C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver

PLEASE don't let this thread erupt into yet another "f-bodys suck" thread. As most of you are probably aware, I've been on a 6-speed C4 hunt for over a year. I have driven a few, and each time I've had to travel a minimum of 3 hours to see the car because there's nothing in my area. Now there's a 97 WS6 trans am at a local dealer that I'm going to drive tomorrow. I've been thinking about what car I'd be better off with. I prefer the feeling of the C4, but from a styling standpoint I think the WS6 gets the nod. The LT1 C4 seems to be a fair bit faster than the WS6, and definately handles better. My big hang-up right now with the C4 (other than the non-existance of 6 speeds in my area) is the potential maintance/mod costs. I look at things like exhaust prices, windshield replacement costs, ball joints and other similar things, and there is a staggering difference between the two. Since the payments would be pretty much the same in either case, it boils down to spending my IROC mod money on repairs, and which will suck up more of it. I just wanted to get some opinions from people. Since this is the Corvette forum, I'm sure it'll be biased, but that's ok. ;) I'm not looking so much for "buy this or buy that" advice, but more or less just some ideas about maintance & upgrade costs. :cheers:

[Modified by Jim85IROC, 12:01 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 12:09 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

F-bodies suck. :D

Seriously the only time I get aggravated is if I go somewhere with friends and can't drive (i like to be the driver) if we have more than 2 people. Well that and sometimes carrying a load of cow manure in the hatch can get a bit odd.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:16 PM
rainsux89
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver (Jim85IROC)

F-bodies are cool. Had an 89 IROC a few years ago...I think I remember you from nethirdgen.org when I used to hang there. Anyway, the WS6 T/A would be what I would drive if there were no such a thing as a Corvette. :thumbs:
Old 02-20-2003, 12:16 PM
BADMUDE
Safety Car

There is only one question you need to ask yourself......which will the Slimmies dig more? ;) :D
Old 02-20-2003, 12:21 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the price to maintain both is about the same. i put a wind shield in my 96 ws6 ta and it was well over $1000. price to mod and all that should be the same also. it might be a little higher for the ta because they build and sell more chevy performance stuff. i have a 2000 ws6 ta now and i have no problems with it. its about the same as the vette. the 2000 ta has the ls1 motor and its extremely fast. the ta has a back seat that i use from time to time. it all depends on what you are going to do with it. if you keep the iroc i would get the vette because the iroc and the ta are the same thing.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver (stillthere)

the price to maintain both is about the same. i put a wind shield in my 96 ws6 ta and it was well over $1000. price to mod and all that should be the same also. it might be a little higher for the ta because they build and sell more chevy performance stuff. i have a 2000 ws6 ta now and i have no problems with it. its about the same as the vette. the 2000 ta has the ls1 motor and its extremely fast. the ta has a back seat that i use from time to time. it all depends on what you are going to do with it. if you keep the iroc i would get the vette because the iroc and the ta are the same thing.
I'm not sure I follow you here. If you paid a grand for a Firebird windshield, you got ripped... hard. As for the TA mods being more, I don't follow you there either. Engine components are the same price, but headers, exhaust, intake, superchargers, and other external equipment is far more expensive for the y-body. Price a C4 exhaust and compare it to an f-body equivalent.

The IROC and a 97 Trans Am are not in any way the same thing. Other than the rear suspension, they have nothing at all in common. I didn't mean to pick your post apart, but none of what you wrote really made much sense to me.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:01 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

if you know all the answers dont ask the questions. insurance paid for the wind shield so i paid nothing. the price is the same for both corvette and trans am because they are close to the same shape and size. iroc and ta are different only because the ta is 10 years newer. they are both 4 seater f-bodies thus they are the same. if you buy the exhaust and the super charger and whatever else you buy from the same place they will be close to the same price and in some cases the same part.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:05 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As most of you are probably aware, I've been on a 6-speed C4 hunt for over a year. I have driven a few, and each time I've had to travel a minimum of 3 hours to see the car because there's nothing in my area.
That because 6 speeds are somewhat rare and you live in east bumf-...I mean a low population area.

