C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 10:03 PM
Axman7
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key

Hello, I’m new here. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on how to get a key for my 88 C4. The key was lost and has not been found. I’ve tried to have SOS lock smith come out. They could not figure out how to make a chipped key for it so they made me a mechanical key to just unlock the ignition so I’m able to move it around. I’ve also called power Chevrolet and asked to get a key made, I’ve given them the vin# and they are having trouble because they say there are multiple codes it could be to program the key and they don’t know what code is for the key. If anyone has any advice on how to go about this, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you
Old 07-31-2023, 10:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

There's a couple ways to do what you need and the same lock shop could maybe help you. Ask that shop if they have a VATS Interrogator. You've got history with a previous purchase/service so maybe they would price the service appropriately. It isn't inexpensive. The procedure if they have the Interrogator they should be able to explain. Ask the dealer if they have an Interrogator. There's of course a DIY for it also but it requires some understanding of some electrical components.

Do you have the FSM for your '88?
Old 08-01-2023, 12:33 PM
Talfryyn
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Try a different dealership. With the title and a photo ID the dealer can use the VIN# to find the key and VATS code. It's not a big sale for the dealer so be humble when you ask.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:24 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 335 Likes on 234 Posts

Find a better locksmith. Ask up front if they can make ignition keys for a C4 and if they stock blanks. If they say what's different about a C4 key. move on to the next locksmith. When I was looking for a locksmith to make extra keys for my car I first called a mobile locksmith I had used for job related work. He said he could do it but recommended another locksmith that he knew had a stock of each resistance and equipment to read keys. In less than 10 minutes they made two sets of spare keys for me and I was out the door.
Old 08-01-2023, 09:45 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,305 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
In less than 10 minutes they made two sets of spare keys for me and I was out the door.

The OP is in a far different position as he has a “work key” with no resistance value. He will require an interrogator to find the resistance. There are 24 values and a time out duration for each wrong try. At a minimum he is looking at an hour of work, maybe even more.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:57 AM
TinnerN
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Our small town Chevy dealer, Alpha One, used the VIN to look up the key I needed, then cut the key. Very easy task for a decent GM dealer.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:08 PM
96PGIICCC
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TinnerN
Our small town Chevy dealer, Alpha One, used the VIN to look up the key I needed, then cut the key. Very easy task for a decent GM dealer.
Hello,
Which digit in the VIN is the key resistence?
Old 08-03-2023, 09:55 PM
jlbruggeman
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not in the VIN

Get notified of new replies

To Key

Quick Reply: Key