Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Potentially buying a C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 02:42 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

As yak had mentioned, tires. Check the dates unless the seller provided receipt for recent tires. My 91 had tires with 2010 and 2014 dates when I bought it in early 2023. Most C4s I checked out had old tires, because most owners don't put that many miles on them. With Tire Rack/Discount Tire you have many to choose from ranging from about $600.00 for a set to well over a thousand.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 02:54 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 412 Posts

If you've got 275's all the way around there was a thread around here recently about very heavily discounted tires that size. I'd jump on it but my tires are new.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:07 PM
slammin
Pro

Originally Posted by ThomasR
If you've got 275's all the way around there was a thread around here recently about very heavily discounted tires that size. I'd jump on it but my tires are new.
Here's a link to that tire thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...75-40zr17.html
Old 03-17-2024, 06:29 PM
Ekays
Cruising

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yakmastermax
Amazing amazing, a two owners car, that is huge!

So many of these C4s end up in poor shape when they are handed off to one another by short-sighted individuals who are hopping from ride to ride year by year...

Anyway! You absolutely should drive it. These cars are meant to be driven, and contrary to what some think, they are not magical nest egg investments with the amazing ability to appreciate beyond what a simple ETF will do.... so drive the dang thing!

If I may
Some cheap and very quick things to upgrade/replace that will make a huge difference in how the car treats ya....

LED headlights. I bought an inexpensive $100 pair for my 1989... HUGE improvement over the factory halogens. Absolutely best bang for the buck modification for these cars in my opinion. Night and day difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CQ...b_b_asin_title

ZF6 Amsoil Synchromesh fluid in your awesome black tag ZF6 transmission! Find your local amsoil dealer and spend $60-$70 or so for 3 quarts of Amsoil Synchromesh gear oil fluid. At the high miles your car is at, it likely could use a gear oil change. The amsoil stuff really helps keep shifts smooth, and protects these expensive to fix transmissions. The ZF6 is an interesting beast. Very strong, excellent shifts and performance, but expensive to fix if it does break. Keep it from breaking by changing the fluid, and shifting it right!

Shocks! Most of these cars are up at the miles where they likely should be on their 2nd of not 3rd set of shocks. You can get a set of brand new non adjustable non-FX3 Bilstein shocks for $450 or so for all four corners. These cars don't ride the best as is, so old and worn shocks really do a number... new shocks will make a marked improvement in handling and feel. Your car though is an FX3 adjustable suspension car right? It has the little suspension setting dial **** on the center console next to the shift ****? That sorta complicates things, but not really... there is ample supply of brand new FX3 adjustable shocks, they are just a bit pricey at around $250 per corner.... that and often the FX3 actuator itself, a little electric motor that sits on top of the shock and spins the gear to adjust the suspension shock valving in real time depending on vehicle speed and shock setting, these actuators often break, but you can have them rebuilt for a pretty reasonable price, I think around $125-$150 per actuator. The FX3 system is pretty impressive for 1989.... I believe it was co-developed for Porsche or some other snazzy European sports car at the time... Anyway the fact that your car has that, plus the ZF6 manual... too cool!

Wheels and tires!
Good tires that perform and balance well and give a smooth ride are super important, and really do make a difference, especially on a sports car like a Corvette... Growing up my dad would always just throw the cheapest tires he could find on all of our cars... the past couple of years I learned the hard way, to the tune of $1250 wasted, that crap tires really ruin the driving experience. I got some Nittos that don't roll smooth worth a damn! So good quality tires should be a priority!

This one is a personal favorite that a lot of guys don't like, but at this point I swear by it. A quick release steering wheel. Yeah it is sorta ricer, but with a properly selected steering wheel you can keep things looking classy in the awesome 84-89 Atari star wars digital dash interior. If you go with a $150 steering wheel the whole setup is $350 and maybe an afternoon worth of work... but the ability to remove the steering wheel entirely makes getting in and out of the car so much easier in my opinion. I have quick release setups installed in both my 1989 and my 1985.

After that just your basics, fresh oil, fresh brake fluid and bleed, clean coolant etc.

