Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 convertible hardtop advice....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 convertible hardtop advice....

I dediced to start a thread here asking the advantages/disadvantages of an OEM convertible hardtop verses a hardtop from http://www.smoothline.com. (this topic has migrated from the 'parts for sale' forum). The smoothline hardtop only mounts at four locations (same as the conv. soft top). Also, it is difficult to tell from the pics I've seen if this top is an exact duplication of the OEM top.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks! :flag
The following users liked this post:
Crusader6 (04-28-2022)
Old 03-11-2003, 09:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (sgtmadman)

The Smoothline top does not have the steel rollbar that ties the left and right sides of the body together like the OEM top has so it does not bolt up to all 6 points. The OEM top has a pair of very hefty steel brackets that attaches the top to the body B-pillars right behind the doors. The OEM top will make the roaster (IMHO) stiffer than the coupe. In addition, the OEM top will allow you to run at NHRA tracks up to, I believe, 11.99. Mr. Mojo would have the right numbers. I can also run open track events with the OEM hardtop. I don't know for sure, but the Smoothline top may not have the rear window defogger built in to its rear window.

With my OEM top bolted on, all of the typical roadster squeaks and rattles go away and the car is much quieter inside. I have B&B TriFlo's and the reduction in resonance with the hardtop on is tremendous. That alone makes the OEM top worth it :yesnod:
MJ6 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-11-2003, 09:53 PM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Than x c4cruiser!

:cool:
Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Smoothline is good up to 11.99. Any quicker than that and I'll need a roll bar just like a coupe. As long as it has a hardtop the inspectors at the track probably don't give a schitt.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:04 PM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (chucks88)

chucks88,

Does the smoothline look any different in appearance than the OEM hardtop? How about the 'rattle' issue - are there more rattles with the smoothline than without or about the same? Thanks....

Old 03-11-2003, 10:10 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

From the outside I would think that they look pretty much the same, but as what was stated they are twice the $$ because of the fact that they are GM and are built better. I spent $500 on mine and is used exclusivly on the track.

Rattles........It does rattle over some larger bumps. Since I've never had a gm hardtop on my car I really can't say if it rattles any more than the GM. However because of the 6 points of contact from the gm top I would think it would rattle less than the Smoothline.

Old 03-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a pick of the OEM top in my sig.

You can compare for appearance
Old 03-12-2003, 09:44 AM
baddmann
Le Mans Master

Here's what I posted in the other thread...

With the GM top, there is a huge increase in overall rigidity. The car is much stiffer over bumps (you can really tell when you go over a railroad track) because of the brackets. As a matter of fact, the GM hardtop part description is "hardtop with integrated rollbar." I doubt the Smoothline top would give this kind of reinforcement.

:cheers:
MJ6 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-12-2003, 10:27 AM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 2 tops do not look the same. the smoothline back window is more flat than the gm top. the gm top looks better.
MJ6 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

About how much is the Smoothline shipped to your door for a c-4? What colors would it come in?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (CTYANK2)

The Smoothline top come is black primer and will need to be painted to match your car.

Their website is http://www.smoothline.com
MJ6 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-12-2003, 01:20 PM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (c4cruiser)

FYI: Here is the marketing email sent to me by smoothline.com....

________________________________________ ____________________
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your inquiry! We appreciate your interest in our products.

When the weather is fair and the top is down, nothing beats the joy of driving a Corvette convertible! However, when the top is up, it’s not so great. If the weather is too hot, too cold, too wet, or if you are on a long drive on the freeway, you just can't beat a hardtop. Now, you can have the best of both worlds!

Adding a Smooth Line Removable Hardtop is the best styling and practical improvement that can be made to your Corvette convertible. Coming or going, our custom designed Hardtop will give an exciting, sleek appearance to your Corvette while comfortably protecting you from the noise and weather.

Our exclusive Hardtops feature a smaller, convertible size, rear window that enhances the aggressive stance of your Corvette giving it a lower, cleaner, look, while reducing annoying rear headlight glare at night. The rear window is flush mounted and gives the car a very smooth appearance. Heads will definitely turn towards your Corvette with our exciting original design!

The interior is upholstered in a thick automotive type headliner felt. This headliner absorbs road noises and also is an excellent insulator against heat or cold. Now you will be able to have normal conversation or enjoy your favorite music on your stereo. When your Corvette is parked, a Hardtop also adds additional security for personal items.

All of Smooth Line Hardtops are made from an oven cured, high quality fiberglass composite that come from the Factory complete with all rubber gaskets installed and all stainless steel attachment latches necessary for an easy on/off. Nothing extra to buy!

