Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under cad

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 02:46 AM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under car

I just purchased my 1987 C4, when driving home we knew that it needs new oil ASAP, it’s brown it sat and the oil hasn’t been changed for a year he drove it every now and then lucky it isn’t black or chunky but it is dark brown maybe a hint of black.

the Dip stick is lodged and stuck but I don’t think it’s gone into the engine which is great maybe I should buy a borescope and look at it.

the squealing noise got louder and worse when I finally arrive home. It’s under the car on the passenger side more towards the middle front, I would not say directly under the engine but it very well could be. But I need help I hope to god it’s not anything terrible.

there is a rattling sound by the engine and we did find a little metal almost dog tag looking thing hanging off so that could be it but I’m not starting the car at 1 Am to see I’ll update in the morning, but if not it could be a million things, loose bay and it’s just clicking against more metal or it’s something inside the engine I hope to god not!

the safety system is SO annoying, I have to turn it twice wait for beeps and lights to settle and then I turn it on but I can’t do it when it’s beeping otherwise I have to disconnect the battery and push the alarm button on it. Then start it again. Any fixes for this? I don’t want to deal with that **** everyday LOL.

anyways, I can’t think of anything else, except the white and hint of blue in the smoke that comes out when starting the car, although we added a good amount of coolant to the car so I think that should help.

I am thinking the rattling could be Little Rock’s in the catalytic converter but it could be a million things lol that’s from a noobs perspective.

thanks all.

Last edited by SMM_DREW; 08-07-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:55 AM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 302 Posts

Hey Drew and welcome!

Lots to unpack here.

Can you post a video of the engine running with the sound?

How many miles on the car?

Can you take pics of the engine bay and post?

When you say oil is brown…do you mean like a milky brown color? That would mean water (coolant) in the oil…take a pic and post of this too.

Also that sounds like an aftermarket alarm that you can and probably should just remove

Also, you are 16, be careful posting your number online. Folks can DM you once you are here a bit via the forum.
The following users liked this post:
SMM_DREW (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 11:28 AM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Yes I can do that later today, I don't want to mess with it early in the morning. It's also raining out so I don't want to get the engine area wet.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:26 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 569 Posts

Check the power steering fluid and inspect the serpentine belt. Dan
The following 2 users liked this post by Whaleman:
rocco16 (08-08-2023), SMM_DREW (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 12:30 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

I agree! I am making a list of known issues.

I need to do the following asap:

- Replace Dipstick Tube/plunger that goes into the engine. (Should I do it myself or get a mechanic to?)

- Change all necessary fluids oil especially it's been sitting way too long! I can go get an oil change today but what good does that do if I need to replace the dipstick, won't pulling that out mean that all the oil comes out too?
Old 08-05-2023, 03:12 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by pedricd
Hey Drew and welcome!

Lots to unpack here.

Can you post a video of the engine running with the sound?

How many miles on the car?

Can you take pics of the engine bay and post?

When you say oil is brown…do you mean like a milky brown color? That would mean water (coolant) in the oil…take a pic and post of this too.

Also that sounds like an aftermarket alarm that you can and probably should just remove

Also, you are 16, be careful posting your number online. Folks can DM you once you are here a bit via the forum.

thanks for the heads up on the safety tip I agree I should have been more careful posting that number. I apologize!

I have attached a few videos I took but I don’t want to start the engine with the bad oil in it I feel like it’s getting real bad and maybe I should just replace the dipstick and change the oil before starting again but the videos I have is of when we drove it home you can sort of hear the sounds it’s making.

115,000 miles on the car, I posted another forum “buying my first 1987 Chevrolet corvette” and it has all photos and service/part records this car has had a good deal done to it to make it a bit faster about 100 horsepower faster the seller said.

yes the alarm is aftermarket any tips on how to get the annoying thing out? I’ll upload a pic of the key fob too.

the oil is milky brown yes I’ll upload a photo so you can make your own judgment also.

