Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

does choice of Water Pump matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 AM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

Default does choice of Water Pump matter?

1992 LT1 Water Pumps run $80 to $170 depending on vender/brand. Any recommendations to buy or warnings to stay away from?

Rock Auto / Gates $80.79
Rock Auto / AC Delco $133.79
Zip Corvette $149.99
Auto Zone / Duralast $158.99
Advance Auto $171.99
Corvette Central $178.45
Old 04-19-2023, 12:53 PM
'78CorvetteS.A.
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by dburgjohn
1992 LT1 Water Pumps run $80 to $170 depending on vender/brand. Any recommendations to buy or warnings to stay away from?

Rock Auto / Gates $80.79
Rock Auto / AC Delco $133.79
Zip Corvette $149.99
Auto Zone / Duralast $158.99
Advance Auto $171.99
Corvette Central $178.45
Personally I've purchased the AC Delco from Rock Auto for the LT1 in my '96 Firebird Formula and a AC Delco for my 2007 Yukon, also from Rock Auto! No problems from either going on two and half years. I know these are the China made units, but truth be told many AC Delco parts have been coming from China for years, you just have to make sure they are the "Gold" or "Profesional" lines. And although I don't prefer it, I have had very good luck with the Duralast brand when in a pinch and don't have the time to wait for a GM/AC Delco part. I'm 99% sure that any AC Delco pump you see for sale will be the same as the one you'll receive from Rock Auto....the only exception would be an NOS one on ebay, where you can verify on the box and date code for Mexico, Canada or USA built....and these will bring $250-400 if you can actually find one! That's my 2 cents, the good thing about the LT1 pump is that the bearings don't have to support the load of a mechanical fan, any of your options will likely work, but I've had too much hit and miss with Gates in the last decade....not so much before, used to seemingly be a better product....like just about everything else made these days👍
Old 04-23-2023, 06:03 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 228 Likes on 156 Posts

AC/Delco is typically my first choice, Duralast is usually my fall back.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,481 Likes on 2,819 Posts

How long do you plan do keep the car? If you plan to keep it forever, buy the duralast with the lifetime warranty. If you're only gonna keep it a while, buy the gates. You likely aren't going to replace it any time soon, and if you do, the duralast will be free.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:12 AM
mothman52
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

A very timely post. I'm planning on replacing mine after installing a new heater core, so I'll be reading the results with interest.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I've always been an RA 'hater' and it seems that maybe it's justified by what most have experienced recently regarding 'Customer Service' - there ain't none. Scratch choice 1 & 2!

ZIP - I'd ask them BRAND and WARRANTY POLICY!

AUTO ZONE/ ADVANCE AUTO - just the warranty and maybe ask if you're told 'Lifetime' - one time or 'FOREVER'!

CORVETTE CENTRAL - NEVER (There's a thread recently where they sold an ACD part that doesn't function that they don't do returns and there was 'NO WARRANTY' that they were willing to participate in)

Maybe use the prices you found and compare to other 'local'. NAPA has maybe a couple choices with different warranty/pricing options.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:05 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I've always been an RA 'hater' and it seems that maybe it's justified by what most have experienced recently regarding 'Customer Service' - there ain't none. Scratch choice 1 & 2!

when i had my lt4 i put a 'flow kooler?' on it. that made a difference in the engine temps.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:59 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe use the prices you found and compare to other 'local'. NAPA has maybe a couple choices with different warranty/pricing options.
I've noticed that NAPA sells a lot of repackaged Gates products at a much higher price than the corresponding Gates branded product can be had for. Even the product numbers are almost the same.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (04-25-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 09:15 PM
playzwithcars
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Chris Petris, who makes a great Optispark, probably does more water pumps R&R's and Optisparks than anyone else. He uses the Gates Water Pump on his service work, and sells that Gates pump with his kits. I think that says a lot for the Gates product.
The following 2 users liked this post by playzwithcars:
car addict (04-25-2023), WVZR-1 (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:34 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by playzwithcars
Chris Petris, who makes a great Optispark, probably does more water pumps R&R's and Optisparks than anyone else. He uses the Gates Water Pump on his service work, and sells that Gates pump with his kits. I think that says a lot for the Gates product.
That doesn't validate the Gates that RA is offering is the same product that Chris uses. A Gates of the same part number purchased from a reliable 'local' source is much different!