Our Hardtops attach similar to the convertible top at the front and rear. No special tools or retro fit kits are needed and most important, a Smooth Line Hardtop attaches without any modifications to your car. The footprint of Our Hardtop is the same as the convertible top eliminating abrasion on the rear deck.

A Smooth Line Corvette Hardtop weighs less than 50 lbs. making it easy to handle and fits all 1986-96 Corvettes. The convertible top is normally stored in the down position, however it can be removed for more interior room.

Please note the stock GM Hardtop weighs over 100 lbs. and bolts on. It is quite a pain to remove and reinstall.
Suggested Retail Price for a standard Smooth Line C-4 Corvette Hardtop in a smooth, ready to paint, primed exterior finish with charcoal gray headliner and tinted Plexiglas window is $1999.95.

We are currently having a special Factory Direct Sale that can save you a substantial amount of money. During this sale the standard Corvette Hardtop is ONLY $1399.95.

Smooth Line also offers many exciting and functional options for a truly custom built Hardtop such as an upgraded interior headliner in various colors for an additional $49.95.

For those who don’t want a painted Hardtop, a Factory installed Elk grain Haartz Vinyl exterior covering is available in many colors at $224.95 extra (white, black, and saddle are the most popular for the C-4.)

Smooth Line also offers a heated tinted glass rear window at $225.00 additional.

Also, included at no extra cost, is heavy-duty packaging for worldwide shipping. Shipping is by truck and the cost is extra.

All of Smooth Line products are premium quality and are fully guaranteed. We simply manufacture the best! We have a “Limited� one-year satisfaction guarantee against defects in workmanship and materials.

All of Smooth Line Hardtops are custom made to order. Manufacturing and delivery time is approx. 6-8 weeks.

Hurry, this special sale will be over soon. If you are looking to save at least $600.00 on a new Hardtop for your Corvette, now is the time to order. Give us a call Toll Free at 1-877-368-4533. We accept all major credit cards.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to phone or E-mail. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks again!

Happy Motoring,

Dave

PS A photo of the Corvette Hardtop can be viewed on our web site. Â On our home page, click on application chart (left side of page). Â Then a black C-5 Corvette will appear, click on it. Â Then a list of cars will appear, click on 86-96 Corvette.
MJ6 (10-21-2020)
Old 03-12-2003, 01:32 PM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Hey Chucks88,

Wow, you purchased your smoothline for $500. I was quoted $1400.00. What's up with THAT???? :confused:

How long ago did you purchase your top?
Old 03-12-2003, 02:10 PM
rainsux89
Drifting

OEM tops are on Ebay all the time for less money than the Smoothline and with the OEM you have the benifit of the "roll bar" and a genuine GM part. When my OEM hardtop is on my Vette, it's like I'm driving a fixed roof sedan compared to when I'm running just the rag top. It's like having two cars in one. :yesnod:
MJ6 (10-18-2021)
Old 03-12-2003, 02:12 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a grand total of $1200 in my factory hardtop. $800 for the top and $400 for show-car quality paint that matches the Polo Green perfectly. I install and remove the top by myself with a hoist and it takes about 20 minutes. BTW the OEM top only weighs about 65lbs. I can pick it up by myself.

The rear window has a defogger built in and connects to the factory pigtails.

I'm sure that Smoothline makes a good product, but I don't think you can beat the OEM top for the intended purpose.

Old 03-12-2003, 02:15 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (c4cruiser)

there are some on ebay right now. one is a black gm top.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:33 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Hey Chucks88,

Wow, you purchased your smoothline for $500. I was quoted $1400.00. What's up with THAT???? :confused:

How long ago did you purchase your top?
I bought it used a year ago for $500

Get notified of new replies

To C4 convertible hardtop advice....

Old 03-12-2003, 06:35 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

My Smoothline is good up to 11.99. Any quicker than that and I'll need a roll bar just like a coupe. As long as it has a hardtop the inspectors at the track probably don't give a schitt.
For NHRA. If you run at an IHRA track you are good to 11.49
Old 03-12-2003, 06:42 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (scorp508)

For NHRA. If you run at an IHRA track you are good to 11.49
Good to know, I'll be flirtin' with those times now that installed my airfoil
Old 03-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: C4 convertible hardtop advice.... (baddmann)

I doubt the Smoothline top would give this kind of reinforcement.
R-D Racing (Dave is on the forum) makes a cross bar which is supposed to accomplish the same thing. http://www.r-dracing.com/c4crossbar.htm
(the pictures of the one for the vert is at the bottom of the page.)
I have not used it myself, but I will probably be buying one this summer. Dave has a great reputation around here. He might have some helpful insight.

[Modified by Fozzy_Bear, 7:07 PM 3/12/2003]

Quick Reply: C4 convertible hardtop advice....