Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Value of LT4 Collectors Edition (Looking at buying)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 04:14 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Value of LT4 Collectors Edition (Looking at buying)

Hopefully this is in the correct section, and sorry of this has been asked or hashed over before. Also, if in wrong section, please move.

I feel the need, the need for another C4, I've had 6 before!! I have not had an Lt4 car yet, or even been in one. There is one near me, however, it definitely needs some TLC and repair. I am just not sure on current values of these, as it seems as prices have went up since my last car.
Here are some detail......

1996 Collectors Edition, 6 spd and of course LT4, 101,xxx miles, black interior, I believe he said it is a Z51 car but I didn't verify, looks just like Corsa exhaust, but I think it is a copy as it had no Corsa i.d. on tips, Vortex cold air intake, new clutch and aluminum flywheel. He claims he has had several of the Lt4 cars, and this one is quicker than the others.

The BAD...rear left side quarter has damage ( I was quoted max $1000 to repair by reputable source), has blown low pressure power steering line, cheap fix, but I couldn't even drive the car as it sits, has crappy older model wheels and tires which would need to be replaced (with black center staggered ZR1 repros and 315's!!!), over all seems pretty solid with normal C4 Vette issues and tinkering needed.

At this point, best deal I can secure is $9500 delivered to my door. I feel this a little on the high side considering the unknowns and know issues. All said and done, I think I would be into the car for around max $13000 with new wheels and tires, body in very nice driver condition, interior also very nice driver condition, and ready to roll. Any help and/or opinions are appreciated. Thanks

NOTE, SEE INTERESTING NEW RECENT POST BY ME DOWN BELOW. ANOTHER LOCAL CAR FOUND!!

Last edited by 1987fb; 03-24-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:28 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Price seems ok. It is an lt4 ce. But, I would really want to drive it before buying it. I know, captain obvious statement.

That said, you will love the power of an lt4 over the lesser engines. Yes, a corsa exhaust should have "corsa" on the tips. If not, probably obx exhaust. If it is a z51, it will not have selective ride control. If true z51, should have it on the options sheet, under the rear storage compartment door.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:39 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Thanks, I think we are on the same page. Driving it is probably not an option unfortunately, but he does seem pretty stand up so I guess cross fingers. It does NOT have the selective ride control, but like I said, I didn't look at the option codes. I have historically got C4's for way cheaper, but I guess that was years ago, and they were of course not LT4 cars, which seems to be getting to be kind of a big deal. I feel like if this car was for sale in the ready condition as I would get it too, it would be worth in that $13,000 ball park. But then maybe I would be getting an all stock car, which I would then spend money on the same mods!!! LOL Does that seem accurate?
Assuming no major unforeseen issues were to pop up, I'd like to think I wouldn't be at risk for losing money or being too upside down.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:54 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,297 Likes on 877 Posts

Body damage, would need to see some pics.

But the low pressure line is an easy fix, depending upon where it is leaking from.

Look at the SPID label and verify it is a Z51. Very low volume for that option on the CE.

Tge original Corsa exhaust was not labeled, so it could be one of the original systems. Vortex can go in the garbage and replace with a factory airbox.

I would try to get the price a bit lower with the additional work needed.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:44 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

I sent a couple pics of the damage to my body paint buddy, he said $600-$1000 and it would be good to go.
I think he must have gotten the code off the sticker, but I could ask. Power steering is definitely not a big deal, just a bit of a hassle.
I was kind of thinking the same on the exhaust, the tail pipe sections are two pieces, is that normal for a Corsa? Looked like a pretty nice setup though, with the double wall chrome tips, and dual resonator set-up underneath. Only the center tips looked black and like they were functional, is that normal or a Corsa or OBX thing???
Pretty grungy underneath I know!!

Looking at the pic, and the fact they are smaller 255 tires on incorrect wheels that may be inset too far, am I correct in thinking that maybe the front is lowered already. If so, that is a plus for me as that is a big hassle in my opinion to do, and something I feel needs to happen to get the look I prefer!!!

Last edited by 1987fb; 03-23-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:59 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

That does look to be a corsa. Didn't realize it has body damage. Yeah, that price is too high. And the wheels, I doubt(pics aren't great) are from a 90 zr-1. Doesn't seem to have the deep lugs on the rears.

