C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dorman vs ARP wheel studs plus thread engagement ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 06:53 PM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Dorman vs ARP wheel studs plus thread engagement ?s

I'm aware Dorman wheel studs are roughly equal in quality/strength to stock studs and that ARP stuff is better than that. Considering I'm going to be using wheel spacers, will longer Dorman sourced studs be strong enough? Considering a wheel spacer is held tight by clamping force/friction from the lug nuts being tightened down, I'm having trouble seeing how/why longer studs would matter as long as their strength was equivalent to the stock wheel stud and can maintain proper clamping force. If I'm researching it correctly, the weight of the car does not create shear forces on the studs when everything is tight as it is the friction between the wheel/spacer/hub that holds the wheel on via the nuts being tightened on the studs.

Also, how much thread engagement is required? I would assume as long as the nut fully threads on, (all the nut's threads are fully engaged with the wheel stud's threads even if it is at the end of the stud) it should be fine. Why do certain race sanctioning bodies like to see threads protruding through the nut (often times equal to the diameter of the stud)?
Old 08-15-2022, 08:19 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

I used these from Jegs. JEGS 65131 I think they have shorter ones too at a good price.

Quick Reply: Dorman vs ARP wheel studs plus thread engagement ?s