Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 08:51 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than...

....getting tendonitis in the shoulder and elbow?

I've got the calipers/rotors/shocks removed and I figure this is a good time to pretty up the aluminum bits and pieces. I've tried Simple Green, Comet, and a couple other degreasers, but none of them work without heavy doses of elbow grease. Has anyone found a combination of cleaner & brushes (steel, brass, nylon) that they can recommend?

Steve
Old 04-13-2003, 09:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (sraft)

Simple Green in a 50-50 mix and a Scotch-Brite pad works pretty good for me. Just remember to rinse the Simple Green off completely. If you want a nicel satin finish right off, try Brillo pads. I try to keep my elbows iced down with a Bud can or 3 :cheers:

It's lots of work to begin, but once you have the components clean, the maintenance part is pretty easy.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:35 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 178 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (c4cruiser)

I use the Scotch-Brite, but with dish soap/water. You could use Fantastic or 409 as well.

For heavy deposits of grease (around ball joints, etc.) use the soap with a parts-cleaning brush.

Larry
code5coupe

:seeya :seeya
Old 04-13-2003, 10:53 PM
Tolofou
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (rocco16)

mineral sprits and detail brush...
Old 04-13-2003, 11:12 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (Tolofou)

Anyone tried the citrus based cleaners?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:18 AM
stinger95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (sraft)

I've had great results with Simple Green and a tooth brush.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Here's an alternate approch for you. Take the aluminum pieces to the plating shop and have them polished. Or set yourself up with a buffing wheel on a strong stand. There is a compound you can buy in block form, I should find out what it is in a day or so, when I do I'll post it.

After they're done, the parts look like they've been chromed.

:party: on..............
Old 04-14-2003, 07:39 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (stinger95)

brass brush for the caked on stuff,

syn steel wool + WD40 for the corrosion,

finish off with a rag and more WD40 :yesnod:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 04-14-2003, 07:51 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Get yourself some good aluminum brightener. Eagle One Mag Cleaner is a pretty good store brand. Get the Eagle One for machined/uncoated/unpolished wheels. Spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds, and spray it off. You'll be amazed at what your aluminum parts will look like :thumbs: Also, you can go to a Semi-Trailer dealer, and get aluminum brightner by the gallon, but it's not dilluted, so you have to mix it yourself with water, but that way you can mix it to the strengh that you desire. Wish I had some pics of mine. I use it on everything aluminum (except wheels) including in the engine compartment. :seeya
Old 04-14-2003, 09:10 AM
champ53
Pro

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (CentralCoaster)

[quote]brass brush for the caked on stuff,

syn steel wool + WD40 for the corrosion,

finish off with a rag and more WD40 :yesnod:

Dude! That's sick! :eek:

:thumbs: :cool:

Jules :flag

[Modified by Mr Mojo, 10:24 PM 4/15/2003]
Old 04-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

As an alternative, I've been toying with the idea of one of the household steam machines to clean those nasty parts. Has anyone tried that approach and which one have you tried?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
beachcat
Safety Car

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (CentralCoaster)

Nice job, they look like mine, except for the spacers. I did my calipers the same color. I used Simple Green, 3M pads, Castrol purple stuff, etc...
Course, once you get it cleaned up, touch up is cake.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Central Coaster How do those spacers look with the wheels on? Are they obvious? I'm changing my wheels soon and thought of the 2000's but was worried about the use of the spacer. Suspension looks great :cool: that's next on my list.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:41 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (Steve87VETTE)

Steve,

The spacers are very noticeable with the wheels on. I was considering painting them semi-flat black to help blend them in with the rotor, but I wouldve had to rough up the surface to get a good paint job.

For now, i'll stay with the machined look, because once I sand them and paint them, I can't really go back. It would beter if the wheels were machined alum also. Fortunately though, the diameter of the adapter isn't larger than the diameter of the wheel mounting surface. That wouldn't look good. Here's a closeup pic with the wheels on.

Old 04-15-2003, 02:34 AM
96CollectorLT4
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (Klimper)

Busch Aluminum Wash....great stuff. Spray on let sit for 2 min. rinse off and you get nice clean alum. then polish to look like chrome if you want.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Gar
Racer

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (96CollectorLT4)

96collectorlt4 your under hood pic is awesome. I had to laugh at this thread cause I just spent the last three hours polishing and shining under mine! :lol: :crazy: Vette people gotta love em! :chevy I used Whistle and brushes then eagle one nevr-dull. Works great once ya get everything clean. finished off with trim detail cream.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (edsalinas)

There is a compound you can buy in block form, I should find out what it is in a day or so, when I do I'll post it.
I believe it's called Wenol

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than...

Old 04-16-2003, 04:41 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (Mr Mojo)

There is a compound you can buy in block form, I should find out what it is in a day or so, when I do I'll post it.

I believe it's called Wenol
Is that the name of it? You would start with the brown bar on a specific type of wheel, then switch to the white bar on a buffer wheel.

I just called Tucson Abrasives. The bars (compound) are made by "Tripoli".
Then the buffers are made of cloth, the first one is called a cutting buff, it's gray in color and feels very stiff, 16 ply 8". The final is white, somewhat soft.

[Modified by edsalinas, 2:49 PM 4/16/2003]
Old 04-16-2003, 05:54 PM
chilihed'95coupe
Racer

Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (edsalinas)

If the parts are already off the car, you can have them sandblasted, then go over them with a wire wheel, and scotch brite pad. Makes the parts look like brand spankin new.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Torch Red
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Re: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than... (Mr Mojo)

---I believe it's called Wenol
MagikDraggin told me about Wenol ... it is nice on the alluminum and cast stuff. I am using it in my engine compartment. Makes some of the parts clean as new if not better ...

The small stuff I use a dremmel...

Quick Reply: Cleaning the aluminum driveline components-is there a better way than...