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 03-23-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:45 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

The damage is definitely a factor, but at least relatively inexpensive to fix. If it is in fact Corsa, that is definitely a bigger plus. The wheels are not ZR1, I would say probably off like an base 88 with the center caps missing. I'm guessing at this point I could probably get maybe another $500 off. All that being said, at the end of the day, I feel I would probably have into the car what it's worth. That isn't a bad thing I guess, as I would know what I have and probably have it the way I want it!!!
Old 03-23-2024, 07:10 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

That is a good way of looking at it. Good luck on your decision! And yes, prices are definitely higher now.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:13 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Thanks
Old 03-24-2024, 10:33 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 249 Likes on 172 Posts

to compare I have a 96, LT-4 convertible CE I bought from a fellow member one year ago, I paid 11,500, 56000k miles
my car was in very good overall condition, I flew to DC and drove it 800 miles straight home no issues, car was well maintained with newer tires, I did 2500 in paint corrections from a couple small earlier repairs.I would put my LT-4 CE
value at 15k at this point, the car your looking at will needs appx 4-5k to make it pretty nice, so you can do the math
coupes do bring less in general than the convertibles, but the LT-4s are one yrs only and do have more pop than base, I would say car your looking at is 8500 max
Old 03-24-2024, 11:06 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
.......Tge original Corsa exhaust was not labeled, so it could be one of the original systems. .......

I have an early Corsa system that does not have the tips labeled. The way the system works is that most of the flow goes through one tip. That tip is basically a straight pipe where the other tip goes through a chamber. So one tip discolors more than the other.

I also have a 1996 CE LT4 and love it.

See the picture below after a little over a 1000 mile trip (before and after cleaning).

The wheels look to be the 88-89 17" wheels. The base 88 were a 16" wheel that looks a little different. My base '88 is shown below.

Last edited by QCVette; 03-24-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:09 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
to compare I have a 96, LT-4 convertible CE I bought from a fellow member one year ago, I paid 11,500, 56000k miles
my car was in very good overall condition, I flew to DC and drove it 800 miles straight home no issues, car was well maintained with newer tires, I did 2500 in paint corrections from a couple small earlier repairs.I would put my LT-4 CE
value at 15k at this point, the car your looking at will needs appx 4-5k to make it pretty nice, so you can do the math
coupes do bring less in general than the convertibles, but the LT-4s are one yrs only and do have more pop than base, I would say car your looking at is 8500 max
Looks like you got a pretty solid deal!! I actually did the same thing as you about 7 years. I bought a 2001 supercharged convertible 6 spd off this forum, flew to North Carolina with a buddy, and drove it back with no issues. Was a great time. Back to the CE in question, I think your valuation is pretty accurate. However, I'd like to think with my abilities and connections, I could get it where it needs to be for more like 3-4K max. Not looking for a show car when it is done, just a nice looking solid driver. Plus the fact that it is local is a bonus, doing the fly and drive thing isn't really and option for me at this time. Thanks for the info and input.
Old 03-24-2024, 12:20 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QCVette

I have an early Corsa system that does not have the tips labeled. The way the system works is that most of the flow goes through one tip. That tip is basically a straight pipe where the other tip goes through a chamber. So one tip discolors more than the other.

I also have a 1996 CE LT4 and love it.

See the picture below after a little over a 1000 mile trip (before and after cleaning).

The wheels look to be the 88-89 17" wheels. The base 88 were a 16" wheel that looks a little different. My base '88 is shown below.
I definitely believe the system is a Corsa, especially after some other research and now your help. I have never actually owned one, ridden in a car with Corsa, or ever really heard one to any extent, but have always wanted the system as they get so much hype and good reviews. I could never justify paying the money they want though, especially since I seem to have a habit of selling cars too quickly once I get them dialed in!!! The car in question already having one installed is a pretty significant bonus in my opinion. And yes, I would say those are the 17" wheels of a 88-89. Thanks for the help and information..
Old 03-24-2024, 04:55 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

NEW DEVELOPMENT!!!. Another car relatively local to me has come to my attention. This one is also a '96 Collectors Edition LT4, Z51 with black interior. However, this one is a one owner car, 30,xxx miles, and looks pretty clean.
HERES THE CATCH.... it is built apparently. The ad is was lacking this info and basically described the car as stock motored, but some lettering on the car said 383 LT4. Has what appears to be Borla exhaust, headers, and factory ZR1 rims out back (which stick out too far IMO). It is a weird deal, as the ad represented the car as stock, but I saw the inconsistencies and questioned the seller. The seller is not the owner, it is his uncles. Apparently the motor is a 383ci, still stock appearing under the hood, aside from some kind of headers. He is in contact with his uncle about the details, I am waiting. I would say the value as a collector car is severely diminished. Normally, a stock car with these miles and one owner I would think could be upwards or north of 20K on a good day. That being said, with the low miles, and probably a ton of money spent on mods, this could be a great opportunity if you like a hot rod C4 and value a car built well, which I sure can. Oddly, in the pics I can see some minor damage on the rear of driver side quarter, same spot as other car, but not as bad. What are the odds?!?! Same question as before, any ideas/opinions on value??
Old 03-24-2024, 05:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

I wouldn't buy a "built" car without a LOT of documentation that nobody is gonna have. A built car might be a high dollar, well executed build by a master engine builder. It might be a rigged together pile of crap that won't run right or last. It might be a build that someone who was learning on the customers hourly wage did that turned out worse than a well thought out backyard build.

