C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 06:42 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help

So, I just got a 93 with LT1 on Sunday. Drove it home, no problems, parked it and went to bed. Got up next day tried to start, and it cranks but won’t turn over. The car has all kinds of new parts from what I was told and you can see the parts are all in new looking condition under the hood. Water pump, opti, ICM and coil, fuel pump and tank, fan motors. I bought a new ignition coil and ICM just in case and plugged them up and still nothing. Security light is not flashing either. Fuel pump sounds like it’s kicking on as well. I don’t think it’s getting spark.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:55 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 620 Likes on 498 Posts

Not to be captain obvious. But check for spark. If you have spark, check fuel pressure.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:30 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Do you have any details on what brand opti or ICM was used? There have been lots of reported issues with bad new parts, including the aforementioned and fuel related parts such as pumps and sending units. So, since it’s easy enough, check for spark first by grounding out a plug and have someone crank. If there is spark, it does not necessarily mean it’s good spark or the timing is right. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge at the rail. If you don’t get up to proper pressure by bumping the key to on, or if you get pressure but it immediately trails off after the initial fuel pump cycle, you will know you’re leaking down somewhere (pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator). Another quick thing you can do after you check for spark, is to pull the vacuum hose from the FPR and see if it’s wet with gas in there. It should be dry. From there, you need to start isolating ignition components and testing them. By chance did the PO give you multiple sets of ignition keys? If you used a different one, try the one that you drove home with. They have specific frequencies. It’s likely an issue with the installation of all those new parts or a defective new part. Given what all was just replaced, it sounds like they may have had a sitting and/or non running car and got it fired up prior to selling. The best thing you can do is buy the factory service manuals for your year. They are the key to diagnostics with these cars.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:59 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C4 Steck
Do you have any details on what brand opti or ICM was used? There have been lots of reported issues with bad new parts, including the aforementioned and fuel related parts such as pumps and sending units. So, since it’s easy enough, check for spark first by grounding out a plug and have someone crank. If there is spark, it does not necessarily mean it’s good spark or the timing is right. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge at the rail. If you don’t get up to proper pressure by bumping the key to on, or if you get pressure but it immediately trails off after the initial fuel pump cycle, you will know you’re leaking down somewhere (pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator). Another quick thing you can do after you check for spark, is to pull the vacuum hose from the FPR and see if it’s wet with gas in there. It should be dry. From there, you need to start isolating ignition components and testing them. By chance did the PO give you multiple sets of ignition keys? If you used a different one, try the one that you drove home with. They have specific frequencies. It’s likely an issue with the installation of all those new parts or a defective new part. Given what all was just replaced, it sounds like they may have had a sitting and/or non running car and got it fired up prior to selling. The best thing you can do is buy the factory service manuals for your year. They are the key to diagnostics with these cars.
got 2 sets of keys, tried to start with both. PO claimed he drove the car daily, and also said the opti was from Orielly. I’ve seen mixed reviews all over the place about what brand opti to get. Not sure about brand of ICM or ignition coil in the car now, but I bought another one of each and hooked it up and nothing. As far as spark, looking back I’m stupid and didn’t test it correctly. Can’t I just put a spark plug on the end of the wire and try to crank and see if the spark jump? I’ll try to run to the orange or green store in the morning for a fuel pressure gauge. Everything about this just bothers me. I had no issues driving it home, and I looked at the car 3 times the day I bought it and it started up every time.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:39 PM
ULTM8Z
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Can’t I just put a spark plug on the end of the wire and try to crank and see if the spark jump?

You can. Just make sure to ground the metal body of the plug to something on the engine.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:17 AM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

I also had some codes I cleared out from my dash. From my understanding those codes were stored codes that were never cleared from previous repairs because they started with the letter H. Those codes would pop back up with the letter C in front of them if they were still an issue, correct?
Old 03-14-2024, 01:51 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Not to be captain obvious. But check for spark. If you have spark, check fuel pressure.
Ok so I tested spark and fuel with a test light. I got power to the injectors but no pulse. I also got no spark at the spark plugs. I rechecked codes after I cleared them yesterday and now I have code 25 for air intake sensor. Would this be cause a no start issue?

