C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

NEED REAL ADVICE ON THIS INCOMPLETE RESTORED LS3 SWAP 1986 c4

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 05:41 AM
Six6Ward
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED REAL ADVICE ON THIS INCOMPLETE RESTORED LS3 SWAP 1986 c4

Any advice at all is appreciated I made a deal seeking a restoration of the car with light modifications basically with a better engine, touch up interior but keep original dash, and gold ⚜️ exhaust tips. We went with the LS3 swap with almost 600hp and we made it all way to car (about to be prep for paint)I felt I paid way to much we locked in a contract for 75k which I signed and paid over a course of a year. I feel that was extremely high, but I was told that was an estimate and I even paid a little more but they was asking for about 50k more to complete the car I felt they took full advantage of me stopped the process got someone advice and pulled the car from over there. Now I'm here thinking its possible to some how finish the car an actually enjoy it after this long rollercoaster ride I've been on. Im posting pics of the before and the stage its in when I received it in Feb. of this year they had the car since October 30, 2020. Im posting more pics tomorrow once I retrieve them from my wife phone.

Last edited by Six6Ward; 06-26-2023 at 05:46 AM. Reason: words were cut out
The following users liked this post:
KMS88Cal#16 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 07:13 AM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Wow that’s a lot of money. I can’t speak as to whether it’s too much because I have never dealt with a resto shop before. I guess it all depends on how many hours they actually put into it. The car's paint looks nice and the in-progress photo of the LS swap looks clean minus the wiring which was obviously in the middle of being done. That is going to be one heck of a car when it’s complete. What exactly are you looking for advice on??? There are many guys on CF that have done LS swaps into C4’s but in order for them to help you, you have to provide as much info on the build as possible; what exactly you have and what you need done.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:39 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

So you've already paid $75,000? Did you have a contract stating what work was to be included? Sounds like you should get an attorney that specializes in contracts. That's too much money to be asking advice of non-legal professionals.
The following 2 users liked this post by topfuel67:
Lord Gray Hair (06-26-2023), yakmastermax (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 12:40 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,301 Likes on 878 Posts

For 75K, the car should have been completed, with money to spare. Just my opinion.
The following 4 users liked this post by ChumpVette:
Daniel_Mc (06-27-2023), dkirk (07-11-2023), FAUEE (06-26-2023), IHBD (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 02:47 PM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 219 Posts

75K? That’s an awful lot of $$$ to dump into a 1986 Corvette. I thought I had a lot in my 86 (about 12K total) including engine and transmission upgrades.
ghoastrider1 (07-11-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:23 PM
Professional_Rookie
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IDK resto prices, but 75k sounds absolutely ricidulous to pull an engine, trans, ecu and put different ones back in. Custom engine/trans mounts too. Idk if they did anything to the rear end either. The car looks ptetty clean when you got it.

For 75k you should be out the door with an awesome setup. Get as many details from the shop as you can. Maybe post back here so we have more to go off. Definitely at least talk to a lawyer and see if theres anything you can do (like hold them responsible for finishing the build at the price agreed on)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:30 PM
Six6Ward
Cruising

I did sign a contract but once I completed the payment these guys just kept asking for more payments stating that it was ONLY an ESTIMATE and told me it would cost additional money because its a lot of working parts when doing a full restoration........ SMH Im passed that now, I got legal help and now first step would be to get someone to go over my invoice and see what was done/ what wasn't done or was I over charged excessively for certain things etc. from a licensed professional. These guys swear that it's 117k into this car (The Bomb Factory NOLA) Now im stuck with this junk that actually looks worser than it did before I dropped to them, how is this even legal to do is my question?? So I need someone to complete what they didn't finish while identifying where my money actually went cause its definitely not in this car. Posting pics where the car is now they only put car together because they was contacted by my legal help to retrieve the car because it was just phone calls from them only requesting more and more money I just should of pulled the plug long ago. I want the car completed but im exhausted and don't know where to turn, I also want these guys to be held accountable if they screwed me and probably so many others.

Thanks for replying Guys
Old 06-26-2023, 03:40 PM
Six6Ward
Cruising

Default What car looks like now it started when I first received it battery dead now

Old 06-26-2023, 03:49 PM
C4 Steck
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

All I can say is that I’m shocked. I’m sorry for your situation. An additional 50 grand over the original $75k? What the literal hell. You could completely strip that car of all original stuff and put in the best of everything as far as drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc etc etc, have the best show quality paint and perfect interior, maybe just maybe with labor you might touch $75k. If money were no object and I could do whatever I want, I might be able to spend $20-30k in parts, doing it myself. Another $45-55k on top for labor seems crazy. I’m wondering what was actually done. And I’m curious as to which is the before and after picture because the paint looked good on the top photo. I guess just what the others said…you need an itemized list of what was done and someone to verify every nut and bolt of what they said was done. Then see where you’re at.
The following 3 users liked this post by C4 Steck:
fastbanana (07-03-2023), Six6Ward (06-26-2023), yakmastermax (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 03:51 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,301 Likes on 878 Posts

Let's just say

15k show quality paint
20k for engine swap with all related work done
?????