Anyways, IMO Corvettes are built with better parts than F-bodies, you get what you pay for. On my GMC pickup truck, I amazed at how cheap some of the non specific s10 parts are. I don't know if the F-bodies parts are this cheap but the parts are noticable cheaper than for my Corvette.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Face it man, you are not a Vette guy, or you would just go buy one, who cars about maintance/mod costs. If you take care of it, it will take car of you, If you have to think about it, you really don't want one, Just stay with your Camaro's, a Vette is not for you. You will be one of those that whine about every little problem and you won't be happy with it. :smash:
Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver (Mikez40)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :party: :withstupid:
Old 02-20-2003, 01:27 PM
TimC
Burning Brakes

CI 3-4-6-8-9 Veteran

Besides routine maintenance, I've only replaced the starter in over 2 years. Less than $150 from Jeff Kopp :thumbs:.

My previous daily driver Firebird couldn't go 2 years without a half a dozen things breaking (inside and out). I still love the Firebird and kept it for bad weather though. :lol:

All cars break...I wouldn't buy one for what "might" or "might not" happen.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: (scorp508)

F-bodies suck. :D

Seriously the only time I get aggravated is if I go somewhere with friends and can't drive (i like to be the driver) if we have more than 2 people. Well that and sometimes carrying a load of cow manure in the hatch can get a bit odd.
:lol:
Old 02-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

My opinion, the vette will need less mods to perform.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver (stillthere)

if you know all the answers dont ask the questions. insurance paid for the wind shield so i paid nothing. the price is the same for both corvette and trans am because they are close to the same shape and size. iroc and ta are different only because the ta is 10 years newer. they are both 4 seater f-bodies thus they are the same. if you buy the exhaust and the super charger and whatever else you buy from the same place they will be close to the same price and in some cases the same part.
I'm asking questions that you didn't answer. I knew the answer to your questions, which is why I didn't ask them.

How do you see where you're going with your head so far up your butt? The price is NOT the same for glass. $200 for an f-body, $500+ for a Vette. The difference between a third generation IROC and a 4th generation Firebird is huge. By your reasoning (4 seats), my car is the same as a honda. I guess that makes your Vette the same as a Miata. Miatas must run "13 flat" in the 1/4 too. :rolleyes:

Have you priced exhaust and similar stuff for both cars? I'm guessing not. $500-$1k seems to be the going rate of most C4 exhaust systems. F-body exhausts, from the same manufactuerers, tend to run $300-$500.

Face it man, you are not a Vette guy, or you would just go buy one, who cars about maintance/mod costs
Because I don't just run out and get raped by the first monkey charging $5k over book for a beat up C4, I must not want one? Dgoodhue hit the nose on the head... I live in east bumf*** and what few 6 speed Vettes there are around here are grossly overpriced. A local guy just paid $18k for a 60k mile 93 automatic. Before I incur the added costs of travelling and the stress of potentially buying a car sight-unseen (or flying across the country to find a poopiebox car), I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

For those of you that were helpful, thank you. For the rest of you, well, read my mind. I'll seek advice elsewhere, maybe somewhere where i won't immediately go on the defensive. :rolleyes:

Can you hear that? Do you? That's the sound of my percentage points disappearing. :D

[Modified by Jim85IROC, 1:59 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Snackdragons
Racer

I myself have a 1994 firebird formula 6 spd in the driveway next to a 96 lt4 six spd vette.

The firechicken uses cheaper 16" tires which are thinner and therefore can fit STUDDED MUD AND SNOW TIRES FOR WINTER. this is impossible since those tires dont exist for the vette... the vette sucks in snow.

The vette is better in rain with the right rubber because of the independant rear suspension. Handles better in the twisties because of wider tires and less weight/body roll.

Tires cost a poopieload on the vette. The firechicken cannot fit wider rims/tires compared to the vette.

