Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car Lot Vettes???

Old 02-19-2003, 03:05 PM
mistercorvette89
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Lot Vettes???

Would you guys ever buy a Vette off of a used car lot dealer??
I was looking at a white 95 coupe auto with 22k miles. Price 19k
It look like it needed some weather stripping around the windows..
Just wondering. My only concern was no one knows what the dealer
has done to a car?? any thoughts? or would you buy only from a private owner??
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (mistercorvette89)

Would you guys ever buy a Vette off of a used car lot dealer??
I was looking at a white 95 coupe auto with 22k miles. Price 19k
It look like it needed some weather stripping around the windows..
Just wondering. My only concern was no one knows what the dealer
has done to a car?? any thoughts? or would you buy only from a private owner??
if you buy from a dealer you get a warranty! automatically 30-60 day but if you wanted more i could give you 2 year guarantee on a 93-96 for about $1300.00! that is about what the first tranny job will cost you....unless its a stick & the syncros are shot! :eek: a car should sell itself! it shouldnt matter who is selling it. what matters is the condition 7 price of the car! :yesnod:
Old 02-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have bought 3 Vettes off car lots.

1986 Coupe
1993 Coupe
1993 vert.

My ZR-1 is the first Vette I bought from a private party.

I have no problems buying from a Dealer. Their are some good deals out their if you look hard enough. Plus you can get a great buy on cars coming off a lease.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (Mikez40)

:troll :troll :troll :troll :troll
Old 02-19-2003, 03:22 PM
steve123
Instructor

I would stay away from used car lots. In most cases, these cars are bought at auction (many are obtained at a cheap price from the "red" light lanes-hi miles, mechanical issues etc). These lots also get cars from new car franchised dealers who may take a car in trade for the sake of making a sale but won't consider putting the vehicle on their lot. Thus, they will sell off to the used car guys just to get rid of the car.
Even with a clean car fax, I wouldn't think of buying a vette from a used car lot. Don't be fooled by the easy credit schemes in which you can drive the car out the same day. Don't forget to check your local better business bureau or the State Attorney Generals office if feel you must do business with a use car lot. Caveat Emptor....... :auto:
Old 02-19-2003, 03:24 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (steve123)

I would stay away from used car lots. In most cases, these cars are bought at auction (many are obtained at a cheap price from the "red" light lanes-hi miles, mechanical issues etc). These lots also get cars from new car franchised dealers who may take a car in trade for the sake of making a sale but won't consider putting the vehicle on their lot. Thus, they will sell off to the used car guys just to get rid of the car.
Even with a clean car fax, I wouldn't think of buying a vette from a used car lot. Don't be fooled by the easy credit schemes in which you can drive the car out the same day. Don't forget to check your local better business bureau or the State Attorney Generals office if feel you must do business with a use car lot. Caveat Emptor....... :auto:
too bad you dont know what you are talking about! what about all the c-5's coming off lease! :rolleyes: :smash:
Old 02-19-2003, 03:24 PM
mistercorvette89
Instructor

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (steve123)

Thanks Steve that makes sense.
Nice Vette you have....
Old 02-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

As long as it's from a reputable dealer, you have nothing to worry about. Just because a car isn't being sold at a new car dealer doesn't mean that there are problems with it. Quite often new car dealers will send cars to auction or wholesale them to local dealers if they were not able to sell it for whatever reason. Non-chevy dealers will often wholesale non-chevy trades because they don't want an off brand on their lot for various reasons, so a local used car dealer will show up with it.

What's important is that you look the car over well. You can learn EVERYTHING that you need to from the car before you buy it. It is very easy to tell what kind of care a car got by looking for tell-tale signs. Oil leaks, scrapes, wear, signs of mechanical or body work, etc. You can learn about the history of the car by what it tells you.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:05 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (vader86)

:troll :troll :troll :troll :troll
:lolg: :lolg: :rofl: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 02-19-2003, 04:22 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

I bought mine from American Sports Car Center in Atlanta - No problems - Very helpful people - Reasonable price - I Would do it again without hesitiation.

On the other hand you more than likely will find a better price from a private seller, but they could lie to you easier than a dealership. Pick your own poison!