Without knowing it was done by like..... Lingenfelter or someone like that, I would price it like it needs a new motor, because it very well might.

Also, there's no reason to do a 383 on a LT4 unless you broke a rod. The LT4 is basically just a mild cam and the mildest of porting, so someone doing a big $ build is gonna replace the heads and cam anyways. So starting with an LT4 gets you nowhere.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:54 PM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 237 Posts

BTW, just to throw in my 2 cents here, repair and refinish cost on that rear quarter is more than $500-1000 worth of body and paint. I'd say your considerably north of that number, what with the work to repair and smooth both the quarter panel and rear fascia. In addition, Sebring Silver is a pretty particular paint match, so I'd want to ensure that whoever is doing the work is really good at it. IMO that's double the price you're thinking, closer to $2K in body and paint. Unless it's a buddy of yours doing the work at cost or something...
Old 03-24-2024, 06:25 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I wouldn't buy a "built" car without a LOT of documentation that nobody is gonna have. A built car might be a high dollar, well executed build by a master engine builder. It might be a rigged together pile of crap that won't run right or last. It might be a build that someone who was learning on the customers hourly wage did that turned out worse than a well thought out backyard build.

Without knowing it was done by like..... Lingenfelter or someone like that, I would price it like it needs a new motor, because it very well might.

Also, there's no reason to do a 383 on a LT4 unless you broke a rod. The LT4 is basically just a mild cam and the mildest of porting, so someone doing a big $ build is gonna replace the heads and cam anyways. So starting with an LT4 gets you nowhere.
I will agree pretty much with most of what you are saying. I actually bought a 383 built C4 a couple of years ago, built by TPIS, that motor lunched itself, I sold the car and shortly after the cam and lifter failed......I have no info on the details of this other car yet, however, it sounded like he had the work done shortly after he bought it new. So it has potentially lasted over 20 years and near 30,xxx miles. Seems pretty solid to me if that is the case. Also sounded like his uncle was gathering paperwork of folder or whatever with details etc. Why you would start with and desecrate a LT4 is a little weird to me, but who knows what people think or what the circumstances and details were, I am just waiting for more info and go from there. If I can get the car cheap enough, probably not too much risk.

Get notified of new replies

To Value of LT4 Collectors Edition (Looking at buying)

Old 03-24-2024, 06:29 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajp01
BTW, just to throw in my 2 cents here, repair and refinish cost on that rear quarter is more than $500-1000 worth of body and paint. I'd say your considerably north of that number, what with the work to repair and smooth both the quarter panel and rear fascia. In addition, Sebring Silver is a pretty particular paint match, so I'd want to ensure that whoever is doing the work is really good at it. IMO that's double the price you're thinking, closer to $2K in body and paint. Unless it's a buddy of yours doing the work at cost or something...
He is a friend, I have known him for over 20 years. He has a ton of body and paint experience. I have seen a lot of his work, repairs, and repaints etc, and he does awesome work. I sent him pics and we talked it over. He is adamite that he can do a really nice repair for a grand or less. He has quite a bit of experience with fiberglass work as well. I guess I won't for know until if or when he actually has the car.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:38 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 493 Posts

I tend to agree with others to be careful when looking at a modified engine. Too many of them were put together poorly or a mismatch of components. If he has a good list of modifications and it was done well, it could be an advantage over stock.

If it has Borla, it may be like the system on mine. I don't like the tips since they are rectangular cans on the back of the mufflers. I like the Corsa tips much better. However, it has a deeper tone than the Corsa and generally I prefer the deeper tone. Picture below.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:00 PM
1987fb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QCVette
I tend to agree with others to be careful when looking at a modified engine. Too many of them were put together poorly or a mismatch of components. If he has a good list of modifications and it was done well, it could be an advantage over stock.

If it has Borla, it may be like the system on mine. I don't like the tips since they are rectangular cans on the back of the mufflers. I like the Corsa tips much better. However, it has a deeper tone than the Corsa and generally I prefer the deeper tone. Picture below.
Doesn't sound like I will get much more info other then they claim it was bought new and work was done near new. Apparently this kid is selling it for his uncle, who got the car from his father, who now has dementia or is possibly deceased. Just having the name of the shop that did the work would be great. There have been more than a few in my area that are pretty reputable. Maybe more info will surface or they will find the folder they thought they had. He sent me some pics and a video of them driving it. Sounded good, and revved fast to what appeared to be around 7K. If it could be had cheap enough, runs, drives and seems solid, I guess it is just up to me if I feel the deal is good enough and I am willing to assume some risk. The exhaust I believe is maybe Borla S-type, has the more squarish vented tips. I am definitely not a fan of that tip.

Quick Reply: Value of LT4 Collectors Edition (Looking at buying)