Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:14 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same?

I just found out I need a new column......when I removed my steering wheel there was ball bearings everywhere. Are all columns the same(84-96) ? Anyone who has a column for sale please let me know ....I need it ASAP! :smash:
Old 05-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33704

[Modified by Caboboy, 4:10 PM 5/27/2003]
Old 05-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (Caboboy)

Yoslambo - I have a detailed Tech Tip in the C4 section about 1992-1996 steering columns.

Upshot is - no, they're not all the same. If you have a manual 'Vette, you want one out of a manual car, and if an auto, you want one out of an auto car.

You want one with the same airbag coil p/n as the one in your column, or you will have to re-use your old coil.

You have to re-use your lock cylinder so you can use your old keys. If you don't use your cylinder, you'll have to get the ECM/PCM reprogrammed before you can start the car.

'92-93 columns are shorter than '94-'96 columns. The '92/'93 cars have a deep-dish airbag cavity. If you put a wheel and bag from a '92/'93 car on a column from a '94/'96 car, the wheel will be about 2" closer to your chest, but it works.

I don't know if you can put a wheel from a '94/'96 car onto a column from a '92/'93 car. The shaft may be too long.

You'll need a brand-new column jam nut for the wheel. You'll need a wheel puller, a lock-plate compressor, and a photographic memory.

You don't want a column out of a front-wrecked car. There are plastic injection moldings in the column that shear away in a wreck allowing the column to collapse. A collapsed column is scrap.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:29 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (Matt Black)

Yoslambo - I have a detailed Tech Tip in the C4 section about 1992-1996 steering columns.

Upshot is - no, they're not all the same. If you have a manual 'Vette, you want one out of a manual car, and if an auto, you want one out of an auto car.

You want one with the same airbag coil p/n as the one in your column, or you will have to re-use your old coil.

You have to re-use your lock cylinder so you can use your old keys. If you don't use your cylinder, you'll have to get the ECM/PCM reprogrammed before you can start the car.

'92-93 columns are shorter than '94-'96 columns. The '92/'93 cars have a deep-dish airbag cavity. If you put a wheel and bag from a '92/'93 car on a column from a '94/'96 car, the wheel will be about 2" closer to your chest, but it works.

I don't know if you can put a wheel from a '94/'96 car onto a column from a '92/'93 car. The shaft may be too long.

You'll need a brand-new column jam nut for the wheel. You'll need a wheel puller, a lock-plate compressor, and a photographic memory.

You don't want a column out of a front-wrecked car. There are plastic injection moldings in the column that shear away in a wreck allowing the column to collapse. A collapsed column is scrap.
Thankyou for the reply....My car is a 1984 though. :D
Old 05-27-2003, 09:33 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (Caboboy)

:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33704

[Modified by Caboboy, 4:10 PM 5/27/2003]
Thanks again for the tip....I made him a offer & he didnt accept. :cry Im gonna buy one somewhere.....I still want the new one but I dont want to wait 2 days for the auction to end. I nee this thing yesterday! :banghead: :(
Old 05-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Okay. 1984 columns are different from all the rest of the C4 columns. I think. The eBay seller thinks his will work. I thought that the turn/cancel/dimmer switch assembly was different. And you'll still have to go manual-to-manual or auto-to-auto.

Autos have a cable backdrive feature to keep you from pulling the key while the car is in gear. Manual columns don't have the CB.

[Modified by Matt Black, 8:46 PM 5/27/2003]
Old 05-27-2003, 10:23 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (Matt Black)

Call Taber's corvette parts. They have them in stock. I believe they are used for $350. A new one is much more i believe.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:27 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (DocToss)

By the way, where did the bearings come from? I have had my wheel off the vette and my avalanche, and have never seen any place for bearings where the steering wheel comes off.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:31 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same? (DocToss)

By the way, where did the bearings come from? I have had my wheel off the vette and my avalanche, and have never seen any place for bearings where the steering wheel comes off.
The top bearing was shot...inside it there are ball bearings. plus even after tightining torq bolts the tilt still isnt right! :(
Old 05-28-2003, 07:55 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I am not happy.....I offered Chuck Pelton $500.00 & my wheel for his column & wheel.....He said no....I then emailed him this: I was offering $500.00 with my old wheel....the way the auction is worded with a $600.00 bid & my wheel I would pay $525.00 plus my wheel for the column/wheel if I was the only bidder right? Thats why I made the offer....I only was chopping $25.00 I thought it was a fair offer? how much is a used column? how nice is the used(play in the tilt/paint condition?) I really would rather buy your new column/wheel but dont want to wait for auction to end....please let me know as tomorrow Im buying one somewhere ......I went this past weekend vetless (rained nonstop...wtf) & I dont want to this weekend if I can help it. I have a tax id if it helps?I would want it delivered to a business so shipping would be less for you. Let me know....Eric/ yoslambo1@cs.com He didnt bother to reply & when I checked the auction today he raised the price to $700.00 & removed the $100.00 core for old steering wheel! WTF!!! :mad :cuss :banghead: Now I dont want anything from this guy.... I am soo pissed....why do people have to be like this! :rant: Looks like Im ordering a carbon fiber steering wheel & a used column....I hope he never sells it! :smash: What a jerk! :cuss

[Modified by yoslambo1@cs.com, 9:32 PM 5/28/2003]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:02 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

He just emailed me this: I have had numerous inquiries on the wheel and column and have an offer
above the new price if I want to wait and deliver to one of the upcoming
shows. The cost of the wheel and horn cap alone is almost $700. I really
think that if it does not sell I will either deliver to the person that is
interested or just keep it. If anything changes I will contact and perhaps
we can work out an agreement. What State do you live in?

Chuck :rolleyes: I guess $ is more important than integrity!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same?

Quick Reply: HELP! are all c-4 steering columns the same?