C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stuck seat belt receiver 1995 red button

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 11:42 PM
TomH91
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Stuck seat belt receiver 1995 red button

The female end of my seat belt- the buckle, latch or receiver, is stuck “closed” and won’t accept the male end. I can peek down into the latch and it looks like it’s in the buckled position. Pressing the red release button has no effect.

I was thinking of trying a spray lubricant to loosen the mechanism. Anyone had this happen and been able to fix it?
Old 03-22-2024, 08:18 AM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TomH91
The female end of my seat belt- the buckle, latch or receiver, is stuck “closed” and won’t accept the male end. I can peek down into the latch and it looks like it’s in the buckled position. Pressing the red release button has no effect.

I was thinking of trying a spray lubricant to loosen the mechanism. Anyone had this happen and been able to fix it?
I have not had this happen (knock wood) but I think you are on the right track with spraying WD40 or PB blaster into it. It is either gummed up and stuck or internally broken. I would remove the female receptacle first to avoid the spray getting anywhere like on the carpet. If all fails, you can get a good condition used one on here, eBay, or one of the used C4 vendors like Mirrock or Dino’s. I would avoid using anything more harsh, even contact cleaner, because I’d be afraid of it harming the color of the plastic.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:59 PM
TomH91
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I was able to fix it with a flashlight and small flat screwdriver. There was just some built up lint, dust, etc in the release mechanism. I held the release button down and gently opened the mechanism with the screwdriver. There are a zillion vids on YouTube on this topic and most recommend a little spray lube but some say it isn’t needed. I’m glad I didn’t need it, I was a little worried about getting it on my clothing later. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
C4 Steck (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:36 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

Glad that worked out for you. And good info here in case it happens to anyone else.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck seat belt receiver 1995 red button

Quick Reply: Stuck seat belt receiver 1995 red button