75k Total
yakmastermax (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 04:13 PM
yakmastermax
Drifting

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Way way way too much.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:54 PM
borderbyrd72
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This can’t be real life. Why would you pay anywhere near $75k for a car that probably wasn’t work $7k to begin with?
convas (06-28-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 05:21 PM
Six6Ward
Cruising

@ C4 Steck that’s exactly where I’m at I was in so deep I figured I just wanted it done. Then get my itemized list “which I do have” to get looked over by someone reliable. I’m stuck trying to find someone reliable enough to even deal with it. It’s in storage until I find someone to go over my itemized list and complete the process. That’s why I pretty much came here, even a couple attorneys I first spoke with even recommended it as well.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:41 PM
Professional_Rookie
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Six6Ward
@ C4 Steck that’s exactly where I’m at I was in so deep I figured I just wanted it done. Then get my itemized list “which I do have” to get looked over by someone reliable. I’m stuck trying to find someone reliable enough to even deal with it. It’s in storage until I find someone to go over my itemized list and complete the process. That’s why I pretty much came here, even a couple attorneys I first spoke with even recommended it as well.
Really sorry you're dealing with this, man. People like the owners of that shop are real trash and it seems like they planned to rip you off big time. Dont give up hope on your dream build. I hope it all works out for you.
Six6Ward (06-28-2023)
Old 06-26-2023, 10:26 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

You probably know this already, but in case it wasn't clear, you got scammed. They asked for more money because they figured if you were crazy enough to give them 75k for 20k worth of work and motor, you'd probably give them 125k for it.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can really sue someone for giving you a shitty price. You could MAYBE sue them for failure to deliver your car in the condition states in the contract... But is it an estimate or a contract?

The real question is, will they have anything for you to even recover a judgement from?
Six6Ward (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 12:52 AM
snlshow
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Need advice? $75k? People, this is complete BS. Not true. Trolling. Need advice? No, head examination is needed.
convas (06-28-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 01:55 PM
Six6Ward
Cruising

@snlshow yeah thanks for your advice man……… it’s obvious I went in not knowing anything about a restoration. I basically was thinking find a shop pay them and they should complete it as long as you pay them. Not my story could be several reasons why they screwed me. All I really need to know is can someone refer me to a decent shop that WILL complete it correctly, while identifying what wasn’t vs was done previously. I just want it done correctly all original no add in’s or nothing. I guess I’m also asking if it’s possible to find someone willing to help because I might be having an issue because I’m searching local areas…. Im passed the I screwed up part and these guys basically been doing this for quite some time I’m not the first and definitely not the last. The Bomb Factory Nola (Steve) is who I dealt with. Look them up it’s plenty people who said they had issues there, I just want people to know about them and im trying from ALL angles. I have all invoices/ contract even attorneys having a time helping out it’s a complete headache.

Get notified of new replies

To NEED REAL ADVICE ON THIS INCOMPLETE RESTORED LS3 SWAP 1986 c4

Old 06-28-2023, 04:31 AM
Six6Ward
Cruising

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You probably know this already, but in case it wasn't clear, you got scammed. They asked for more money because they figured if you were crazy enough to give them 75k for 20k worth of work and motor, you'd probably give them 125k for it.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can really sue someone for giving you a shitty price. You could MAYBE sue them for failure to deliver your car in the condition states in the contract... But is it an estimate or a contract?

The real question is, will they have anything for you to even recover a judgement from?
it was a contract as far as I know.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:31 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

why didn't you buy a new C8 instead?
The following 2 users liked this post by BillDurant:
sahhas (07-01-2023), vinco (07-05-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 03:24 PM
86C4vert
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

If we assumed 20k for the engine, 20k for the body work (super generous considering its in primer), that would leave 35k of labor. If we assumed $100/hr thats 350 hours. Thats 44 8 hour days, or 1.5 months of continuous work. Im not seeing 1.5 months worth of real shop work here.

Was anything else done besides engine and body? Suspension? Diff? Transmission? Interior?

Quick Reply: NEED REAL ADVICE ON THIS INCOMPLETE RESTORED LS3 SWAP 1986 c4