Last edited by PennyUnwize; 03-14-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:06 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Possibly but I don’t think so. As far as fuel pressure you need to check it with a gauge that plumbs in at the fuel rail.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:34 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C4 Steck
Possibly but I don’t think so. As far as fuel pressure you need to check it with a gauge that plumbs in at the fuel rail.
Looks like my opti is shot. I got no injector pulse, and with what little battery life was left I could see a little spark from the injector coil to my test light.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:41 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 620 Likes on 498 Posts

Correct. No injector pulse=bad optical sensor. Meaning, the sensor inside of the opti.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:24 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by IHBD
Charge the battery, so you can continue with diagnostics.
Code 25 will not cause a no-start.

H-codes are VERY important. Many codes can only be "Current" when the engine is running. If a diagnostic routine that requires the engine to be running sets, it will show as a History when the engine is not running. Some important H codes in Module 4 are: H16 (Opti low res. Smoking-gun bad opti code) H36 (Opti Hi Res. Can't cause a no-start) H41 (Ignition control Module).

If you remember, what were the codes you cleared? Include the Module number, if you know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Here's a simple check for Reference Pulses. You need to be able to hear the fuel pump run, so a quiet environment or a helper listening to the tank filler with the cap removed.
  • Turn key to RUN. Fuel pump will run for 2 seconds and stop. Leave key in RUN.
  • Wait about 5-10 seconds. Crank the engine briefly. Just enough to turn the crank 1/4 turn or so.
  • Listen for fuel pump to be running, and stop after 2 seconds.
If = YES, the ECM received Reference Pulses. (It is not the opti and probably not the ECM. Further testing required.).
If = NO, Check for H16 as outlined above.
Previous codes that were there before I cleared them were at initial start up was 25, then module 1 were 32,34,36,38, and I believe module 4 had 23. Previous owner changed opti, water pump, ignition coil and ICM. I just chalked those codes up to not having been cleared out because they all had letter H. Also the DIC doesn’t really work all that well, you have to really mess with the buttons to change and clear codes.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,820 Posts

What do you mean cranks but won't turn over? Turning over is cranking. Is the starter motor spinning the motor or not?
Old 03-14-2024, 09:38 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FAUEE
What do you mean cranks but won't turn over? Turning over is cranking. Is the starter motor spinning the motor or not?
Sorry, it spins but won’t turn over/crank
Old 03-14-2024, 09:53 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Prev owner on my current project put an Auto Zone Opti in. It was still clean as new when it failed. Just because it is new/replaced does not guarantee it is good.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:08 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
Prev owner on my current project put an Auto Zone Opti in. It was still clean as new when it failed. Just because it is new/replaced does not guarantee it is good.
Yea that’s what I’m thinking. Unfortunately I’m gonna have to get one from either the orange store or the green store. Looks like Petris is sold out and there’s no way I can afford an MSD one right now.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:35 PM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

All those H3x codes in Module 1 can be set by low battery / system voltage.

Run my test for "Reference Pulses". It tells a lot about several things. If the fuel pump runs after cranking breifly, the ECM recognized reference pulses.

Another pretty simple check: Watch the tachometer while cranking. If it just sits on zero, there won't be spark. ICM or ECM. There could still be Reference Pulses, however.

I would wait for a Petris. There is no substitute, IMO.
I’ll double check when I get home in the morning. I was sure I had good voltage from battery, but now that I’m doing some reading 18 volts is apparently high for a battery. I had my neighbor listen for my pump and he said it turned on, but I’ll double check the length of time it’s on. I know my tach didn’t move a millimeter when I tried to crank it either. Also if I’m understanding correctly, I can’t get a code 16 unless I can get the car to turn over, correct?

Last edited by PennyUnwize; 03-14-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:17 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Petris is worth the wait. that is route I went. One day of work and three days cleaning.

