C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

United radio for digital instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 05:10 PM
Mvhflys
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default United radio for digital instrument panel

Just a question for the group. Has anyone used United radio in NY for digital instrument repair?

My 87 has 4+3 and has no overdrive display. I got in touch with Batee and they are quoting $500+ to get the right boards and refurbish it. In June 2000, it was repaired by United radio that obviously used the wrong boards out of an 1985. United radio has offer to repair and fix it. Not sure I trust them because everyone says to use Batee.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:51 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 555 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvhflys
Just a question for the group. Has anyone used United radio in NY for digital instrument repair?

My 87 has 4+3 and has no overdrive display. I got in touch with Batee and they are quoting $500+ to get the right boards and refurbish it. In June 2000, it was repaired by United radio that obviously used the wrong boards out of an 1985. United radio has offer to repair and fix it. Not sure I trust them because everyone says to use Batee.
I would buy the correct display on ebay. If it doesn't work, you return it.
It won't be $500
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+87&_osacat=0
Old 04-18-2024, 06:01 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

United Radio quoted you how many $$$?

What makes you so sure UR used incorrect boards? It worked how many years after the UR repair? What is your relationship to the owner in year 2000 when you say UR repaired? Do you know for a fact that this was a UR repair and verified by VIN? Maybe a previous owner bought a used that had been previously repaired? You seem to be assuming much!!!!
Old 04-18-2024, 11:14 PM
Mvhflys
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
United Radio quoted you how many $$$?

What makes you so sure UR used incorrect boards? It worked how many years after the UR repair? What is your relationship to the owner in year 2000 when you say UR repaired? Do you know for a fact that this was a UR repair and verified by VIN? Maybe a previous owner bought a used that had been previously repaired? You seem to be assuming much!!!!
I’m assuming that this thing hasn’t been taken out a bunch of times. It does have a repair sticker from June 19, 2000 from United Radio. I was surprised that they were in business and someone answered the phone. I’m just trying to see if it is worth my time to send it to them.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I’m assuming that this thing hasn’t been taken out a bunch of times. It does have a repair sticker from June 19, 2000 from United Radio. I was surprised that they were in business and someone answered the phone. I’m just trying to see if it is worth my time to send it to them.
If you're so sure that it has incorrect parts in it then I believe it's very foolish to send it 'as is' and expect a reliable repair to maybe any of the conventional shops. You might tell them what you suspect is incorrect and if they offered an estimate before proceeding maybe you send it and let them. Can they supply the parts that you suspect are incorrect? You've got a quote you say of 500$ from Bryan so I'd say you've enough information to make a rationale decision based on a conversation.

There's a CF member that does pretty reasonable cluster exchanges and I believe also has an eBay presence. You might reach out to @scarabexc and see if he can help you with a correct for your car and maybe some $$$ for what you have now. Early clusters I believe he does pretty well.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:38 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 232 Posts

United Radio has been around for years. They install the radio's in most of the police department departments around here. I've had car radios repaired there previously and was satisfied with their work. I know they also do gauge repair but never knew they also tackled Corvette gauges.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:17 PM
Mvhflys
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If you're so sure that it has incorrect parts in it then I believe it's very foolish to send it 'as is' and expect a reliable repair to maybe any of the conventional shops. You might tell them what you suspect is incorrect and if they offered an estimate before proceeding maybe you send it and let them. Can they supply the parts that you suspect are incorrect? You've got a quote you say of 500$ from Bryan so I'd say you've enough information to make a rationale decision based on a conversation.

There's a CF member that does pretty reasonable cluster exchanges and I believe also has an eBay presence. You might reach out to @scarabexc and see if he can help you with a correct for your car and maybe some $$$ for what you have now. Early clusters I believe he does pretty well.
All fixed. Swapped the old gauges with a rebuild 1987. Thank you for the information.
There is no difference between manual and automatic transmission gauges just cruise and no cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To United radio for digital instrument panel

Quick Reply: United radio for digital instrument panel