Enjoy and congrats again!
I will look into all of those suggestions. I can get shocks pretty cheap because my job puts me on the inside with bilstein. Does it have to be amsoil? Is Castrol gear oil any good in comparison? I'm gonna change all the fluids soon so I'd like suggests.

Originally Posted by C4 Steck
Wow! You stole that thing! At least you’ll have a nice car when you get out of the clink LOL. $4500 was a great price for a really nice condition 2 owner car. 89 6 spd FX3 vert. What a combo. The 89 six speed is becoming pretty sought after. It’s the only year you could get the old body style with the new ZF6 trans. Follow what everyone else said. Best of luck with it.
Yep all my friends who I've taken for some... "spirited" drives have said it's the best 4500 ever spent. He gifted it to me too so no tax!

That was a great deal. Enjoy the car.
I am and will

Originally Posted by slammin
As yak had mentioned, tires. Check the dates unless the seller provided receipt for recent tires. My 91 had tires with 2010 and 2014 dates when I bought it in early 2023. Most C4s I checked out had old tires, because most owners don't put that many miles on them. With Tire Rack/Discount Tire you have many to choose from ranging from about $600.00 for a set to well over a thousand.
their from 2018 so they have some life left. Plenty of tread when I bought it. Less now

I do have 275s. I looked into that thread and the link took me to some tires that appeared to be sold out. Might be using the website wrong though

Originally Posted by slammin
I'd definitely jump on it but they appear sold out.

Questions
Fluid suggestions:
oil? We have roller cams in the L98s (right?) So is a high zinc oil necessary? What oil do you guys run?

Coolant? The standard green coolant at oriellys is what I use for my obs chevy (with the lt1). Would it be a good choice for the vette?

Gear oil. Amsoil has been suggested for the trans but any other brands? I can get Castrol gear oil at a cut rate price from my work.

^gear oil for the diff. Same question

Powers Steering fluid. Worth replacing?

Any other maintenance that you guys can think of i will probably be doing. I want this car to stay healthy.

One last thing, is this good a combo for bring out the best in the paint? Its got some swirls and scratches (pictured below)

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Ekays; 03-17-2024 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iceman2003 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 11:08 AM
Bubba Scorsone
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who dailies a C4, It's a fun car to drive, but getting in and out a lot can be a hassle. along with the MPG can be a big pain in the butt.
But it's a fanatic to drive and I get a lots of looks. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-20-2024, 11:48 AM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

1989 C4 has a hydraulic roller. I don't recall the exact changeover year, either 1987 or late 1986.
I don't believe a zinc additive is necessary.

For the ZF6 I highly suggest not pinching the $40-$50 saved with the Castrol, and going with the Amsoil Synchromesh. You absolutely want to keep that ZF6 shifting clean and smooth. A toasted ZF6 easily costs more to repair than the car is worth.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:26 PM
slammin
Pro

The roller lifters were introduced for the 87 model year.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:07 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Bubba Scorsone
As someone who dailies a C4, It's a fun car to drive, but getting in and out a lot can be a hassle. along with the MPG can be a big pain in the butt.
But it's a fanatic to drive and I get a lots of looks. Good luck with your search!
What's wrong with the MPG? We have 4 vehicles on the road and the C-4 drinks the least of the bunch. You should have been around in the old days when you had to baby a Corvette to reach double digits for mpg.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:08 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. You stole that thing for sure!!!!
Old 03-21-2024, 05:52 AM
Garack
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by yakmastermax
If I may
Some cheap and very quick things to upgrade/replace that will make a huge difference in how the car treats ya....

...This one is a personal favorite that a lot of guys don't like, but at this point I swear by it. A quick release steering wheel. Yeah it is sorta ricer, but with a properly selected steering wheel you can keep things looking classy in the awesome 84-89 Atari star wars digital dash interior. If you go with a $150 steering wheel the whole setup is $350 and maybe an afternoon worth of work... but the ability to remove the steering wheel entirely makes getting in and out of the car so much easier in my opinion. I have quick release setups installed in both my 1989 and my 1985.
wild

Quick Reply: Potentially buying a C4