Originally Posted by PennyUnwize
Yea that’s what I’m thinking. Unfortunately I’m gonna have to get one from either the orange store or the green store. Looks like Petris is sold out and there’s no way I can afford an MSD one right now.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help

Old 03-15-2024, 01:31 AM
PennyUnwize
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=IHBD;1607621787]
Originally Posted by PennyUnwize
I was sure I had good voltage from battery, but now that I’m doing some reading 18 volts is apparently high for a battery.
18 Volts is high. I doubt you saw 18 V, if you did, check your meter. The 3x series codes in module 1 WERE history codes. They could have been fairly old, from a previous LOW voltage episode.

I had my neighbor listen for my pump and he said it turned on, but I’ll double check the length of time it’s on.
What you're checking for is that it runs again after a short crank. The actual time it runs doesn't mean anything. You wait for it to stop. A brief crank. Listen for it to be running a second time, then stops.

I know my tach didn’t move a millimeter when I tried to crank it either.
The tach gets it signal from the ICM. So no tach, no Primary ignition.

Also if I’m understanding correctly, I can’t get a code 16 unless I can get the car to turn over, correct?
If the engine cranks, and the low-res pulses are missing, it should set an H16 at cranking speed. (Lo-res pulses are what makes it run.) When my 92's opti shot craps, it quit and never ran again. I had an H16, no tach movement, and no fuel pump the second time after the 'brief crank'. Classic no reference pulses. I cleared the H16, cranked it for 5 seconds, the H16 came back. I replaced the 1992-dated Opti with a Petris.

"Turn over" is what it does with the key in START. "Starts, then Runs" Is what it is supposed to do / does after you release the key from START.
I’ll take the battery to get a recharge in the morning.
2 things I know for a fact, I get no tach jump when I try to start, and I do not have a code 16. The sys light was also blinking when I drove it home and the service engine soon light comes on when I try to start.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:19 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

All those H3x codes in Module 1 can be set by low battery / system voltage.

Run my test for "Reference Pulses". It tells a lot about several things. If the fuel pump runs after cranking breifly, the ECM recognized reference pulses.

Another pretty simple check: Watch the tachometer while cranking. If it just sits on zero, there won't be spark. ICM or ECM. There could still be Reference Pulses, however.

I would wait for a Petris. There is no substitute, IMO.
Agreed. The parts store optis are extremely hit or miss, mostly a miss. The optical sensors are junk and the cap/rotor are not great. Unless it’s a Petris whole unit, make sure you check that the rotor screws have been thread locked with loctite. Half of failed new optis are from the rotor coming loose. If Petris is out of stock, how about the multiple vendors that carry their product???

Another thing you need to consider, if the opti winds up being the problem, is if anything leaked on it or into it. The new opti might have been fine but the new water pump could have leaked or they didn’t replace the timing cover seals. If the seals are leaking, you are going to draw oil right inside the opti. If your diagnostics lead you to a failed opti make sure it isn’t because of that. It will be evident once you take the cap off. If you wind up replacing the opti, now is a good time to do those seals and convert to a vented opti like the 95-96 cars had. All available with Petris. This is a job you want to avoid redoing for a long time. And it would suck to put in what’s available now and do the job again a month later.

Even the Delco water pumps are Chinese now. About the only mechanical water pump I would put on nowadays is a flokooler. Made in USA, high flow, heavy duty, tight tolerances, billet aluminum turbine, no blow by, and no cavitation for $179. I’m torn between that an electric for my car.

Last edited by C4 Steck; 03-15-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:20 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,820 Posts

The number 1 water ingress point is the wiring harness. It isn't sealed, and so water will migrate right now the harness, past the pins, directly into the optical sensor.

If it was being prepped for sale, it wouldn't be surprising to hear that they cleaned the engine bay, and some water or cleaner got on the harness and killed the opti. Lots of people think covering the opti helps. It doesn't, the outside shell of the opti has a seal to prevent water getting in. The wiring harness is a direct pathway for water to get in.

Quick Reply: Please help