Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default 15 yrs in garage and time to start it

I have an 85 that has been garaged for at least 15 years. Now that the grandkids are older and too busy for me, I've decided to resurrect it. It was parked initially because the roof of my house caved in from a heavy snow storm and everything I owned had to be put in there. During the move back into the house, I had my first grandchild. 4 grandkids later they are now to old to be interested in a silly old man, so it's back to the vette. I have it completely dug out now, so I'm not sure where to start. I am draining the tank and replacing the fuel pump, Also the "sock" and hoses, clamps etc.I will replace the fuel filter and try to blow out the lines to remove the old gunk. I thought I would also remove the plugs and squirt something into each cylinder for a day or so before I try to start it. The interior is all moldy too. Well, not ALL moldy, but the steering wheel is pretty rough and the seats need attention. Any other suggestions or ideas on how to bring it back to life would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:39 PM
detroitrust
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

Not started all those years? How many miles? If so, you're headed in the right direction. Does it have proper oil level and condition (no water)? Does the cranks rotate using a breaker on the flywheel? You can lube those cylinders with some Marvel's Mystery oil.

You're correct to get the tank and supply to the engine cleaned. I emptied the tank, put in an entire new sending unit. cleaned the tank, purged all lines, new fuel filter. Disconnect pressure lines and run until new gas is present.

New battery and see if she will turn over and start for a second. If she is going to run, run it very. shortly, drain the oil, pop in new plugs, check coolant. I'd bet she runs. Lt-1 are tough. Then it's going through all the systems.

I'm sure guys will have somethings to correct but sounds like you got this.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:47 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

Keep us updated on how it goes. I always enjoy a topic like this.

Old 12-16-2022, 10:11 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions detroitrust. The motor is a replacement about 30k ago with a new LT-1 (previous owner) when the original went south. It will turn by hand, and I plan on changing the motor oil with 4 qts conventional an 1 qt dexron tranny for the fire up. Once it fires I plan on replacing the oil again and flushing fluids. It has not been started all this time and the coolant has been drained. It will take time as I have limited time to give to it and I have to wait on parts as I go. I will keep all interested parties updated on how it goes. Anyone with ideas on cleaning p the interior would be nice too. I replaced the interior before I parked it with sport seats and a color change to saddle from the bronze it had. I also customized it a little as well. I am pretty sure I have the only '85 with a saddle colored dash pad. Really stands out. I replaced the original hood prop with the later model improved version as well as a few other tweeks before everything went south.
The following users liked this post:
JETS C3-C4 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 06:24 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Our car had sat for a long time also before we bought it, so the interior was moldy/musty. It had stained the red leather seats (got them redyed), scrubbed the interior and fogged it good with Ozium a couple times.

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT breath Ozium. Open the doors and the hatch and let it air out before breathing the air in the car. It will kill the smell.

From underneath, look at the backside of the bearings. Yours being an 85 might have an extra seal in there that a 96 did not (rear). After we drove it home (200 miles) I could see grease leaking out, so the bearing seals were gone. Even though they only had 12,000 miles on them I replaced the bearings.

I also did the brakes and did a really good flush on the brake fluid.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:34 AM
jazfe
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Have a good look around under the dash for evidence of mice. When I purchased the car I have now it had sat for 5 years. There was a mouse nest behind the radio and all of the vacuum hoses for the AC had been chewed to pieces along with a couple of electric wires. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:43 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

When you crank it for the first time disable the spark plugs. Don't let it run. Build up oil pressure using the battery to turn the engine.
Change EVERY fluid in the car and replace EVERY hole and belt.
Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders for a week won't hurt
USAF
Old 12-17-2022, 03:06 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by USAF
When you crank it for the first time disable the spark plugs. Don't let it run. Build up oil pressure using the battery to turn the engine.
Change EVERY fluid in the car and replace EVERY hole and belt.
Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders for a week won't hurt
USAF
Thanks for the replies folks! I wondered about the building oil pressure first. Good advice. Also good advice to check for mice. I see a few droppings in the floor. I have never heard of Ozium. Thanks for the respiratory warning. What did you scrub the interior with before attacking the smell?
Old 12-17-2022, 03:24 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Ozium

Amazon Amazon

or other places, I bought mine local

Just a good interior carpet cleaning stuff
Old 12-20-2022, 07:30 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Well, I pulled the fuel pump out this evening. Whatever that black wrap is around the pump, it looked melted and a chunk fell down into the tank. Got it out and pumped out the bad gas. Wiped down the inside of the bladder. Looks good. Removed the old fuel filter and blew the lines out with the air compressor. Installed new filter. New pump should arrive Friday but so will the 2 degree weather. Might have to wait a bit to continue. Got the mystery oil to squirt into the cylinders and some new rubber fuel line for the pump install. Gotta pick-up some brake fluid too. It looks awful. Oh yea, fresh gas and a new battery too. Geez batteries have gotten pricey.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:33 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ductape
Well, I pulled the fuel pump out this evening. Whatever that black wrap is around the pump, it looked melted and a chunk fell down into the tank. Got it out and pumped out the bad gas. Wiped down the inside of the bladder. Looks good. Removed the old fuel filter and blew the lines out with the air compressor. Installed new filter. New pump should arrive Friday but so will the 2 degree weather. Might have to wait a bit to continue. Got the mystery oil to squirt into the cylinders and some new rubber fuel line for the pump install. Gotta pick-up some brake fluid too. It looks awful. Oh yea, fresh gas and a new battery too. Geez batteries have gotten pricey.

