Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:06 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio?

Is this an inside joke or something telling me to stop wasting his time or something? I brought my car in to the mechanic that put in my new engine about 7 months ago to take a look at some oil on the manifold that concerned me. I also told him I thought I had a cracked U-joint and had him check that out too. Turned out that the oil was coming up through the bolt, not the gasket...no big deal...and the U-joint was fine. This was the second time that I brought it in when I thought something was wrong but turned out to be nothing. When I left the shop all six FM presets were changed to easy listening and one Chrisitan music station. I would think that if he were test driving to check out the U-joint, he would have the radio off and be listening for the problem. The guy is a really nice guy and has never charged me for the follow up inspections. Very, very odd. Is this a message to me? :confused:
Old 05-14-2003, 01:16 PM
JSA 007
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (gpagaduan)

Perhaps he disconnect the power or the fuse to the radio somehow and it reset the station memory. Was the clock still correct??

The only time I've seen radio stations changed was valet parking in Miami :lolg:
Old 05-14-2003, 01:18 PM
C4SMAJ
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (gpagaduan)

quite likely he is unhooking the battery while he works on the car...and the presets are lost....the stations that you are finding are just default settings..
dont know for sure but that would be my guess :seeya
Old 05-14-2003, 01:20 PM
96 CE LT-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think its possibile that he disconnected the battery both times and that reset your radio. Just a thought!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:24 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (96 CE LT-4)

I thought about that, but we looked at the oil on the manifold together and agreed that nothing further needed to be done. Why would you need to disconnect the battery to check a U-joint. Didn't check the clock, but you would think if he did take the time pre-set the radio, then he would have adjusted the clock.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:28 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (larryf)

quite likely he is unhooking the battery while he works on the car...and the presets are lost....the stations that you are finding are just default settings..
Or maybe they were reset by a higher power..... think about it :blueangel:
Old 05-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Didn't check the clock, but you would think if he did take the time pre-set the radio, then he would have adjusted the clock.
When I do stuff that results in a disconnected battery, I'll usually reset the clock and set a few generic radio stations for them. I have no idea what they listen to, but rather than just blow static at them, I'll throw the country station on all 6 presets. :D
Old 05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (Jim85IROC)

I have no idea what they listen to, but rather than just blow static at them, I'll throw the country station on all 6 presets. :D
:D I'm starting to think that maybe while I was gone for an 30 minutes while he checked out the U-joint, that he did in fact disconnect the battery and checked out a few other things under the hood while I had it there. But, just to satisfy my curiosity, do you normally disconnect the battery to inspect a U-joint?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:48 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask him about it. Most likely he just took it for a test-drive. Did you note the mileage when you dropped it off?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:59 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If the radio presets & clock were off normal settings for sure the battery had been disconnected.

He could have found some trouble codes and cleared them or perhaps checked base timing and cleared the often resultant code 42.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Usually it is standard practice for a good mechanic to disconnect the battery before he works on your car...to sense in shorting anything out with a tool while he is working... :auto:
Old 05-14-2003, 02:39 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (Eric 96)

Usually it is standard practice for a good mechanic to disconnect the battery before he works on your car...to sense in shorting anything out with a tool while he is working... :auto:
hopefully thats it. i am offended by someone changing anything on my car like that. my avalanche and the cadillac have seat memorys so its not an issue. my tahoe did not have this so since i was the only one that drove it i set the seat how i liked it and unplugged the wires to the seat. the mechanics and the valet dude can deal with it for the short time they are in there. i turn the radio off and expect it to be turned off when i get the car back.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:56 PM
OleDog
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (stillthere)

I really think he's bustin your chops
Old 05-14-2003, 03:00 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (OleDog)

I find it a little hard to believe that every default frequency happens to be a station in your area. Not one default of mine is, or ever has been, on any car I've had.

It's likely somebody's messing with you.

[Modified by rwd, 2:00 PM 5/14/2003]
Old 05-14-2003, 03:20 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (rwd)

its not a default he is just setting them back to something.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:46 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (stillthere)

Thanks for all the responses. Really, it's not a big deal. I thought maybe there was significance to changing all the presets that had some meaning. Kinda like when you get lousy table service at a restaurant and you leave a penny tip on the table (tails side up) to let the server know they were lame and they can kiss my tail. Something like that. I thought maybe the mechanic was annoyed that I brought it in "again" and again nothing significant was wrong and changing the stations was some sort of mechanic's message. Ya know what...I think too much. :lol:
Old 05-14-2003, 04:01 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Sounds like he used your car! :eek: :rant:

Get notified of new replies

To Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio?

Old 05-14-2003, 04:36 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

If you're friendly with the guy I suspect he's just messing with you :yesnod:
Old 05-14-2003, 04:57 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Default Re: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio? (TA)

If you're friendly with the guy I suspect he's just messing with you :yesnod:
You may be right. I have a Judas Priest CD case in the pocket (I have a single din Alpine with a pocket) and he left the radio on a Christian music station. :lol:
Old 05-14-2003, 06:04 PM
KY Vette
Drifting

My daughter always changes the presets when I let her borrow the car. It kinda bothers me, but, well, she IS my daughter and it's not worth making a big deal out of it. I'm pretty sure she doesn't know how to disconnect the battery. :lol:

But, if my mechanic changed the presets, I'd have to wonder what the heck he was thinking???

Try disconnecting your battery and see what presets it changes to! Or, as someone else suggested, ask him about it.

Quick Reply: Why would the mechanic change all the presets on my radio?