C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Custom paint question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 12:12 AM
DelcoVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom paint question.

My 17 year old factory finish is fading quick and it's time to repaint the car. I was wondering what the school of thought was when it comes to re-painting. I was planning on going with a Candy Apple Red finish with House of Kolor product, but thought I best check in here. Any one have any experience with their product?

I was also wondering if anyone has done a Candy Apple finish? How many coats, clear coats etc. to get it looking right?

Anyone think I'm crazy for spending the $$$ on the Candy Apple and think I should repaint the factory color? This car turns into a daily driver May - Mid August each year. I've hear horror stories about keeping up this finish.

I would appreciate any input you might have. :chevy
Old 04-19-2003, 12:31 AM
vette_dreamer
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Custom paint question. (DelcoVette)

torch red :thumbs:

[Modified by vette_dreamer, 11:31 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 12:35 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I had my vette repainted the original black color......but if you are going to repaint maybe you can change the color....I kind of wished that I had....but probabaly would hyave cost more than the $3500.00 I paid for the original color...
Change is good.....
Good Luck...
tony
:thumbs: :thumbs: :flag :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 04-19-2003, 01:17 AM
Netnarc2
Racer

Default Re: Custom paint question. (oldace84)

Go with what you can afford. The only drawback that I can see with candies or metal flakes is if you ever need to do any body repairs, it's almost impossible to match the colors. Personally, I like black rose. it's a deep deep deep purple.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:43 PM
GDP
Team Owner

I probably sound like a :troll, but I say paint it orange. :yesnod:

IMO, little upkeep, hot looks, and very custom (You'll have one of less than ten). :cheers:
Old 04-19-2003, 07:32 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Custom paint question. (GDP)

I miss looking at orangec4's car, lol. I'd have to agree with GDP. If you like the color orange, try to find a deep dark orange metal flake, top it with some pearl and viola! instant custom c4 with a unique color. Orange isn't for everyone though. Stay away from darker colors if you are worried about upkeep. My Black sapphire metallic is PITA to keep up with. Needs attention every day. Then again, my car is a daily driver all year long. :cheers:
Old 04-20-2003, 01:41 AM
DelcoVette
Instructor

Have to make up my mind soon, it goes to the body shop end of the week. Once I make up my mind and it''s painted, I'll post.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:26 AM
blonde gurl fl
Cruising

Default Re: Custom paint question. (vette_dreamer)

:iagree: with the torch red color, and honestly if you go to a good body shop they'll make sure the car looks great! :thumbs:

[Modified by blonde gurl fl, 8:28 AM 4/21/2003]
Old 04-21-2003, 04:23 AM
beachcat
Safety Car

It's your money, do with it what you want. Your gf/wife might think you are crazy, but we won't. :lol:
Old 04-21-2003, 04:24 AM
beachcat
Safety Car

OH, but you have to post pics when you get it done.
:cheers:
Old 04-22-2003, 12:22 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:seeya How many coats? Just depends how dark you want the candy apple red paint to be. For best results "Candy Apple" is usually shot over a metallic or metalflake silver or gold base coat. :yesnod: It's something like window tint the more layers you put on the darker it gets. The layers or coats of candy over the base coat is what gives it the rich and deep looking color. Candy paint is very transparent you can see down to the base coat. Than seal it with plenty of clear. :cool:
Old 04-22-2003, 01:39 AM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

My 17 year old factory finish is fading quick and it's time to repaint the car. I was wondering what the school of thought was when it comes to re-painting. I was planning on going with a Candy Apple Red finish with House of Kolor product, but thought I best check in here. Any one have any experience with their product?

I was also wondering if anyone has done a Candy Apple finish? How many coats, clear coats etc. to get it looking right?

Anyone think I'm crazy for spending the $$$ on the Candy Apple and think I should repaint the factory color? This car turns into a daily driver May - Mid August each year. I've hear horror stories about keeping up this finish.

I would appreciate any input you might have. :chevy
It's completely up to you, but I do know this. The more custom the color, the more likely you'll have to completely repaint the car for "ANY" damage you might have. I have a friend that's going through this now. He had a nitrous problem that burned his hood. Now he's looking at a complete repaint as the hood can't be properly matched. (17 coats)
Old 04-22-2003, 05:43 PM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

Default Re: Custom paint question. (R94 LT 1)

Now he's looking at a complete repaint as the hood can't be properly matched. (17 coats)
This is not necessarily true. If you find an excellent paint shop, they can match the color very well as long as they can remember or at least have it written down somewhere how they did the original job and what materials they used.

