Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE READ ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE READ ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT

Heys it's for sale on ebay. the item number is 2402554658. Looks like it can be had for around 6,000. I talked to the guy on the phone and he said short of a little wear on the drivers seat and the A/C needing charging the car was in excellent condition. The C4 market has changed from month to month. If i can pick this up for 6000 -6200 is that a good deal. I was almost thinking of buying it just to sell locally. Let me know what you think. I am very interested. I miss my 84 4+3 from time to time and this would probably fill the void. How much is this car worth. kbb.com put it at only about 5100 but that can't be right. I sold my 84 for 6,000 on ebay only 7 months ago. Please repond with your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-11-2003, 02:58 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal??

A 86 coupe with 91K for 6000-62000 is about average in my opinion. Having owned a 84 you know all the pit falls LCD, Trany, ball joints ect... Did you ask about these items and the history of maintenace?
Old 02-11-2003, 03:02 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? (ejfagala)

I asked about everything i could think of. He has owned it for 7 years. Does not drive it much as he bought a 98 a few years ago. It was repainted 3 years ago. The tranny and overdrive work fine he said. The cluster functions properly, the headlight motors are fine. Wheels and tires are good. Basically he said everything was fine with the exception of the a/c needing charging and the drivers side seat bolster. i figure the a/c would run about 500 to do as it will need retrofitting. I'm wondering if this is wise. I really don't need another vette but thought this price was low and might be able to turn a quick profit of a couple grand. People who don't know vettes well pay more. I figured if this car is everything he said it is i could sell it for 8000-9000 out here in RI. I don't know maybe it is a stupid idea. Any other thoughts. I guess i wouldnt keep it long if i bought it because 6000 could buy a lot of goodies for my 91 vert:) Let me know if you think this is a steal or not.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:08 PM
yellowlust
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal??

I'm going to sell my 86 (auto) with a few more miles then that one. I would think 6-7k would be about right. Not a steal on that ebay car. Patience is the key to finding the right car for the right money, the gentleman who scored that ZR-1 can attest to that. If you have to have this particular car right now then go ahead. But if you can wait, then something better may come along.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:52 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? (yellowlust)

less than two hours left. I am really torn. I think it would be fun to have a "beater"vette. Cmon, lets hear some more opinions!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Justin1984
Drifting

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? (robertpel9)

less than two hours left. I am really torn. I think it would be fun to have a "beater"vette. Cmon, lets hear some more opinions!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
If you have the steam then go for it! The price isn't totally out of the question...Last year in my area I saw an 84 sell for $5900 and it was a disaster of a car.

I just don't like that you typically can't see ebay cars in person before you buy.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? (Justin1984)

If you are buying the car for yourself as a "beater" vette, and you like the car, then you should buy it. I wouldn't buy the car to try and make a profit on it. The market is unpredictable, and you may not be able to unload it at the price you are looking for.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:02 PM
84FromHell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE RE)

I see the auction has ended. Not sure if you're the one that bought it, but I hope it's better than the one I went to look at from ebay a year ago .. yes, I saw pics before I went but I swear it was trick photography :jester My heart sunk as soon as I saw the car .. it was a POS

And I wouldn't say 6.2K was a great deal for the one you were looking at .. jmo :cheers:
Old 02-12-2003, 10:55 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE RE) (84FromHell)

i didnt buy it. I thought about it and realized i would probably never use it. If i didnt have the Acura CL as a daily driver i could have put it to good use that way but other than that i though it would not get much use. Also I think i could have sold it outside of the internet for maybe 7500-8000 but i wasnt gonna be worth all that effor just to make a grand or two. So in the end i decided against it. I will say however i think at 6200 it was a good deal if someone wanted to buy it to keep and enjoy it. I talked to the guy extensively on the phone and it sounded like a good car. Hope whoever bought it enjoys it. I think we undervalue cars on the forum. I had no proble getting rid of my 84 for around the same price last summer and it needed paint and seat recovering and a new steering rack. I sold it on ebay in 3 days for 5600. There is a difference between what enthusiasts like us are willing to pay and the general public. The general public has no idea what to pay and will pay a lot more than we will.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

$6200 was a fair price, but I wouldn't call it a "steal" or anything
Old 02-12-2003, 07:14 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: (Drewdog)

Act in haste and repent in leisure. You made the right choice. You shouldn't have to agonize weather to buy it or not. If it is the right car, you buy it, and never look back because there were no concerns in the first place. IMHO ;)
Old 02-12-2003, 10:04 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: (ittlfly)

:withstupid:

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE READ ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT

Quick Reply: Thinking of adding 2nd vette. Is this a good deal?? PLEASE READ ONLY A FEW HOURS LEFT