*** What part # does Chris use?
Old 04-25-2023, 08:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

That doesn't validate the Gates that RA is offering is the same product that Chris uses. A Gates of the same part number purchased from a reliable 'local' source is much different!

*** What part # does Chris use?
What insanity is this? You think that there are versions of the same part number going to different stores, and that a "reliable local source" somehow has enough pull to get a higher quality part than Rock auto?

Let's be real, the c4 isn't exactly a high volume vehicle anymore where they're gonna run different grades of the same part. Frankly, every water pump on the market likely comes from.thr same contract manufacturing house in China just put into a different box, likely with zero differences in quality or parts. MAYBE the higher end and larger volume brands pay for some extra inspection, but I don't see them doing multiple configurations of parts like this for different brands on a part they probably make a few hundred per year of, tops.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:30 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
What insanity is this? You think that there are versions of the same part number going to different stores, and that a "reliable local source" somehow has enough pull to get a higher quality part than Rock auto?

Let's be real, the c4 isn't exactly a high volume vehicle anymore where they're gonna run different grades of the same part. Frankly, every water pump on the market likely comes from.thr same contract manufacturing house in China just put into a different box, likely with zero differences in quality or parts. MAYBE the higher end and larger volume brands pay for some extra inspection, but I don't see them doing multiple configurations of parts like this for different brands on a part they probably make a few hundred per year of, tops.
Even though I agree with most of your comments there's maybe exceptions. Is RA receiving production that didn't pass the 'final QC'? That I believe is certainly possible. A purchase from a 'reliable local source' could certainly have a very different experience if the warranty replacement ever became an issue.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:44 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

Even though I agree with most of your comments there's maybe exceptions. Is RA receiving production that didn't pass the 'final QC'? That I believe is certainly possible. A purchase from a 'reliable local source' could certainly have a very different experience if the warranty replacement ever became an issue.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:06 AM
hawk454
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

It is just a water pump. Bearings, shaft, and impeller. No technological changes in five decades. Quite a few import cars use plastic impellers...
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 02:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

How do you know a local guy isn't? Don't you think that someone like Rock auto who is a big account is going to get taken care of better than a NAPA or local auto parts place that sells meth on the side to stay open? While a local guy is easier to deal with, and you might get your replacement the same day, I doubt you're gonna see any quality improvement from the local guy vs a Rock auto.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:50 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
How do you know a local guy isn't? Don't you think that someone like Rock auto who is a big account is going to get taken care of better than a NAPA or local auto parts place that sells meth on the side to stay open? While a local guy is easier to deal with, and you might get your replacement the same day, I doubt you're gonna see any quality improvement from the local guy vs a Rock auto.

Buy where you like - I'll buy 'local' - locals support many groups, younger athletic leagues and PAY LOCAL TAXES!!!

I guess the only local buying you might do is your Meth?
Old 04-27-2023, 04:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Buy where you like - I'll buy 'local' - locals support many groups, younger athletic leagues and PAY LOCAL TAXES!!!

I guess the only local buying you might do is your Meth?
Who has time for that? But it on Amazon like a normal person :P

I try to buy local too because I can get my part that day. It's a convenience thing, not a quality thing. I am under no impression that the local stores sell anything different than rockauto, but they have it today and i don't want to be in a situation where I don't have buying local today to get my.car working tonight as an option.

Get notified of new replies

To does choice of Water Pump matter?

Quick Reply: does choice of Water Pump matter?