C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Metallic clinking noise when transmission shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 11:55 AM
W2vette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metallic clinking noise when transmission shifts

Hey, I bought my red 1985 Corvette 3 years ago and I've been lurking on here for a while. So far I replaced the fuel injectors with Bosch 3s from fic, I replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, replaced the master cylinder and did a brake fluid flush, a/c delete to clean up the engine bay and lighten the car, I installed long tube headers and replaced the catalytic converter with a new magnaflow cat. Coolant flush, and oil change. I've done all the work myself and it's definitely become my favorite hobby and the car runs much better than when I bought it. The only concern I have is this weird noise when the shifter is in the third gear or second gear position when the transmission shifts I hear a very distinct metallic noise like a "clink" noise. It does not do this if the shifter is in the overdrive position. I checked the u joints and they feel solid. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? By the way I just wanted to say how grateful I am for this forum. It has been an invaluable resource.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:06 PM
JD1964
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I would get the car up on jack stands and check the linkage at the transmission connection and shifter connection. Also check the cable for contact with floor panels. Move the shifter to the various positions and see if any of the parts come closer or touch anything.

When the transmission shifts there’s usually some rotational movement from engine torque as the power is applied. Maybe in certain shifter positions something makes contact during the tq rotation.

If the cable for instance is slapping the floor, sometimes something as simple as a zip tie can hold it in a slightly different position and solve the problem

Last edited by JD1964; 10-18-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 04:51 PM
W2vette
Cruising

Ok I'll have a look this weekend to look at the shifter cable. Thanks for the reply
Old 10-25-2022, 12:22 AM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It might be a good idea to check the bolts on the torque convertor. If they're loose, be sure to put on some thread-lock on the bolts.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:47 AM
W2vette
Cruising

Ok, I'll check that, I'm going to try to get it up on jack stands sometime this week. Weather permitting as I don't have a garage and I live in Wisconsin. Thank you for the reply. I guess my biggest concern is that there is an underlying problem with the transmission. I plan on putting higher gears in next spring and I would hate to do that if the transmission is about to blow up.

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic clinking noise when transmission shifts

Quick Reply: Metallic clinking noise when transmission shifts