C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bringing a C4 back to life

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 04:54 PM
TSheff
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Bringing a C4 back to life

I posted in another thread about how hard plug access is and got some great feedback. Still haven't tackled #8, I have to give my system time to produce more blood. Thank you guys, that's why I'm here.
Starting this thread to show progress and issues.
#1 I cleaned all the acorns and rat or squirrell crap from the engine compartment.

#2 Fogged all cylinder I could access, let sit, turned the engine over a few bumps, then replace all plugs but #8.
#3Changed the air filter while I was in there.
#4 Today I pulled the fuel pump-sending unit assembly, drained the tank of some of the nastiest stuff I've seen and reached in to clean as much as I could.
Filler neck was badly corroded, as well as tubing on the pump, gas cap was broken, and only the top ring was sitting on the neck. Go figure. Waiting on parts.

Next post will be after parts are replaced (sending assembly, pump, strainer, cap, and fuel filter), new fuel, and test to see if it fires ( it will respond on starter fluid).

I'm open to any further suggestions. Just want to get it fired up, then test movement, before testing further, replacing tires, and various trim pieces.
#5 Will probably flush the brake lines and inspect tomorrow, just to have something to do while waiting. Cheap enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSheff:
RPO Joe (02-13-2024), solar88 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 05:36 PM
weeles
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

I know what this one feels like. Had to do the same thing on my 86.

I think in your other post you might have said how long this C4 was parked for, If its been a while , I would suggest changing out your brake flex hoses before bleeding them.
The following 2 users liked this post by weeles:
solar88 (02-15-2024), TSheff (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 05:42 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts

Like my project 91, I'm sure your getting into more than you anticipated. My C4 wasn't a victim of neglect, but of Bubba's handiwork! A C4 that has spent years outside usually has a gas tank with rust. Problem is if the gas cap doesn't seal and the drain hole is plugged the rain water winds up in the tank. I looked at a 94 with a plugged drain. The owner didn't know there was a drain! Good luck with your rescue. Be sure to keep the forum posted.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:31 PM
TSheff
Advanced

Originally Posted by slammin
Like my project 91, I'm sure your getting into more than you anticipated. My C4 wasn't a victim of neglect, but of Bubba's handiwork! A C4 that has spent years outside usually has a gas tank with rust. Problem is if the gas cap doesn't seal and the drain hole is plugged the rain water winds up in the tank. I looked at a 94 with a plugged drain. The owner didn't know there was a drain! Good luck with your rescue. Be sure to keep the forum posted.
The drain was not plugged but the whole thing was sitting higher than it should have been, almost flush with the neck opening and probably let water in.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:47 PM
TSheff
Advanced

#5 Today instead of bleeding brakes I cleaned the seats and some carpet stains, then I decided to change the fuel filter. (No Biggie)
I'll assume most of you C4 guys know what is involves in changing the filter, the most important part is one of the proper jacking point. Evidently the previous owner had changed the filter, after he couldn't start it, as the one I removed looked very new.
It is also obvious he was not aware that just because it says Jacking Location, that doesn't mean slide your floor jack under and start pumping. Glad I looked around while I was underneath.

#6 So tomorrow before the game I'll be doing unexpected glass repairs. I've already straightened the metal plate and properly aligned the panel to it's original location. Always something.
The following users liked this post:
RPO Joe (02-13-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 02:52 PM
TSheff
Advanced

#6 Repaired the floor on the inside and it's in the final cure now. Later I will clean, buff, and do a patch and coat on the underside.
weeles (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 08:43 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 571 Posts

While you have both lines disconnected at the tank maybe take them loose at the engine and blow out the lines. I bet there is crap in them. Dan
C4 Steck (02-20-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:25 PM
TSheff
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whaleman
While you have both lines disconnected at the tank maybe take them loose at the engine and blow out the lines. I bet there is crap in them. Dan
Done.
#7 Got the new sending unit and fuel pump installed, as well as 5 gallons of fresh gas. Key on, pump working, it is alive while running rough. Good oil pressure and voltage shows 14+ so if that is correct the charging system is OK.
Showed low coolant (I was afraid of the next step, as I've been doing research, Added some coolant and it immediately started draining from the location of the water pump and began running worse, so I shut it down.
Looks like #7 will be replacing the Optispark and water pump. That's why it's a project and surely why it was parked.

