Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I always smell of exhaust after driving….

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 08:29 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I always smell of exhaust after driving….

Logically I feel this means I have an exhaust leak, but I have taken off my pipes and sealed them with tape then put a reverse shop vac to them and found no leaks, then did that with the whole system on and taped up the TB and can’t find any leaks. The car has no cats on it and is a 383 stroker miniram so always runs rich.

but even if there was a leak, I wouldn’t think that would make it into the cabin so easily. Anyone have any experience with this or solving something like this?

(my truck blew a head gasket so now it’s my daily driver lol. Not a good look showing up to work with a thick smell of exhaust….)
Old 12-09-2023, 08:42 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is it a targa or convertible? I assume side glass is up this time of year?
Old 12-09-2023, 03:38 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Bad weather stripping around the rear hatch, or some other reason the hatch isn't sealing and letting exhaust in?
Old 12-09-2023, 03:41 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

Lots of places on a car body for exhaust to creep in.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:21 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

There are some body shops that can check for cabin seal and detect leaks. Maybe call around and see what you can find. Obviously if it leaks out, it could leak in. As said before, probably from the rear.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,819 Posts

You have a 383 stroker without cats. Yeah, you're gonna smell like exhaust if you drive it. These cars aren't airtight to begin with, and you're gonna be putting off a lot of exhaust with that setup. There's gonna be a cloud of exhaust around the car after you shut it off, and that's to say nothing of the multiple vents to allow you to open and close doors.

Buy some axe body spray if it bothers you.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:11 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Targa so yes, windows are up.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:06 AM
Mixednuttz
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 193 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Having no cats is the cause of the smell. You could install bullet style cats to knock the smell down.
The following users liked this post:
car addict (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 02:53 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

For some reason my 1993, with hotcam and no cats always stunk. This was with heated bosch o2 sensors .

thinga got better when
1. I supercharged it, putting modern 60 lb/hr injectors in
, and msd 6 box (i dont think the supercharger was what fixed the smell, but the other supporting mods helped it out

this improves things, but…

2. in 2017 i redid the soldered extension wiring for my o2 sensors and used posi-lock barrel crimps (unsoldered) to an ACTUAL ac delco O2 sensor wiring harness vs. just hacking off the end of the o2 sensor harness and soldering it to the generic extension wires

then, i found some old school (dis-cont’d) heated ac delco o2 sensors and used them vs. bosch o2 sensors

and the smell that sticks on my clothes was gone (and im now at a bigger 224/236 cam)

no longer does my wife say ‘oh you were driving the corvette today’, when she sees me

(If you do a search of my forum posts you will see posta about the smell around 2003 - 2009 time frame

it really made the car unejoyable to drive. Im happy i figured it out.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:28 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

That’s interesting that just changing the o2 sensors made a difference? I guess just a better tune? I’m thinking about figuring out how to pressurize the cabin with the reverse shop vac. Maybe open the firewall where the wiring harness is then just feel around the outside of the car for big leaks. Maybe hot box the inside with a fog machine.

i was also just thinking that I remembered seeing the interior shift boot (rubber under the actual leather boot) was in bad shape when I was under there. Thought, who cares about it being in bad shape? Well this might be the reason.

thanks for the ideas guys I’ll get to work a bit. But might just have to accept it in the meantime. I’ll start with new weather stripping, shift boot, and sealing up best I can at the firewall.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:27 AM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My 88 is a CARB 383 stroker. no cats. I have the hatch vent installed, no side glass yet, and targa always off. Engine still on the rich side and the only time i smell it is if i come to a quick stop at a light. Other than that i dont notice it. But i also sound deadened the entire interior.

But like mentioned above, plenty of places for the smell to get in. Plus i agree with maybe your engine is too rich. Maybe start with a general tun up and see how she goes.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:45 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 168 Posts

I had some exhaust in car odors that were creeping in from a bad rubber seal around the ZF6 shifter where it mates up/presses into the hole in fiberglass where it comes into the car. I would only notice it when I would start the car and if idled for a moment before leaving the garage. It was the perfect storm of a small space without good airflow for exhaust to travel under the car and right up the tunnel. That upper seal is still reproduced in the aftermarket (or at least was when I replaced it several or more years ago). The lower boot you are on your own.

Get notified of new replies

To I always smell of exhaust after driving….

Quick Reply: I always smell of exhaust after driving….