Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'93 Build sheet/window sticker question... charge to CPC Group Engineering Center??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 05:37 PM
97SLVRC5
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default '93 Build sheet/window sticker question... charge to CPC Group Engineering Center??

Realized my '93 build sheet and window sticker had following details,

Charge to code: 00502
CPC Group Engineering Center
30003 Van **** Rm. A106
Warren, MI

Ship to code: 70847
NAO C/O QUAL-EFFIC
7133 Eleven Mile Road
Warren, MI

Torch Red convertible 6 speed, build sheet date 5/17/93 at Bowling Green Assembly.

Am hoping someone may have some insight - I just realized that these appear to be GM divisions, and not a local dealership.

THANKS

Old 04-24-2024, 07:12 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Just speculating that the address is a distribution center since these cars weren’t manufactured in Michigan.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:58 AM
matmondro
Heel & Toe

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty cool actually!

The first address is the GM Tech Center in Warren. It's a huge engineering facility for GM. I'd have to ask my dad, but I believe he worked there for a little bit in the early 90s, or took some classes there or something while he was getting his degree in drafting. The Wiki page is worth a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...chnical_Center

The second address shows up as GM CVO (Company Vehicle Operations) in Warren. From the sounds of the some of the results of Google searching, this place might take in vehicles that were ordered by employees of the company, specifically management? No clear answer though.

Do you know the history of the car or have more original paperwork with it? Overall, sounds like the car was either ordered by some sort of manager at GM, or perhaps GM itself for testing or quality control purposes. I'd do some more digging on your VIN if you're able to!
Old 04-25-2024, 07:05 PM
97SLVRC5
Advanced

Originally Posted by matmondro
That's pretty cool actually!

The first address is the GM Tech Center in Warren. It's a huge engineering facility for GM. I'd have to ask my dad, but I believe he worked there for a little bit in the early 90s, or took some classes there or something while he was getting his degree in drafting. The Wiki page is worth a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...chnical_Center

The second address shows up as GM CVO (Company Vehicle Operations) in Warren. From the sounds of the some of the results of Google searching, this place might take in vehicles that were ordered by employees of the company, specifically management? No clear answer though.

Do you know the history of the car or have more original paperwork with it? Overall, sounds like the car was either ordered by some sort of manager at GM, or perhaps GM itself for testing or quality control purposes. I'd do some more digging on your VIN if you're able to!
Thanks for your reply!! I'd love to hear any info your Dad may have and I appreciate your time. I will check out the link.

User IHBD kindly shared some information - I don't see his post in the thread, but his reply is in my inbox...... they shared that I'd want to look at the Service Parts decal... I didn't see any codes indicating it was non-salable, pilot, prototype nor engineering. Just a very pedestrian build, albeit, with both a 6SM and convertible top.

Based on VinCheck.info, the car found its way to Florida in 2015 and was listed for sale with 29,991 miles. Before buying the car, I think I read on CarFax or similar that most of those miles were in the first few years of ownership.

In 2021 it was listed in (now closed) Contes Corvettes in Vineland with 34k miles. I assume it was driven from FL to NJ. It bounced back and forth between Contes and a used car dealership that is local to Contes.... and, per CarFax, sold at the used car dealership... and I found it on a Ford lot in NJ.

The car is very clean, no oil leaks - left my mechanic surprised. Had the pinion seal replaced - aside from that, ball joints need to be replaced - but that's it.

I only ended up down this rabbit hole because there was a cheesy 40th Anniversary decal on the deck lid. Doesn't look factory to me, it doesn't have the 40th anniversary package - I couldn't find another car online with a similar decal, nor could I find the decals for sale.

What perplexed me was how the decal was installed - it wasn't just applied to the car, it wraps under the deck lid pad and blended. More work went into installing this decal than replacing or respraying - so - I checked the dealership on the window sticker - sometimes dealers apply this crap, lol. Then I realized.... there was an engineering center, and no dealer.

Below are pictures of the decal, and how it was installed under the pad.

I realized used Vettes are like used guitars - sometimes they're parted, reconditioned, stuff is swapped - but, heck, the work that went into installing this decal makes no sense to me whatsoever. Paint on the car looks mostly original - I can see touch ups here and there.. body lines are straight, aside from the lower rear fender not being installed after a battery replacement, dated 2022.

The car runs like new and the wear I see is exactly what I'd expect from a 1993 GM car driven this many miles....