Last edited by TSheff; 03-21-2024 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelli
Old 02-12-2024, 06:19 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 571 Posts

Do a search here on new opti's. Lots of junk out there. Post a picture of the one you pull out so we can see if it is original. Don't throw it away. You may be able to rebuild your old one. If not Petris seems to be the way to go. Dan
Old 02-12-2024, 11:20 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by TSheff
That's why it's a project and surely why it was parked.
Don't let it bum you out. Every item you do makes it a little bit better. It will take time and effort, cash and blood, but there's a lot of satisfaction in bringing a POS back to life instead of parting it out.
jazfe (02-29-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 12:03 AM
TSheff
Advanced

I posted a thread with a question and haven't seen any reply. Since I know the water pump is bad and has damaged the Optispark, is there any harm in pressure washing, to knock off a few layer of crud, before I replace the pump and opti?
Going out of town for a couple of days, but the parts will be waiting for me when I get home.
2/14/2024 will be my first wife's Wedding Anniversary. So the Vette will haave to wait a couple of days.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:47 AM
weeles
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

I posted a thread with a question and haven't seen any reply. Since I know the water pump is bad and has damaged the Optispark, is there any harm in pressure washing, to knock off a few layer of crud, before I replace the pump and opti?
Going out of town for a couple of days, but the parts will be waiting for me when I get home.
2/14/2024 will be my first wife's Wedding Anniversary. So the Vette will haave to wait a couple of days.
There could still be items that could get damaged IMO, so you pretty much flip a coin.
I did do a minor power wash on my L98 but I also know bubba hasn't been present on my car. I didn't get any problems though

Last edited by weeles; 02-13-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:12 PM
TSheff
Advanced

#7 is in progress. While replacing the Opti spark is doable, I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't have lots of patience, tools, and in my case, kevlar sleeves. Very cramped to work and getting the water pump out required lots of trial and error as to how is has to come out. Between weather and level of difficulty what I could do in a day or two will now be more like 4 days.

Bonus; While I was moving the alternator, the connector crumbled in my hand and I found 2 wires just coming out of a harness. Turns out the wires were a non existant connector to the temperature sensor on the water pump. Looks like I'll be doing 2 pigtail/connectors I had not planned on.
Again that's why it's a true project. Glad I hadn't planned to drive it any time soon.

Last edited by TSheff; 03-21-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Bonus; While I was moving the alternator, the connector crumbled in my hand and I found 2 wires just coming out of a harness. Turns out the wires were a non existant connector to the temperature sensor on the water pump. Looks like I'll be doing 2 pigtail/connectors I had not planned on.
Again that's why it's a true project. Glad I hadn't planned to drive it any time soon.
Well that saved you a headache at some time in the future. You're another step closer to driving it.

TSheff (02-15-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:39 PM
TSheff
Advanced

#7 Complete. New Opti installed, new water pump and thermostat, cleaned all pulleys, new temp sending unit and pigtail connector, as well as flushing the radiator (prior to Opti install). Waiting on radiator hoses, serpentine belt, and alternator connection, before I attempt to fire it up.
If all goes well, I'll move on to #8 a set of new tires.

Then #9 as the complete weatherstripping kit arrived yesterday.

Last edited by TSheff; 03-21-2024 at 01:12 PM.
weeles (02-19-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 06:20 PM
TSheff
Advanced

Well I got it fired up. Ran rough, so I did some old school troubleshooting. #4 cylinder made no difference when the plug wire was removed, but tested with grounded plug and there is spark. Thinking it is a clogged injector based on the time it sat and the amount of crud I cleaned from the gas tank. Tomorrow, if time allows, I'll pull the fuel rails and clean the #4 injector. I also had an unexplained alarm (low volume medium pitch tone) I couldn't stop. Just when I was going to pull the power, it stopped. Wife said " you wanted a project, you got one ". Fortunately these are things I anticipated.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:27 PM
TSheff
Advanced

Another mystery solved. #4 cylider had spark and the injector resistance, as well as the pigtail voltage checked out. Could still have been clogged.
As easy as it is to remove the valve cover, I went ahead and did a visual inspection. What do you know, previous owner had a custom push rod. I'll bet he didn't have a clue. Other than going to buy one, that took a whole 15 minutes. Running smooth now.

Last edited by TSheff; 03-21-2024 at 01:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing a C4 back to life

Old 02-21-2024, 07:38 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

That's quite the custom pushrod! Wonder if anything else is amiss from that episode.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:14 PM
TSheff
Advanced

After replacing and adjusting the new pushrod, I let it idle for 15 minutes, then slowly increased the rpms and then revved several times. No additional noise or issues at this time. Will do an oil change in the next few days. Have new injectors coming, but.no rush. Now that it runs, I'll focus on the brakes.
weeles (02-22-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 10:00 AM
TSheff
Advanced

Well started on the brakes, new hoses and pads. I bled the entire system only to find it still soft. New master cylinder on the way. Thought I would come out lucky with the radiator and a little stop leak, no bueno. Have a new aluminum direct fit on the way.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSheff:
CorvetteRules (02-27-2024), weeles (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Bringing a C4 back to life