Does your pump assembly have a pulsator installed in it? If so, you can simply get rid of it an use a piece of fuel injection hose in its place if you don't want to replace it with a new one.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:33 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Cleaning interior surfaces of mold try white vinegar, mixed 1 vinegar : 2 water. Sponge on, leave on 5-10 minutes, wipe, wipe again with plain water. Door panels, dash pad, seats, just probably not the carpet or cloth things.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:22 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Yes, it appears to have a pulsator (whatever that is) in the line. I wondered if it could be eliminated as it has insulation gone at the connection. It looks like a wire connection not a fuel. It looks like a condenser from inside an older distributor. Thanks for the warning about using the wrong line too. Doing it over again does not appeal to me. When the pump arrives I'll see what all comes with it. I believe there are some pieces with it. Also thanks for the vinegar idea. Sounds good. I may have to wash down the whole garage. That bad gas still reeks in there today yet. I will say this, you folks are the best resource available today!
Old 12-22-2022, 03:35 PM
Macaroni Kid
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a moldy interior to deal with in my father's 89, seats dash headliner, even the seatbelts. I used Clorox wipes (lemon) flavored haha. They worked really good and went a long way as well too. Good luck
Old 12-28-2022, 07:19 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

Good luck 🍀
Old 12-29-2022, 05:00 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for all the support folks. So the fuel pump has been riding in a fedex truck for a week now. Finally got it delivered to an alternate place so I can get my hands on it. A little cold and snow and everyone goes nuts! Tomorrow I plan on installing the pump, removing the plugs, squirting the marvel oil inside and removing some very old brake/clutch fluids. After the oil soaks a few days I'll install a new battery and see what happens. Question: Should I change the oil before cranking without plugs to build oil pressure? Or when I attempt starting? My buddy says leave it alone for now, but 15+ year old oil doesn't thrill me. I hate to waste it at todays stupid prices, but the motor is obviously more important here.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:45 PM
Macaroni Kid
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I would definitely put fresh oil in before cranking it for the first time, who knows what it's contaminated with, peace of mind for $20 worth of oil

Get notified of new replies

To 15 yrs in garage and time to start it

Old 12-29-2022, 05:59 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,156 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by ductape
Thanks for all the support folks. So the fuel pump has been riding in a fedex truck for a week now. Finally got it delivered to an alternate place so I can get my hands on it. A little cold and snow and everyone goes nuts! Tomorrow I plan on installing the pump, removing the plugs, squirting the marvel oil inside and removing some very old brake/clutch fluids. After the oil soaks a few days I'll install a new battery and see what happens. Question: Should I change the oil before cranking without plugs to build oil pressure? Or when I attempt starting? My buddy says leave it alone for now, but 15+ year old oil doesn't thrill me. I hate to waste it at todays stupid prices, but the motor is obviously more important here.

Yes you can eliminate the pulser from the fuel line / pump. Rubber hose and clamps. Did it on my 85.

Changing the oil is a basic to me. I would change the oil and filter and pull the Dissy, then prime the engine with a drill/ stub shaft primer. I consider that cheap insurance. At a minimum I would pull the valve covers and pour 1 quart of the oil on the rockers and down the push rods while refilling the oil. I would fill the new oil filter with oil before installing it.
USAF (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 08:16 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran

Good thoughts BLUE1972. Today I installed the new fuel pump and pulled the plugs. Geez I forgot how much fun it is to wretch your hand and arm and pull those plugs! I poured the mystery oil in each cylinder and will turn it over with the plugs out, I need to get oil, filter and a new battery for the next attempt. Plugs too, gapping them to .045" Letting the cylinders soak for now. I'm getting antsy for the fire up!
BLUE1972 (12-30-2022)
Old 01-02-2023, 11:50 AM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

What may look like mold on some of the interior trim may just be dirt. This weekend I'm rearranging things on a pallet rack in non climate controlled hangar. I have a set of inside door panels salvaged from another 35th. I hadn't looked at them for almost ten years. The white parts were covered in what looked like mold but since nothing else in the whole hangar ever had any mold I determined it was dust/dirt attracted to the chemicals being slowly released from the plastic.

Ozium is good stuff, been around for years. I'd always see it for sale at airport FBOs to keep on hand in case someone barfs in your airplane.

Quick Reply: 15 yrs in garage and time to start it