C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

an interesting L98 factoid....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:20 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (rainsux89)

Cool factoid. Here's another....The L98 has over 3 times the torque of a riced out Honda Civic. That's good enough for me. :smash: :rofl:
I read someones sig line in here the other day I thought was way cool:

"My lug nuts take more torque than your honda puts out"

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 03-17-2003, 03:55 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (CentralCoaster)

I was thinking about something the other day...Ive never seen what an LT1 looks like under the fuel rail covers. Ive tried to do a search for pics but no luck. Got any pics handy???

Neither have I. I assume it must be hideous though for them to cover it up with plastic. :lol:
:jester
It looks the same as yours. A fuel rail and wiring to the injectors. There just aren't any cast aluminum ports to divert the eye. But there also aren't any looooong ports to restrict the air flow at revs. I can post a picture when I get home.

Now the LS1s would be ugly without the covers. The coil pack is right on top of the valve covers. They had to cover that up. Look under the hood of a new Chevy truck to get an idea.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:00 PM
beachcat
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (baddmann)

2 things:

The LT5 that ran in the endurance test was off the assembly line but the L98 that ran in the 24hr endurance test was no where close to stock. It had a Kim Baker modified engine that generated close to 400hp and the car was lightened considerably(about 600 pounds lighter). Both the LT5 and L98 equipped cars took off at the same time and the first 5 records were given to the L98 (100 kilometer, 500 kilometer, 1,000 kilometer, 1 hour and 6 hour records). The LT5 drove on collect the rest of the records(24 hour, 5,000 mile, etc).

With that said I prefer the look of the L98 over my LT1. I had an 88 and the runners just look fantastic when you raise the hood! I would love to add a supercharged L98 to the garage someday...
Ok, good to know the facts now. On a couple of lonely back roads I have only hit 142 in my 87 coupe, pretty much stock. I would love to see the other side of 150.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:02 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Ok, good to know the facts now. On a couple of lonely back roads I have only hit 142 in my 87 coupe, pretty much stock. I would love to see the other side of 150.
It takes a couple of clean highway miles to get over 150 in a stock '87. :blueangel:
Old 03-17-2003, 04:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (baddmann)

2 things:

The LT5 that ran in the endurance test was off the assembly line but the L98 that ran in the 24hr endurance test was no where close to stock. It had a Kim Baker modified engine that generated close to 400hp and the car was lightened considerably(about 600 pounds lighter). Both the LT5 and L98 equipped cars took off at the same time and the first 5 records were given to the L98 (100 kilometer, 500 kilometer, 1,000 kilometer, 1 hour and 6 hour records). The LT5 drove on collect the rest of the records(24 hour, 5,000 mile, etc).

With that said I prefer the look of the L98 over my LT1. I had an 88 and the runners just look fantastic when you raise the hood! I would love to add a supercharged L98 to the garage someday...
Not only was the LT5 motor that was used for the record run off the assembly,it was actually a motor that had been rejected for installation in a ZR-1 as it had some paint finish problems and the QC people booted it off! The car itself used in the attempt was specifically set up for the endurance run with a roll cage, brakes, tires, etc.

At the Monterey Del Oro event last August, I attended a C4 seminar where Dave McLellan was one of the guest speakers. He talked about this record attempt and told us about how the motor got into the car. During the attempt, the only thing done to the motor was the required maintenance (oil changes and such) as required in the owner's manual. At the end, the motor was still within the facory specs for a LT5 motor!!

Old 03-17-2003, 05:41 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (CentralCoaster)

I was thinking about something the other day...Ive never seen what an LT1 looks like under the fuel rail covers. Ive tried to do a search for pics but no luck. Got any pics handy???

Neither have I. I assume it must be hideous though for them to cover it up with plastic. :lol:
:jester
It's not hideous, it's just real engine stuff. You have the same thing hiden behind the ports. Here's a pic of mine, not cleaned up:

Nothing to be ashamed of, just very sharp looking with a cover.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:12 PM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (94lt1torchred)

Nothing to be ashamed of, just very sharp looking with a cover.
Agreed :iagree: Thanks for the pics. Im still having a hard time visualizing the entire thing though....hmmm.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:50 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (DarkHalo)

"My lug nuts take more torque than your honda puts out"

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
:withstupid:
I was torqueing the bolts on my flywheel the other day, and the same thought crossed my mind.
I really wonder how depressing it is to know I can produce the same amount of torque as their car with my two bare hands! :jester
Old 03-18-2003, 08:44 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (USAsOnlyWay)

The thing that sold me on my 85 was the appearance of the L-98 and I intended to polish it from the day I got the car........ I'm still polishing on it but now I'm polishing the parts for my next engine ....... a 427 small bloch with a stealth ram .......... and a bottle :steering:
Old 03-18-2003, 11:32 AM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Cruise-In I Veteran
Default Re: an interesting L98 factoid.... (vettmech)

The LS-1 and LS-6 aren't too pretty naked, either.
My wife's got a LS-1 Camaro with no clothes on the engine.
THe only pretty thing about it is all that ALUMINUM.....and plastic intake....

My Z-06 has the LS-6 and it's covered with plastic clothes.
It looks pretty good with it's clothes on.

The TPI....ahhhh, now there's something that looks like it belongs on a REAL race car. It looks great nekkid.

My Crossfire 84 looks good because the gigantic air cleaner assembly makes the engine look HUGE and belies the fact it only has a couple hundred horsepower.
I do declare it runs about as good as my '91 TPI Vette, though.

Quick Reply: an interesting L98 factoid....