C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 wont cold start

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 10:36 AM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 96 wont cold start

Just bought a 1996. Drove it home 4 hrs and even drove it yesterday a few times. Tried to take it to work this morning around 6:30am and engine wouldn't turn over although it does crank. Tried to jump start it but the car i was jumping off of probably wasnt the best. Any ideas on why i can't cold start. Oil is fully synthetic, fuel pump is about a year old, brand new battery i picked up before i drove it home. Haven't checked the relay and didnt listen for the fuel pump. The engine is leaking oil like you'd expect a car from the 90s but its not a whole bunch. Also didnt check my oil pressure just because i had to get to work, als bone stock except my exhaust. Will be going home on lunch break to try to start it with the sun out since everytime I've successfully started it has been afternoon-evening time. Also if someone doesn't mind answering if i keed to get a can of engine starter, where the heck do i spray it at. Thanks in advanced. This is my first vette
Old 09-25-2022, 12:41 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I would check codes first, lots of reason for the car not starting. Don't use starter fluid it's not going to tell you anything.
https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...trouble-codes/
Old 09-25-2022, 01:02 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Congrats! with your new ownership. Last year of the C4.
Adding new tools to your box. Will make EFI diagnosis much more efficient.
As suggested codes are rule number 1 must have info.
Knowing fuel pressure is mandatory.
Typically this points to the CTS coolant temp sense.
It would be ideal stopping at a chain parts store like AutoZone. read code/s, loaner, rent FP gauge.
Keep us posted with any codes discoveries.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:31 PM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm confused by the statement it cranks but doesn't turn over. Is it actually turning the crankshaft as in spinning complete revolutions over and over or does the starter try to turn it then go dead. If it's the later I would check the battery,cables,and starter. If it's the first you'll need a lot more diagnostics help. Just my two cents.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:03 PM
ZumpC4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Last edited by ZumpC4; 11-10-2022 at 08:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZumpC4:
CorvetteRules (09-25-2022), IHBD (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 03:04 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
Congrats! with your new ownership. Last year of the C4.
Adding new tools to your box. Will make EFI diagnosis much more efficient.
As suggested codes are rule number 1 must have info.
Knowing fuel pressure is mandatory.
Typically this points to the CTS coolant temp sense.
It would be ideal stopping at a chain parts store like AutoZone. read code/s, loaner, rent FP gauge.
Keep us posted with any codes discoveries.
going to autozone after work. Had someone else tell me my optispark was bad, any opinion on the chances of that. It sat for about 6 hours
Old 09-25-2022, 03:07 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by merc49
I'm confused by the statement it cranks but doesn't turn over. Is it actually turning the crankshaft as in spinning complete revolutions over and over or does the starter try to turn it then go dead. If it's the later I would check the battery,cables,and starter. If it's the first you'll need a lot more diagnostics help. Just my two cents.
I'm thinking the first from what you describe. Its cranks and i can let it crank until i stop trying but its not turning over. I will still check battery cables since i replaced the battery with a new one the first day i had it
Old 09-25-2022, 03:09 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ZumpC4
Hmmm... I would think if the engine cranks but doesn't start and you shot some starting fluid into the throttle body AND IT STARTED, that would tell you something very specific.
so dont use starter fluid or give it a try? if i can use it just to get it going so i can get to a shop im fine with that. But lets say i use the starter fluid and it works. Now where should i look from there? Sensore maybe
Old 09-25-2022, 04:02 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by luckydaytarik
so dont use starter fluid or give it a try? if i can use it just to get it going so i can get to a shop im fine with that. But lets say i use the starter fluid and it works. Now where should i look from there? Sensore maybe
NO. Fluid. Just as his advise.
You originally bounced around. With the battery detail. Had to read between details.
Your problem is a only.. a intermittent NO start. Cold. correct?
Save yourself time and aggravation.
***Click on bac22's link to retrieve codes.
Post the codes found.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:16 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

going to autozone after work. Had someone else tell me my optispark was bad, any opinion on the chances of that. It sat for about 6 hours
Possible. Depending on mileage very unlikely.
OE optis are very reliable.
Unless. Original owner purchased a recent replacement. The modern aftermarket Opti's. Are horrible.
With that said. Post codes instead of. As of now someones rumor. Fuel pressure reading would be handy. Next determine if you actually have spark.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:28 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 335 Likes on 234 Posts