Old 08-05-2023, 03:42 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Should I do an oil change then start it up and take videos or should I do the dipstick then oil change? If I do dipstick I have to take it to a mechanic it will be about a week or so.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:46 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I would start it up and let it get to temperature and drain the oil when hot. I am a advocate for letting it drain ,at least, overnight. I let my 96 drain for a month in late Winter before the driving season in Iowa. Dan PS: I don't know for positive but I would be shocked if the dipstick tube is below the oil level.
Old 08-05-2023, 07:41 PM
AftonJay
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

What's the deal with the dipstick? It's stuck in or the metal rod is missing? I am almost thinking the two are related. Like maybe wrong dipstick was used and it is making contact with crank. It would be unusual but with you having a dipstick issue (which is odd to have) and then this noise coming right from where rod would be just seems like to big a coincidence.
Old 08-05-2023, 09:06 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Default Rod knock :(

Well, first corvette I ever bought and the guy sold me a shitty engine definitely has rod knock unless anyone else thinks otherwise. I’ll upload my videos, I guess I’ll start saving, this was my first car and I’m 16. I still think the car was worth it with the amount done to it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3696.mov (9.22 MB, 32 views)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:10 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Default Here’s another video

Heres another video for y’all, anyone that wants to donate to help me and my car is appreciated just let me know by private messaging me 🥲.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3695.mov (6.33 MB, 29 views)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:58 PM
AftonJay
Instructor

That really sucks, takes a special kind of A-hole to rip off a kid buying his first car.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:01 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts

Change the oil, start the car pull the dip stick and see if you eliminate the knocking noise
Old 08-05-2023, 10:02 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by AftonJay
That really sucks, takes a special kind of A-hole to rip off a kid buying his first car.
yes it really does suck I’m towing it Monday to my friends shop, he will inspect it and tell me what the best plan of attack is. I only have about $1,750 not near what I need for an engine.

I would love to make this work, I put all my internship money from the summer into it. We will see.

I can maybe make a Facebook post for a car fund with close relatives and friends, not sure if that’s asking too much though. And to put the cherry on top, the sellers now ignoring me
Old 08-05-2023, 10:04 PM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by yaknow
Change the oil, start the car pull the dip stick and see if you eliminate the knocking noise
​​​​​​

we already changed the oil and the oil filter and turned it on, the knocking got worse and I honestly don’t think it’s related to the dipstick, but I can fully pull it out and try tomorrow afternoon if you think so?
Old 08-06-2023, 08:29 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I agree. That noise is not coming from the dipstick. Dan
Old 08-06-2023, 09:19 AM
AAFC
Emerging Vendor

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified

Default Dip stick stuck

Welcome to the forum
If you have not done this ,get a FSM ( field service manual ) for the year of your car.
It will help you a lot with good information. There are other owners that share your love for
a Corvette on this forum. If you can't fine out an answer ask here someone will know or direct you to the information.
Good luck and enjoy the ride
1990 white/black # 2546
one of a few 4l8OE eq ZR-1's
148xxx miles and still running
SMM_DREW (08-06-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under cad

Old 08-06-2023, 09:50 AM
AftonJay
Instructor

Yeah after hearing it I don't think it's dipstick. If your lucky maybe a bent push rod or something. Get a stethoscope and start listening to different areas.
SMM_DREW (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 11:49 AM
SMM_DREW
Advanced

Originally Posted by AftonJay
Yeah after hearing it I don't think it's dipstick. If your lucky maybe a bent push rod or something. Get a stethoscope and start listening to different areas.
If it’s a bent rod that’s still a huge task to replace, probably not as expensive as an engine swap.

does anyone know how much a new L98 is, I was looking and it seems 3,000 - 4,00”

I’ll do the stethoscope task today or Monday at the shop.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:11 PM
pedricd
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 302 Posts

If it is rod knock and things aren’t toasted too terribly may be able to get away with new rod bearings for some time while saving up for a rebuild or swap of another known good motor.

Quick Reply: Dip Stick Stuck - Squealing coming from under car passenger side under cad