Help Needed: New Headers Causing Heat Issues and Reliability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:12 AM
paraGoh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed: New Headers Causing Heat Issues and Reliability Issues

Hey fellow Corvette enthusiasts,

I recently completed a header install on my 1993 40th anniversary C4, aiming to clean up the engine bay and enhance performance. However, I知 running into some perplexing issues that have me seeking your expertise.

Shortly after the installation, I began experiencing extreme heat temperatures, to the point where I even melted a coolant temp sender gauge, with the plastic part separating from the brass threaded section. Moreover, the day after the initial drive post-installation, my Corvette started sputtering and stalling, making restarts a challenge.

To address potential causes, I proactively removed all EGR and AIR system components and hoses during the header install, aiming to tidy up the engine bay. However, despite these efforts, I知 still encountering heat-related troubles and performance hiccups. At one point, I even received an H26 code in module 4, further complicating matters.

Given that I rely on my Corvette for a 1.5-mile commute to and from work, at least four days a week, I知 eager to resolve these issues promptly.

I知 reaching out to the community for any management tips or insights into EGR/AIR removal that might help alleviate these concerns. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:35 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 620 Likes on 498 Posts

That sucks. What brand of headers did you buy? Sorry, I have no tips. I'm sure someone here will.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:43 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Not being a X-Pert but a car guy for way too meany years sounds like the headers may have confused the fuel air mixture and maybe the timing as well creating the headers to over heat ,I have installed long tube headers on my 93 as well but added a chip from PC of NC to compensate for the headers install . I have installed headers in lots of different autos over the years but also have them all retuned with no proplems .. Sounds like a retuning issue to me ..

The following users liked this post:
Incorvettei (04-25-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Help Needed: New Headers Causing Heat Issues and Reliability Issues

Quick Reply: Help Needed: New Headers Causing Heat Issues and Reliability Issues