Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So I'm putting in a new stereo system.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 02:18 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Default So I'm putting in a new stereo system.....

So I have all my parts and I'm getting started. I have a small 4 channel amp to run the 4 speakers and I want to put it under the passenger seat. Also going to use an 8" low profile powered subwoofer. The question I have, and it may be silly, but since this car is fiberglass can I just screw these things to the floor or is there another way I should be mounting them? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2024, 07:06 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 475 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo Vert
So I have all my parts and I'm getting started. I have a small 4 channel amp to run the 4 speakers and I want to put it under the passenger seat. Also going to use an 8" low profile powered subwoofer. The question I have, and it may be silly, but since this car is fiberglass can I just screw these things to the floor or is there another way I should be mounting them? Thanks!
Are you asking if you can screw the amp into the floor under the seat? Or do you want to screw the sub box down? I wouldn't screw the amp down if that's what your asking. The best way to do it (my opinion) is to cut a piece of scrap sheet metal to the same footprint as the amp. Weld four small threaded studs to the plate so your amp will fit down on it. Then lift up your carpet and put that plate where you want the amp mounted. Then just poke four small holes in your carpet so the studs poke through. Then I would use fiberglass resin or even epoxy to glue the plate to the floor board. Then just use those studs that are now poking through the carpet to bolt your amp in place. It sounds elaborate. But that way your amp can't move around and your not drilling holes in your floor. The plate doesn't need to be fancy. No one is ever going to see it.

As for the sub box this is a lot easier. When I build a sub box I wrap them in automotive carpet. That kind of carpet sticks to Velcro fairly well. A couple pieces of well placed Velcro will hold your box in place. This isn't my favorite option but it works. I built my box for two 8" subs. That way the box is the entire width of the rear storage area. It wedges in so tight that it can't go anywhere. In fact lifting it up out requires a couple people to do.

If you're still in the planning stages of your system consider 6 speakers in addition to your sub. I have two 4x6's in the dash pad, 6x9's in the rear and 6 1/2's in the doors. I have a small A/B class Alpine run the door speakers, a class D monoblock running the two 8" subs and the head unit runs the 4x6's and the 6x9's. Both amps are mounted under the seat. Having the 6 speakers in the car really helps with clarity when the roof is off the car.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:36 AM
glbeauchamp
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 212 Posts

I bought a 94 that had a replacement radio. It was throwing a code which turned out to be because the radio was replaced I think. There was a way to fix it but sounded fairly complicated so I decided to just put up with the sys flashing. You may find the same thing happening
Old 02-18-2024, 06:39 PM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

I wouldn't screw directly into the fiberglass.
It is rather thin in most places. Try to make use of the factory brackets and mounting tabs (rear) or existing holes (front doors 84-89).

I run a 6 speaker setup like Phobos and like it. 4x6" in the dash using factory speaker bracket plates modified. In the doors 6.5" round speakers using the MJM door speaker brackets linked here, and 6x9" subs in the rear using the factory metal tab brackets.

The amp is screwed to a piece of MDF that I cut to shape and WEDGED into the driver rear stage compartment above the ABS unit.

There are several good comprehensive audio install write up on the forum, check em out!
Old 02-18-2024, 09:18 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Today I got the seats and carpet pulled out. I went slow so I wouldn't break anything. So far, so good. Front and rear speakers are changed out and it looks like the PO had the Metra bypass harness put in to run an aftermarket head unit in conjunction with the factory Bose speakers. I pulled the tuner out from behind the seat so now all the Bose equipment is out of the car. Look for it in the for sale section soon. Tomorrow I'm pulling the old head unit and installing the new double din. Do I need to pull the console to feed the RCA cables to the back of the new radio? I would also like to do away with this Metra bypass harness. All I really need to wire in is hot and switched power to the radio, remote wire for the amp, and ground. Speaker and sub output will all be RCA cables. Also, where is the best place to fish power wires through the firewall? My amp is small and only calls for a 12 gauge wire and same for the sub. Sub and amp are laying loose in the back for now. Still not 100% sure on little amp placement.

Last edited by Polo Vert; 02-18-2024 at 10:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Polo Vert:
SirReal63 (02-20-2024), yakmastermax (02-19-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To So I'm putting in a new stereo system.....

Quick Reply: So I'm putting in a new stereo system.....