Old 02-19-2003, 04:23 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a reputable car dealer will do allot less to a car then an individual will. a car lot can lose its licence and a private owner does not have one to lose. if you can get one for a good price at a dealer its clearly your best bet.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:30 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Another thing - I f you never been to an all Corvette Showroom that has Vettes from all eras including the 50's, you need to go. It's like being in a toy store at 10 years of age! :cool:

Check out the Link Below
http://www.buyavette.net
Old 02-19-2003, 04:41 PM
steve123
Instructor

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

I am a VP for a leasing company for over 20 yrs. I know a little about the business. Good certifiable C-5's will wind up on the front line of the dealer who in most cases sold the car. Here on Long Island, Ramp Chevrolet is the largest corvette dealer. They have an excellent selection of used C-5's which are for the most part one owner and lease returns. Buying a used C-5 or any vette from a franchised dealer is a pretty safe bet. However, deal with the guy with the dirt lot, trailer and string of light bulbs and your treading in dangerous waters. Hope this clarifies my point
Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (Jim85IROC)

As long as it's from a reputable dealer, you have nothing to worry about. Just because a car isn't being sold at a new car dealer doesn't mean that there are problems with it. Quite often new car dealers will send cars to auction or wholesale them to local dealers if they were not able to sell it for whatever reason. Non-chevy dealers will often wholesale non-chevy trades because they don't want an off brand on their lot for various reasons, so a local used car dealer will show up with it.

What's important is that you look the car over well. You can learn EVERYTHING that you need to from the car before you buy it. It is very easy to tell what kind of care a car got by looking for tell-tale signs. Oil leaks, scrapes, wear, signs of mechanical or body work, etc. You can learn about the history of the car by what it tells you.
well put! :iagree: i sometimes buy cars off frony lines at new car dealers & let me tell you i find lots of stuff wrong with cars they say are retail ready! i dont even think they detail cars correctly.....NEW CAR DEALERS ARE THE WORST! :yesnod: :smash:
Old 02-19-2003, 05:30 PM
steve123
Instructor

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (stillthere)

Well stated.... :auto:

[Modified by steve123, 10:30 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 05:59 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes???

I would NEVER buy ANOTHER car from a USED car lot.

I Do not care how much :bs they try to lay on me, NEVER again :nonod:

A USED car warranty IMO is NOT worth the paper printed on - this is MY experience.

FWIW, many Vettes are so well cared for, the "creampuff" you are looking at was probably in a local paper 2 weeks prior - and you can take THAT to the bank :cheers:
Old 02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (*89x2*)

I would NEVER buy ANOTHER car from a USED car lot.

I Do not care how much :bs they try to lay on me, NEVER again :nonod:

A USED car warranty IMO is NOT worth the paper printed on - this is MY experience.

FWIW, many Vettes are so well cared for, the "creampuff" you are looking at was probably in a local paper 2 weeks prior - and you can take THAT to the bank :cheers:
sounds like you dont know how to check out a car properly! :jester :p:

Get notified of new replies

To Car Lot Vettes???

Old 02-19-2003, 06:10 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (yoslambo1@cs.com)

Not to debate the subject w/ you (as you must be an expert in the business )
but, what makes you think I cannot find a better deal on my own?

I would like you to give me 3 bonafide reasons to buy a car from a used car lot.

FWIW, My wifes truck, I bought used w/ a FACTORY (not a fly by night used car lot special) Warranty. I then extended the warranty myself to 100k by not going to the same dealers that wanted 4-5k more for the truck itself - and saving $1,200 bucks on the ext. warranty to boot...
The truck itself has been an absolute pleasure to drive, has cost nothing to own (other than maint. items) and the pwr steering pump that went - I doubt Supermans x ray vision could have seen that coming :rolleyes:

Please tell me, how would a dealers lot saved me anything???

Same principles apply to Corvettes :cheers:
Old 02-19-2003, 06:18 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

Default Re: Car Lot Vettes??? (*89x2*)

Not to debate the subject w/ you (as you must be an expert in the business )
but, what makes you think I cannot find a better deal on my own?

I would like you to give me 3 bonafide reasons to buy a car from a used car lot.

FWIW, My wifes truck, I bought used w/ a FACTORY (not a fly by night used car lot special) Warranty. I then extended the warranty myself to 100k by not going to the same dealers that wanted 4-5k more for the truck itself - and saving $1,200 bucks on the ext. warranty to boot...
The truck itself has been an absolute pleasure to drive, has cost nothing to own (other than maint. items) and the pwr steering pump that went - I doubt Supermans x ray vision could have seen that coming :rolleyes:

Please tell me, how would a dealers lot saved me anything???

Same principles apply to Corvettes :cheers:
reason 1. all dealers must safty inspect car. 2. you can buy an extended warranty. 3.most dealers dont want to sell junk as it will give them a bad name! you are acting like all dealers are scum! :mad ill admit plenty are but you are more likley to get burned by a private seller as they have no rules! :smash:
Old 02-19-2003, 06:24 PM
ckgunn
Pro

I got mine from a dealer. It needed work, but I got a got a good deal and was able to do most of the work myself. It was a 12 year old car, I didn't expect it to be perfect for the price I paid. :D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Lot Vettes???