Wish I had some history on this car, it is rather perplexing to me, lol.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:20 PM
matmondro
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 97SLVRC5
Thanks for your reply!! I'd love to hear any info your Dad may have and I appreciate your time. I will check out the link.

User IHBD kindly shared some information - I don't see his post in the thread, but his reply is in my inbox...... they shared that I'd want to look at the Service Parts decal... I didn't see any codes indicating it was non-salable, pilot, prototype nor engineering. Just a very pedestrian build, albeit, with both a 6SM and convertible top.

Based on VinCheck.info, the car found its way to Florida in 2015 and was listed for sale with 29,991 miles. Before buying the car, I think I read on CarFax or similar that most of those miles were in the first few years of ownership.

In 2021 it was listed in (now closed) Contes Corvettes in Vineland with 34k miles. I assume it was driven from FL to NJ. It bounced back and forth between Contes and a used car dealership that is local to Contes.... and, per CarFax, sold at the used car dealership... and I found it on a Ford lot in NJ.

The car is very clean, no oil leaks - left my mechanic surprised. Had the pinion seal replaced - aside from that, ball joints need to be replaced - but that's it.

I only ended up down this rabbit hole because there was a cheesy 40th Anniversary decal on the deck lid. Doesn't look factory to me, it doesn't have the 40th anniversary package - I couldn't find another car online with a similar decal, nor could I find the decals for sale.

What perplexed me was how the decal was installed - it wasn't just applied to the car, it wraps under the deck lid pad and blended. More work went into installing this decal than replacing or respraying - so - I checked the dealership on the window sticker - sometimes dealers apply this crap, lol. Then I realized.... there was an engineering center, and no dealer.

Below are pictures of the decal, and how it was installed under the pad.

I realized used Vettes are like used guitars - sometimes they're parted, reconditioned, stuff is swapped - but, heck, the work that went into installing this decal makes no sense to me whatsoever. Paint on the car looks mostly original - I can see touch ups here and there.. body lines are straight, aside from the lower rear fender not being installed after a battery replacement, dated 2022.

The car runs like new and the wear I see is exactly what I'd expect from a 1993 GM car driven this many miles....

Wish I had some history on this car, it is rather perplexing to me, lol.

Sounds like you picked up a nice one! Congrats!

That graphic is definitely not factory; although, it actually doesn't look that bad IMO.

Based off the info you gave, especially noting the majority of the car's miles were in the first few years, I'd take a bet that some upper management person at GM had ordered that car for personal use, but as upper management it was a "company car." On a side note funny enough, I actually grew up in a Ford family with my dad having retired after 33 years working in drafting and body CAD. My mom is close to retirement from Ford too, also working in body CAD. But, they say the same thing happens at Ford where higher level managers basically get a car on the company's dime and drive it for a few years, almost like a lease. So I'm betting this Vette is probably something similar!
Old 04-25-2024, 08:03 PM
97SLVRC5
Advanced

Originally Posted by matmondro
Sounds like you picked up a nice one! Congrats!

That graphic is definitely not factory; although, it actually doesn't look that bad IMO.

Based off the info you gave, especially noting the majority of the car's miles were in the first few years, I'd take a bet that some upper management person at GM had ordered that car for personal use, but as upper management it was a "company car." On a side note funny enough, I actually grew up in a Ford family with my dad having retired after 33 years working in drafting and body CAD. My mom is close to retirement from Ford too, also working in body CAD. But, they say the same thing happens at Ford where higher level managers basically get a car on the company's dime and drive it for a few years, almost like a lease. So I'm betting this Vette is probably something similar!
Thanks! I'm enjoying it so far and what you suggest makes a lot of sense.

Keeping my fingers crossed to learn more about it, but, in the meantime .... it is quite a thrill!

The following users liked this post:
matmondro (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:20 PM
matmondro
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 97SLVRC5
Thanks! I'm enjoying it so far and what you suggest makes a lot of sense.

Keeping my fingers crossed to learn more about it, but, in the meantime .... it is quite a thrill!
A thrill for sure! I picked up my C4, also my first Vette, about 2 months ago. It's actually the first non-Ford/Lincoln I've owned 😀

C4s are great cars and an underappreciated bang for your buck. Happy cruising!
The following users liked this post:
97SLVRC5 (04-25-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To '93 Build sheet/window sticker question... charge to CPC Group Engineering Center??

Quick Reply: '93 Build sheet/window sticker question... charge to CPC Group Engineering Center??