As ZumpC4 stated, if it starts with starter fluid it would give you a clue. Possibly your not getting fuel. Your next step is if it starts with starter fluid would be connecting fuel pressure gauge to see fuel pressure when key is turned to start and pressure while you crank.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:28 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

NO. Fluid. Just as his advise.
You originally bounced around. With the battery detail. Had to read between details.
Your problem is a only.. a intermittent NO start. Cold. correct?
Save yourself time and aggravation.
***Click on bac22's link to retrieve codes.
Post the codes found.
Will do. Im headed to autozone directly after work in about 45 mins. I assume the readers arent the same so hopefully i get the right one the first time
Old 09-25-2022, 05:30 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
As ZumpC4 stated, if it starts with starter fluid it would give you a clue. Possibly your not getting fuel. Your next step is if it starts with starter fluid would be connecting fuel pressure gauge to see fuel pressure when key is turned to start and pressure while you crank.
gonna start with a code reader. I think its getting fuel because i can hear what i think is the fuel pump. Super duper loud if that is the fuel pump. Ill see if i can find a fuel pressure gauge while im at autozone
Old 09-25-2022, 05:48 PM
dburgjohn
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 74 Posts

no matter how old or new the vehicle this still applies, when you have fuel air and spark in the right quantity and at the right time it will run. When they don't start checking those things as one is missing or off ratio. When new enough to have a computer, always read codes first. No need doing extra work when i will tell you if issues are there. A fuel pressure gauge, good volt/ohm meter and something to check spark (though I still use a screwdriver in the plug wire myself) will take you a long way. Take your time and enjoy the process. I would guess that the majority of people on this forum enjoy the tinker process.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:50 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Possible. Depending on mileage very unlikely.
OE optis are very reliable.
Unless. Original owner purchased a recent replacement. The modern aftermarket Opti's. Are horrible.
With that said. Post codes instead of. As of now someones rumor. Fuel pressure reading would be handy. Next determine if you actually have spark.
the last owner didnt but the owner before him was a car dealership that upgraded the exhaust, seats, headlights, and radio that i know of so it is possible they went ahead and swapped the opti but i cant comfirm. Car has almost 171k miles on it
Old 09-25-2022, 06:14 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

the last owner didnt but the owner before him was a car dealership that upgraded the exhaust, seats, headlights, and radio that i know of so it is possible they went ahead and swapped the opti but i cant comfirm. Car has almost 171k miles on it
Well. Unfortunately electronics. Does not have a experation date.. with that said 171k or slightly below is proof the opti is reliable. And have to admit superceded it's task.
As far as the modern optis. With cheap components.
I can vouch. I tried a jegs opti as a last resort. It failed approx 6 months. Finding a "genuine" opti is a egg hunt. Pulling from a boneyard sitting around for years / decades. Is like winning the lottery.
You can inspect/ diagnose. validating if the PCM is recieving the signal. Before blaming the opti
What codes have you found??
Old 09-25-2022, 06:24 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Well. Unfortunately electronics. Does not have a experation date.. with that said 171k or slightly below is proof the opti is reliable. And have to admit superceded it's task.
I can vouch. I tried a jegs opti as a last resort. It failed approx 6 months. Finding a "genuine" opti is a egg hunt. Pulling from a boneyard sitting around for years / decades. Is like winning the lottery.
You can inspect/ diagnose. validating if the PCM is recieving the signal. Before blaming the opti
just picked up a code reader and fuel preassure tester headed home to give it a try now

The following users liked this post:
THE 383 admiral (09-25-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To 96 wont cold start

Old 09-25-2022, 07:14 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Update. Decided to get a better code reader before i opened the package. I had the 3040 and upgraded to the 3170
Old 09-25-2022, 07:28 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Update. Decided to get a better code reader before i opened the package. I had the 3040 and upgraded to the 3170
Innova makes excellent products.!
I have an adjustable/ digital timing light from Innova. Works fantastic on LS style coil packs. Few months after driving my new purchase C4. 4 coils failed within weeks of each other. simply crazy.

Keep us posted with your codes.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:03 PM
luckydaytarik
Heel & Toe

Quick Reply: 96 wont cold start