The firechicken has better aerodynamics than the vette, the fbody camaro does not. According to lingenfelter the firebird is more stable at 160 mph.

The firechicken will be more expensive initially to go fast. Since the major restictions are intake (need ram air) and exhaist manifold. the stock vette exhasut manifold and exhaist flows a lot better. All the detuning of the fbody LT1 is on the exhaust side. Running true dual exhaust on the FBODY is a hassle for grund clearance.

The firebirds interior fit and finish/quality is much less than the vettes.

The Fbodies borg warner six speed is much cheaper than the zf 6 spd in the vette to fix/repair/maintain.

The fbody "feels" faster, and is louder, peels out more. But if both the vette or fbody had the same amount of power, the vette would be faster.

The fbody is CUMBORSOME to park, the doors are huge and annoying.

the fbody has more cargo room.

there's more...

AH, the Fbody uses more gas than the vette.

[Modified by Snackdragons, 12:58 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Face it man, you are not a Vette guy, or you would just go buy one, who cars about maintance/mod costs.
This has to be a joke. :skep:
Old 02-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: (scorp508)

This has to be a joke. :skep:
It may as well be. That's the direction the rest of this thread took. :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver

Old 02-20-2003, 03:12 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

I'm asking questions that you didn't answer. I knew the answer to your questions, which is why I didn't ask them.

How do you see where you're going with your head so far up your butt? The price is NOT the same for glass. $200 for an f-body, $500+ for a Vette. The difference between a third generation IROC and a 4th generation Firebird is huge. By your reasoning (4 seats), my car is the same as a honda. I guess that makes your Vette the same as a Miata. Miatas must run "13 flat" in the 1/4 too. :rolleyes:

Have you priced exhaust and similar stuff for both cars? I'm guessing not. $500-$1k seems to be the going rate of most C4 exhaust systems. F-body exhausts, from the same manufactuerers, tend to run $300-$500.

Face it man, you are not a Vette guy, or you would just go buy one, who cars about maintance/mod costsBecause I don't just run out and get raped by the first monkey charging $5k over book for a beat up C4, I must not want one? Dgoodhue hit the nose on the head... I live in east bumf*** and what few 6 speed Vettes there are around here are grossly overpriced. A local guy just paid $18k for a 60k mile 93 automatic. Before I incur the added costs of travelling and the stress of potentially buying a car sight-unseen (or flying across the country to find a poopiebox car), I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

For those of you that were helpful, thank you. For the rest of you, well, read my mind. I'll seek advice elsewhere, maybe somewhere where i won't immediately go on the defensive. :rolleyes:

Can you hear that? Do you? That's the sound of my percentage points disappearing. :D

$ 200 is for a wind shield for an old trans am like the one you have pictured not the one you are talking about in your post. i bougjht a wind shield for a new generation trans am so i know what they cost. remember i have one and you dont. i have a corvette too and you dont. yes i have priced an exhaust for a trans am and i bought one. the chip was cheaper for the corvette than the programmer for the ta. i also bought an exhaust system for the corvette. it cost more because i went back with stock gm parts. i have one of each of the cars you are talking about. i have had two of the trans ams and several of the corvettes that i have bought parts for and paid for mant. you have had neither a corvette or a late model trans am nor have you ever bought parts for one. pull your head out of your azz. you have old cars and have never had new cars so dont always second guess the people that know the newer cars. i have read your posts on here before and i know your type well. i dont normaly reply to your posts because of that. why ask opinions when you dont want to hear them? if you knew one quarter of what you think you know you would not have to ask the difference between the two. argue about something you know something about like old camaros.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:21 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

For those of you that were helpful, thank you. For the rest of you, well, read my mind. I'll seek advice elsewhere, maybe somewhere where i won't immediately go on the defensive.

get your butt off your sholders and you wont have to. people starter out being nice to you, you changed the direction.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:49 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

get your butt off your sholders and you wont have to. people starter out being nice to you, you changed the direction.
Oh please. He's obviously done his research when others haven't.

Quick Reply: f-body vs. y-body for a daily driver