C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

4+3 Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 10:35 AM
C5Luv'R
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 4+3 Shifting Problems

My cousin owns a 1985 Corvette with the 4+3 Manual, and he's having shifting problems with the car. I've felt it myself, and 2nd gear will not engage, and reverse is very hard as well. 1st, 3rd, and 4th go into gear just fine. I'm thinking he has a linkage problem, but I have not experience with the 4+3 manual. Anyone else run into this? Common problem? Easy fix?

[Modified by C5Luv'R, 10:39 AM 4/21/2003]
Old 04-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Ray383
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 4+3 Shifting Problems (C5Luv'R)

I'm having the exact same problem. My motor is out right now, but when I put the new one in I'm going to try to bleed the clutch and see if that helps any.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
C5Luv'R
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: 4+3 Shifting Problems (Ray383)

Ray:

what is weird with my cousin's car is that you can feel it even when the car is not running. Just sitting the the driveway, with the engine off, rowing thru the gears, you can feel that 2nd is not going in. Try that with yours and see if it does the same.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:28 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey! Was everything fine, and then one day no shift? I have a 4+3 too. It kinda sounds like the linkage, but that stuff just doesn't change by itself. Any problems before this? :skep:
Old 04-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Ray383
Racer

Ray:

what is weird with my cousin's car is that you can feel it even when the car is not running. Just sitting the the driveway, with the engine off, rowing thru the gears, you can feel that 2nd is not going in. Try that with yours and see if it does the same.
Tranny isn't in the car, but if I remember right, it was fine with the motor off. Does it grind reverse. Mine does some times. I can pump the clutch and it still grinds.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:21 AM
grsteve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with mine (85 z-51) and was able to solve it (best $60 I've spent yet on this car).

There is a reverse lock out rod in the shifter that wears out. It is about 8 inches long and has the plastic **** that we use when we go into reverse. The end of it just kind of disintegrates. You can purchase this from Corvette Clinic (Chris Petris) in Florida, or if you are so inclined, manufacture your own for about $5. I'm sorry I don't have his #, but if you get Corvette Fever, he is often listed on 'how to' articles, or you can do an internet search for his website.

Doing this and adjusting the linkage per the manual changed my car back into a sportscar. Before it was miserable to shift, now it is nice and tight and I never miss 2nd gear, whereas before it was hunt and search for it.

Having the manual AND a blow-up schematic of the shifter assembly will help considerably. I was able to have Jeff Koop email me the schematic. Thanks again, Jeff.

This job took my brother and I about 3-4 hours and a few beers to accomplish. If you're motivated, it could be done in about 1.5-2. The driver's seat needs to be removed and the carpet pulled away from the tunnel to get at some of the areas that need work (adjusting the linkage, for example). Don't forget to add some lubrication to the linkage while you're in there.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Storz
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 4+3 Shifting Problems (grsteve)

The 4+3 in my 87 wasnt shifting so hot for a while, as simple as it seems I changed the clutch fluid and it feels much better now :cheers:
Old 04-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Ray383
Racer

Default Re: 4+3 Shifting Problems (grsteve)

I had the same problem with mine (85 z-51) and was able to solve it (best $60 I've spent yet on this car).

There is a reverse lock out rod in the shifter that wears out. It is about 8 inches long and has the plastic **** that we use when we go into reverse. The end of it just kind of disintegrates. You can purchase this from Corvette Clinic (Chris Petris) in Florida, or if you are so inclined, manufacture your own for about $5. I'm sorry I don't have his #, but if you get Corvette Fever, he is often listed on 'how to' articles, or you can do an internet search for his website.

Doing this and adjusting the linkage per the manual changed my car back into a sportscar. Before it was miserable to shift, now it is nice and tight and I never miss 2nd gear, whereas before it was hunt and search for it.

Having the manual AND a blow-up schematic of the shifter assembly will help considerably. I was able to have Jeff Koop email me the schematic. Thanks again, Jeff.

This job took my brother and I about 3-4 hours and a few beers to accomplish. If you're motivated, it could be done in about 1.5-2. The driver's seat needs to be removed and the carpet pulled away from the tunnel to get at some of the areas that need work (adjusting the linkage, for example). Don't forget to add some lubrication to the linkage while you're in there.

Good luck!
Never heard about this. If the clutch bleed doesn't work, I'll have to give it a try.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:39 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 4+3 Shifting Problems (Storz)

Sounds like it could definitely be linkage. The linkage can work loose over time, and the shift rod bushings/spring clips wear out and put slop in the system.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 Shifting Problems

Quick Reply: 4+3 Shifting Problems