finally back in glass got my new to me 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
I really do appreciate you sticking with me and Ive seen you post for years and know you have knowlege on these. Right now Im thinking theres a reason they took all the connectors off the alternator. Electrical issue, intermittent no crank (security light on info center was staying on) and the surging idle are the big issues
I have had my share of frustration, and certainly don't claim to be an expert especially on electrical. One thing that is repeatedly stressed in cases like this is the need to diagnose, trace and figure out what the bleep is wrong instead of just buying various things and hoping you hit it right. SO here's another suggestion. Since the alternator is half disconnected now, take it right off, and let FLAPS load test it. It's free, it's quick, and you will know whether or not that's part of your problem.

I will offer you some encouragement by saying look at each thing you fix as being one step closer to a good, reliable car. Done right, you seldom will have to deal with the same problem twice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Railroadman:
ToniJ1960 (01-29-2024), weeles (01-30-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 11:55 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I just remembered I have an a;ternator off my old 84 cf will it work on the 89
Old 01-30-2024, 09:30 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
I just remembered I have an a;ternator off my old 84 cf will it work on the 89
Geez, now you are introducing another variable into the problem. Does the second alternator work? Sure it used to. But why monkey around? Unless you live on a ranch in the desert or a shack on Mount St Helens, there's GOT to be a place near you. Autozone, O'Rielly's, NAPA, Advance Auto, probably a dozen others to choose from. Take the one that is on the car now, walk in the door and in about 10 minutes you will have an answer - does it work, yes or no, that's an absolute. We, collectively, can help you, but you have to do the basics and the leg work to give us facts and information to make rational suggestions.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:22 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Geez, now you are introducing another variable into the problem. Does the second alternator work? Sure it used to. But why monkey around? Unless you live on a ranch in the desert or a shack on Mount St Helens, there's GOT to be a place near you. Autozone, O'Rielly's, NAPA, Advance Auto, probably a dozen others to choose from. Take the one that is on the car now, walk in the door and in about 10 minutes you will have an answer - does it work, yes or no, that's an absolute. We, collectively, can help you, but you have to do the basics and the leg work to give us facts and information to make rational suggestions.
Will you calm down look it was a simple question will it fit and operate correctly. As far as I can tell ithe 84 one doesnt have the same connector but Im going to dig out of the basement and eyeball it. Yes it was working when removed it turned out at that time the pulley was just loose but I had the new one put in anyway. I have done some work on cars but Im no pro and only experience mostly on my Pinto that I owned since 86.

Yes there are places that can test it once I learn how to remove it and take the bus to go get it tested then order a new one if needed. Right now all I have is two broken down cars Im 63 and noone to help my sister wont even give me a ride to the store or the laundromat dryer broke down too. Hate if you want it was just a simple question, if I can take it out to get tested and the 84 one would work in it why wouldnt I just stick it in jump the car and go from there I apologize if the propostion disturbed you.

Take a breatyh relax maybe let someone answer a question like wlll an alternator for an 84 work in an 89. Geeeze Louise
Old 01-30-2024, 05:49 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

You come on here moaning about buying something sight unseen from a broker or something, and wanting to pull the battery. I gave you some simple easy tests to walk you through whether you NEED a battery or not. You apparently didn't walk all the way through that. Now you don't know if you NEED an alternator or not. I gave you a simple, free way to find out if the alternator is working or not and you're wanting to put in a different one which may or may not work. If you can't even use the internet to look up whether the two are interchangeable, you're going to have a lot of problems going forward.

Bad enough to make suggestions that are ignored, I don't need a ration of crap about it. I wish you luck with the project but I'm out.

Last edited by Railroadman; 01-30-2024 at 06:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Railroadman:
'78CorvetteS.A. (01-31-2024), C4 Steck (02-03-2024), WVZR-1 (01-30-2024)

Quick Reply: finally back in glass got my new to me 3rd