I had scratched up the right lower edge of my Greenwood Ground effects kit in the front while trying to park in a spot. It happened 4 days after I had the car back from the shop and did not take into account that the ground effects were that much closer to the curb and SSSCCCCCRRRAPED it against the curb. The body shop I had the paint job done at was able to sand down the area where the ground effects were scraped and repainted that lower area PERFECTLY. You would have never guessed that it ever got scraped up.

It all boils down to how good the painter is. Another factor I never considered though was whether I was going to be living near the body shop forever. Right now I have the dilemma of getting my car repainted again (long story) and I need to find a reputable body shop to do it since I no longer live in NJ, thank God!

Whatever you do, make sure it's because you wanted to and not because the majority of the members of the forum told you to! :thumbs:
Old 04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Custom paint question. (383 Stroker)

Now he's looking at a complete repaint as the hood can't be properly matched. (17 coats)

This is not necessarily true. If you find an excellent paint shop, they can match the color very well as long as they can remember or at least have it written down somewhere how they did the original job and what materials they used.

I had scratched up the right lower edge of my Greenwood Ground effects kit in the front while trying to park in a spot. It happened 4 days after I had the car back from the shop and did not take into account that the ground effects were that much closer to the curb and SSSCCCCCRRRAPED it against the curb. The body shop I had the paint job done at was able to sand down the area where the ground effects were scraped and repainted that lower area PERFECTLY. You would have never guessed that it ever got scraped up.

It all boils down to how good the painter is. Another factor I never considered though was whether I was going to be living near the body shop forever. Right now I have the dilemma of getting my car repainted again (long story) and I need to find a reputable body shop to do it since I no longer live in NJ, thank God!

Whatever you do, make sure it's because you wanted to and not because the majority of the members of the forum told you to! :thumbs:
Well if the person wants to post all the details he may as he's a forum member, but he posts rarely. I do know the car was originally painted at House of Kolor though and it has been recommend the whole thing be redone so it matches.

Here's pic:

Paint scanner says the car is silver. :rolleyes:
Old 04-22-2003, 07:30 PM
93BlkRose
Advanced

Default Re: Custom paint question. (Netnarc2)

Personally, I like black rose. it's a deep deep deep purple.
I couldn't agree anymore, a factory color that everyone thinks its custom!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: Custom paint question. (93BlkRose)

When I got the 95 as a theft recovery it was red. As I had to replace the hood and bumper I went with millennium yellow than a pearl and clear, 2 coats of each, it looks Yellow unless the sun light hits it just right than you see the pearl. There are some pics on my homepage as you can see the yellow changes with the light.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:41 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Custom paint question. (vette_dreamer)

torch red :thumbs:
:withstupid: or black....

Get notified of new replies

To Custom paint question.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:52 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Custom paint question.

I just about checked myself in to a loonie bin when I was having my car painted. First choice was pearlescent white. BUT I'd seen more than my share of cars in that color that either 1. yellowed or 2. eggshelled(notorious with pearl I think) So that left me to red or blue. I didn't consider Ferrari Red(which I wish my car we're right now). I strongly suggest looking in to those shades. They're deeper and bloodier. More of a true red, than say a torch red which appears quite orangey(jmho).

If I won a small lottery(or sooner or later) I'd have mine done in F-40 Red in the snap of a finger.

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted with progress pics.

:cheers:

[Almost forgot, my color is admiral blue metallic. It was DA'd down to the stock primer, then primed/sealed. Two coats of base, two blue, two clear. It has a pretty nice gloss]

[Modified by Jay D 90 383, 8:54 PM 4/22/2003]
Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM
DelcoVette
Instructor

I saw a gorgeous 57 BelAir done in candy apple many years back and I fell in love with it. I always wanted to do one of my cars in it, but didn’t have much knowledge (still don't) on auto paints. When my red turned pink, it was time to take action (no offense to those pink Cadillac's). Intimidator454 kind of has me nervous, because I don't want it to come out too dark. Perhaps I'll make arrangements to be there as they apply the coats of candy so I can yell STOP when I see what I like.

Everyone with any candy apple experience (including my paint shop) has made sure I was aware of the problem matching this color in the future. I really appreciate those that were looking out for me there. Thanks ! :)

It's down to the wire now, I'll have to make up my mind tomorrow afternoon :crazy: when I pick the vette up from the repair shop (haunted wiper motor circuit :reddevil finally repaired) and drive it to the paint shop.

I'll let you know how things turn out and be sure to post the before & after shots. :yesnod:
Old 04-23-2003, 12:17 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with a really nice paint job, is you can't leave the car anywhere.
Some idiot will run a key down the side of it.
If its a daily driver go with the original color.
A good custom paint job can set you back $5-10k.

Quick Reply: Custom paint question.