Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers?

Hey guys, I just finished my exhuast " Muffler eliminators" and right now I only have one exhuast pipe exiting each side, only 2 totall. ANd right now, it sounds like crap, its not loud, not throaty, and doesnt have that special sound I was looking for. When I had the exhuast exit out right behind the Cat, it sounded good, loud and had vibration. The only good thing I see in this straight pipes is that it dosent have any vibration, thats the onlu +.

SO what should I do? Should I put the flowmasters back on ( 80 series, sound is really junky) or should I buy 40seriers mufflers or Dynomax ones and slap them on?

Also in a couple of weeks I'll do away with the SMog system and Cat. WOuld only two mufflers sound good enough? OR should I put a big muffler where the stock cat was, and then run straight pipes after that? WOuld that give me the throaty sound? Any help is good, thanks :yesnod:
Old 04-07-2003, 08:17 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (Light84vette)

I HAD Dynomax mufflers. Ditched them (to much resonance) and got some 40 series :yesnod:
Old 04-07-2003, 08:21 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (NUckINg FuTS)

I got the Dynomax Super Turbos liek you see in Eckelrs and mid america, for the price they are really a good muffler with a great sound. My only complaint is that the hanger hook broke off after @ 1 year, I had it welded back on with no more problems.

Plus they come with chrome tips!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:45 AM
grapeknutz
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I got some super turbo LT1 type on order, I emailed them and they had no complaints of resonace....so we will see!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:37 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (grapeknutz)

I forgot to mention I have long tube headers and no cats. With this setup I got resonance with the dynomax and considerably less with the flowmasters. For a stock setup they should be fine.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:44 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have any pics of your " Muffler eliminators" ?

What size pipe did you use?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:27 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I haven't tried Dynomax on the Vette, but I did have them on a Trans Am a few years back and wasn't very impressed with the sound. It sounded stock at idle and barely louder than stock at WOT. I have 40 series Flows on my car now and they absolutely roar, but you will have a lot of resonance. The resonance doesn't bother me that much and it has improved quite a bit with my recent gear changr from 2.59s to 3.07s. :yesnod:
Old 04-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Topless94
Racer

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (TA)

I have them on my car getting ready to have the resinantor taken out. I had Flowmasters on my last vette and at times was to noisy. I like the dynomax I had them put on by a local shop that took my stock LT1 tips and welded them onto the new mufflers they look like original equipment but a little louder but can drive all day with a headache without wanting to chop off my head.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I have dynomax race mufflers on my car where cats would go trying to quiet the car down....Im running hooker aero chambers at the rear....she still sets off car alarms! :yesnod: :jester
Old 04-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

NO, sorry I dont have any pics of the muffler eliminators, I used stock pipes.

Also IF I delete the Cat as well, and just run Dynomax Mufflers in stock location, will it be too loud?

Plus I'm still kinda pist off b/c my Corvette got keyed once again, This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks, I swear if I find out who has done this. It wont be pretty :mad :mad
Old 04-07-2003, 07:16 PM
StealDads67
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MY friend (TreyZ28) has Hooker Aero Chambers on his Camaro, Long tubes no cats.... at idle its not loud at all, just throaty and stout, but when he steps on it screams!!! Typical of aero chambers, I like them they have a nice sound
Old 04-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (StealDads67)

So, no word on if I delete the Cat and use only two Dynomax mufflers in the stock location? How will that sound, has anyone used it ever? :confused:
Old 04-09-2003, 08:36 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry, can't comment about cat delete option but I too have Dynomax mufflers - Ultra Flow Stainless models to be accurate. They have much lower tone than the originals and my friends say they sound good on the outside. There is resonance at about 1500-1800 rpm but by adding some sound insulation to rear hatch area i got it less annoying.

They are supposed to be very free flowing, here is their flow figures (ad though):
http://www.dynomax.com/superturbo.stm
http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloss.stm

I got them because they were IMO decently priced for C4 stainless mufflers. I just hate rust ;)

Toni

[Modified by ToniH, 4:36 PM 4/9/2003]
Old 04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (ToniH)

I've had Dynamax on a few of my f-bodies, including my IROC. The dynamax isn't as obnoxiously loud as other brands, but does provide for a very deep sound that I like. My IROC isn't loud at idle, but when you're inside you can hear the deep rumble and sometimes it'll cause one of the window panes to resonate... all without being loud. When you step on it, it gets loud enough to turn a head or two, but still has that deep sound. Best of all, there's no drone when you're at speed.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers? (Jim85IROC)

Thanks for the charts and the input.

But I'm thinking of another way to, Has anyone put one muffler where the original Location of the Cat is? And then run straight pipes out the back? Would all the extra pipes quet it down too much? I want that throaty sound, It seems that where the stock C4 Mufflers are you cant get that because there is only 6-8inches of pipe behind it? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers?

Quick Reply: Has naybody used Dynomax mufflers?