C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Here's one for those of you handy with a wrench

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 03:04 PM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Here's one for those of you handy with a wrench

This looks to be in nice condition and worthy of being brought back. 1st year vert with a stick ain't all bad IMHO. Miles aren't too bad either.
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...590354355.html
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:39 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

roof that's a lot for a car they think has a seized engine.
jazfe (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:19 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

It's pretty. That's where my daughter lives, Lakewood.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:22 AM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

I agree it's a big asking price. But if the interior looks anything like the exterior you are ahead of the game there. the engine might be a Marvel Mystery oil away from being brought back to life with some patience. One thing I have learned is asking price and sales price are often different especially on a non runner. A good checkout with a boroscope would be a requirement before I would come anywhere near that price. That's why I presented it as a "mechanics special". A car that is in good cosmetic condition needing some mechanical help. The ad says the car was a runner when put in storage so it's quite possible that it could be freed up with some cylinder lube.
mazdaverx7 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:37 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Needs more than a wrench to fix that...

Good option for a crate motor swap though.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:08 PM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Needs more than a wrench to fix that...

Good option for a crate motor swap though.
So I take it you have never brought a stuck engine back to life? I'm not saying that is the case here but it is a possibility as I have done it several times on various types of engines. Even if you have to pull the engine and disassemble it to get it freed up a person with the skills and tools to do that could do it without much of an investment and if it turns out that it is beyond a cheap fix then the crate engine would be a consideration. That's why I think it would be a good deal for someone with those kind of skills. If you don't have to throw thousands into paint/bodywork and interior it is a good start in my mind especially with what you are starting with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Bucket List:
jazfe (02-22-2023), SH-60B (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:51 PM
GaryInArizona
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Where is Lakewood?
Old 02-21-2023, 12:57 PM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Originally Posted by GaryInArizona
Where is Lakewood?
Denver CO. area
Old 02-22-2023, 01:16 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

There's a red one on FB marketplace with 89k miles and a rod knock for $3k. It has been listed for several weeks now. Plus it's a So Cal car so in far better shape corrosion wise.
Facebook Post
Old 02-22-2023, 04:13 PM
Blue Bucket List
Pro

Originally Posted by topfuel67
There's a red one on FB marketplace with 89k miles and a rod knock for $3k. It has been listed for several weeks now. Plus it's a So Cal car so in far better shape corrosion wise.
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...4859052542158/
Did a little searching and I think I found the one you are referring to. Not quite an apples to apples comp as the red one I found is an auto trans. It also has some paint damage in a few places. And, with a rod knock you know for sure that you will be going into the engine. Most likely a full rebuild or crate engine. Not saying this one won't need the same but there is a chance it could be brought back with a cylinder lube and some patience. I'm not trying to sell you the car, just think this one would deserve a closer look if you were anywhere close. Most of what I see for sale out there the manuals are bringing $1000 to $2500 more depending on the car. The corrosion issue might or might not be a concern as a lot of us that live in areas where road salt is used value our cars and don't drive them in those conditions. My vert has always been a Washington car and it looks almost new on the undercarriage with 46K miles.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:00 PM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Reminds me of a funny story on a car with a seized engine. A friend I worked with got offered a 2001 Bullit Mustang from another coworker who supposedly knew cars inside and out. So my friend asked me to step in and make sure it was a good deal. The guy sold him the car for 2k and this was around 2009. 90k miles clean inside and out. The guy said he put a breaker bar on the balancer and it was frozen. My friend towed the car to my house. I put a breaker bar on it and the engine turned. The AC pump was frozen so only the belt was holding it. I replaced the AC pump and the car ran like new.
So maybe that seized engine is something else too. Same with the red one with a rod knock. Might be a lifter or even a rattle somewhere. But if either one needs an engine $5k and $3k are priced a bit high. The red one has been listed for several weeks. I've been tempted to check it out myself, but my wife would kill me. I already have 7 or 8 cars including a 92 6 spd Corvette convertible.
The following 2 users liked this post by topfuel67:
Blue Bucket List (02-23-2023), mazdaverx7 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:54 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

I feel like the car is nice enough that it's worth a look. Just because the guy lists 5k as his asking price, doesn't mean he will hold firm at it. He might be trying to ward away tire kickers or maybe he's looking to sell to an enthusiast and will negotiate. It looks like a really nice car overall and the manual transmission is a huge bonus. If the engine is seized from sitting, it can likely be made to run again as stated above. Either way, it's worth a look to someone looking for a good car to start with.

Get notified of new replies

To Here's one for those of you handy with a wrench

Quick Reply: Here's one for those of you handy with a wrench