battery like crazy.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 AM
C4.5
Heel & Toe

Not sure if you are still having problems but it sounds very similiar to the one I have.... If you have resolved this please let me know how. Here is what I have found with my problem... The clicking is exactly as you describe. I have found the if I arm the security system the clicking stops (thus why I think it is the security system). If I unlock the drivers side door with the key and open it the clicking starts. If however, I open the passenger side door with the key and open it the clicking is not present. This leads me to believe the problem is in the driver side door lock... but I am not sure if it is the lock, something attached, etc. Try both door locks to see if either will stop the clicking.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Trouble

Quick Reply: Car Trouble