Fuel Pump Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 PM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Fuel Pump Replacement?

Okay, I need to hear the bad news and the estimated cost of the repairs. I think the fuel pump went south on my '90 C4 Convertible. I was driving down the street yesterday when the engine went dead. Never could get the car started again, although it began to catch/fire a couple times. I had it towed the one block distance to my apartment where it will sit until I decide what to do and I have some extra money. In the meantime, I am sentenced to using the Camaro in my signature below as my daily driver.
:eek::eek::eek:

[Modified by NBM LS1 M6, 7:46 PM 5/20/2003]
Old 05-20-2003, 11:18 PM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (NBM LS1 M6)

Is or is not the fuel pump on a '90 C4 located inside the gas tank?
:eek::confused::(:confused::(:eek:
Old 05-21-2003, 12:11 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Inside it to my knowledge, its not that expensive as i recall.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The fuel pump is indeed located inside the fuel tank and cost of an AC Delco & pickup screen is under $100, parts only. It should take a mechanic less than 1hr to install it, piece of cake. In fact with some simple tools you could do it in the parking lot (I did just that shortly after getting my Vette).

First get a fuel pressure gauge onto the Schraeder valve on the fuel rail to assure you indeed have no fuel pressure.

BTW, that Camaro looks like a beast. :yesnod:
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check to make sure you're getting voltage to the pump. :steering:
Old 05-21-2003, 04:22 AM
Vette Head
Instructor

NBM -

Funny you should ask! I just got done replacing my pump/strainer and fuel filter in my '85. If I'm correct, removal and installation are the same on yours.

Mine was located in the gas tank, and was accessed by first removing the 4 torx screws at the fuel door, allowing removal of the door and panle. I then had to remove the rubber gasket around the filler (vacuum out all the debris from this area so it doesn't fall into the tank). After that, disconnect the relay and all the hoses (I had 3 hoses). Then there are 8 (?) 1/4" bolts that get removed. Once those are out, lift on the filler, and wiggle the assembly out. Remove strainer, remove pump, install new pump, then new strainer (a real pain in the u-no-what to get on), be careful not to rip the strainer, and then reverse the above directions to re-install.

Took me less then 1 hour to do it myself, and until then, had never done more than change oil and plugs in a Blazer.

I bought a Carter pump for $89, + $5 for strainer, and you have to replace the filter (WIX $13.99) as well (hope you have a l-o-w floor jack), or the warranty is voided. All said and done, was less than $110, tow bill not included (argh).

FYI - AC/Delco FP was anywhere from $70 - $90 at my local parts stores.

If you go with Carter, you may need to splice the wiring, but easily done with a crimp.

Before doing all of the above, remember to release the gas line pressure at the Schrader valve, or else you'll smell like gas for a week.

Good Luck, and DON'T pay a mechanic for this if your setup is the same as mine.

By the way, first thing I bought when I got my C4 (Saturday), was a Haynes/Chilton manual for the car. Well worth the $$$ at twice the price.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:16 AM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

If you're smart enough to own a vette, AND post your problem here, you're smart enough to do it your self. If you're not comfortable with it, please be sure to take it to someone who knows what the @#%& they're doing. I had to redo mine, after taking it to a corvette only shop. The guy pried the filler neck out of the gas tank with a crowbar. He bent the plate all to %^*+, and didn't even put in the new $3 gasket. Needless to say, I smelled gas all the time. I fixed it myself. As a matter of fact, I went to Gordon Killebrew's school so I can fix it from now on! :banghead: :banghead:
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 AM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (ductape)

If you're smart enough to own a vette, AND post your problem here, you're smart enough to do it your self. If you're not comfortable with it, please be sure to take it to someone who knows what the @#%& they're doing. I had to redo mine, after taking it to a corvette only shop. The guy pried the filler neck out of the gas tank with a crowbar. He bent the plate all to %^*+, and didn't even put in the new $3 gasket. Needless to say, I smelled gas all the time. I fixed it myself. As a matter of fact, I went to Gordon Killebrew's school so I can fix it from now on! :banghead: :banghead:
Thanks for the heads up. :eek::eek:
Old 05-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Blue88
Instructor

I know on my other cars when the internal pump began to fail it would die but could be restarted after the pump cooled down just long enough to get me home. Did you guys get any warning that the pump was going out or did the car just die on the road?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Vette Head
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (Blue88)

Did you guys get any warning that the pump was going out or did the car just die on the road?
No warning at all for me. Ran fine all day, then when I went to take off from a light, it just decided to quit. Nerve-wracking :mad
Old 05-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Blue88
Instructor

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (kirks518)

Geez....I have 70K on mine right now. Guess I will go ahead and replace it soon cause I know mine will give out when I am a million miles from home in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:13 AM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (Blue88)

Update

I know on my other cars when the internal pump began to fail it would die but could be restarted after the pump cooled down just long enough to get me home. Did you guys get any warning that the pump was going out or did the car just die on the road?
It's either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. The car sat in my carport four days. On a lark, I just got done going downstairs to try to start the car albeit the fact that I was worried about the battery being almost dead from all the cranking Monday night after the car died.

The engine started on the first crank without ever touching the gas pedal. It idled for about three to five minutes, and then killed. I started it again just enough to move the car forward five feet back to its parking spot. Does that sound like the regulator or the pump itself?
:confused::confused::confused:
Old 05-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Vette Head
Instructor

Update

The engine started on the first crank without ever touching the gas pedal. It idled for about three to five minutes, and then killed. I started it again just enough to move the car forward five feet back to its parking spot. Does that sound like the regulator or the pump itself?
During the 2 hours I was waiting for the engine to cool down, it would start for a second or so, and at one point it stayed running long enough to move it about 8 feet. I would say based on my experience on Monday, that its your fuel pump.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:51 AM
NBM LS1 M6
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel Pump Replacement? (kirks518)

During the 2 hours I was waiting for the engine to cool down, it would start for a second or so, and at one point it stayed running long enough to move it about 8 feet. I would say based on my experience on Monday, that its your fuel pump.
:cool::cool::cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Replacement?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement?