Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 03:36 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 915 Likes on 461 Posts
Default The Journey to Buying a C4 Corvette

The Journey to Buying a C4 Corvette
By Pouria Savadkouei

Buying a decent C4 Corvette in today's tough used car market is not as easy as it once was.

The following 2 users liked this post by Curated Content Editor:
TKO Performance (07-26-2022), tomchaf94C4 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 07:20 PM
DALE53
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you purchase without having a mechanic look over the car or did you just give it your own inspection?
Old 07-07-2022, 09:01 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

thx for posting this will have to watch!!!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:24 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Fortunately, for those of us that have purchased recently, the C4 market hasn't seemed to have changed much in the last few years unless maybe you're buying from a dealer. If you know what you're looking at, and problems to look for, a guy can get a nice, honest, base model C4 for $10k. I picked up my 93 for $11,500. One owner, very clean, 62k miles, and it was 30 minutes from me. I found it on FB marketplace.
The following users liked this post:
rblakeney (07-29-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 02:42 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by DALE53
Did you purchase without having a mechanic look over the car or did you just give it your own inspection?
No mechanic inspection... just me looking at it and driving it
living on the edge!! LOL
Old 07-08-2022, 04:50 PM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
No mechanic inspection... just me looking at it and driving it
living on the edge!! LOL
That's what I did too, and it's worked out pretty well (knock on wood haha) when I got mine about 4 years ago. I did know what to look for, but there is no substitute for a PPI. Welcome to the C4 world! I'm also on the C3 forum as I have a 69 4-speed convertible, but truth be told, my C4 (auto) convertible is more comfortable, and actually get's great gas mileage. I clock about 23 mpg combined on average. Contrast that with the 12-14 I get in the '69.

The C4 is kind of the black sheep at the moment, and has been for a while, which makes it pretty much the best deal going right now, but it won't be forever. If only I had more space, I'd get a t-top 4+3 or 6 speed version too while prices are so depressed.

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 07-08-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:32 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 675 Posts

Congratulations 🍾 I’ve owned many C4 Corvettes love them
Old 07-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by Corvette-ZL1
That's what I did too, and it's worked out pretty well (knock on wood haha) when I got mine about 4 years ago. I did know what to look for, but there is no substitute for a PPI. Welcome to the C4 world! I'm also on the C3 forum as I have a 69 4-speed convertible, but truth be told, my C4 (auto) convertible is more comfortable, and actually get's great gas mileage. I clock about 23 mpg combined on average. Contrast that with the 12-14 I get in the '69.

The C4 is kind of the black sheep at the moment, and has been for a while, which makes it pretty much the best deal going right now, but it won't be forever. If only I had more space, I'd get a t-top 4+3 or 6 speed version too while prices are so depressed.
For sure! Couldn't agree more. For my sake, I hope the prices stay low for a little bit longer so I can buy more of them!
Old 07-11-2022, 01:50 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Congratulations 🍾 I’ve owned many C4 Corvettes love them
Thank you! Very excited! Can't wait to meet fellow C4 enthusiasts at car meets around town!
Old 07-15-2022, 06:08 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Thank you! Very excited! Can't wait to meet fellow C4 enthusiasts at car meets around town!
The 96 LT4's are wonderful cars; I own one and I appreciate the sleek clean styling. One of the best looking corvette IMHO. I've addressed (and upgraded) almost every system on the car and would happily give you my experience, and potential pitfalls to avoid. So where do you intend to start first? My suggestion would be like any Chevy, change all fluids, filters and a tune up. Don't be intimidated by all the mythology, pro and (often) con regarding the OPTI II; it's just a distributor which I (and about a million taxicabs) found .to be dead on reliable. Cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. Same as any Chevy. Keep us posted and enjoy your new car.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:32 PM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 341 Posts

I love all the C4's, but I just can't help but to admire the (more) squareness of the the 84-89 cars, along with the perfectly round tail lights. And not to mention that digital dash! I know many here probably may not like it, but it just screams 80's, and the 80's are back in, and have been for a few years, but just because it's 'in' now is not why I love it. Always have.

When I was looking for my second C4 a few years back, that was the most important item for me (I've owned two C4s - 89 and and 87 - still have the 87). The later cars look so 90's to me with those analog guages - not that there's anything wrong with that. We each have our individual tastes.

I recognize that the newer C4's are faster, and better in many aspects, but if only they could have kept that digital dash, I would own a newer one! Analog gauges in a C4 is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 07-15-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:41 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Congratulations Pouria

That's a beautiful C4, and it's red with a 6 speed and LT4.

Very nice. Enjoy it
Old 07-18-2022, 01:16 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by Corvette-ZL1
I love all the C4's, but I just can't help but to admire the (more) squareness of the the 84-89 cars, along with the perfectly round tail lights. And not to mention that digital dash! I know many here probably may not like it, but it just screams 80's, and the 80's are back in, and have been for a few years, but just because it's 'in' now is not why I love it. Always have.

When I was looking for my second C4 a few years back, that was the most important item for me (I've owned two C4s - 89 and and 87 - still have the 87). The later cars look so 90's to me with those analog guages - not that there's anything wrong with that. We each have our individual tastes.

I recognize that the newer C4's are faster, and better in many aspects, but if only they could have kept that digital dash, I would own a newer one! Analog gauges in a C4 is a deal breaker for me.

I couldn't agree more!
Old 07-18-2022, 01:23 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
The 96 LT4's are wonderful cars; I own one and I appreciate the sleek clean styling. One of the best looking corvette IMHO. I've addressed (and upgraded) almost every system on the car and would happily give you my experience, and potential pitfalls to avoid. So where do you intend to start first? My suggestion would be like any Chevy, change all fluids, filters and a tune up. Don't be intimidated by all the mythology, pro and (often) con regarding the OPTI II; it's just a distributor which I (and about a million taxicabs) found .to be dead on reliable. Cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. Same as any Chevy. Keep us posted and enjoy your new car.
Thanks so much! I'll be keeping you posted and asking more questions as I go along.
The previous owner had it serviced not too long ago, so I'll probably drive it a couple more months before I service the engine and replace the fluids.
The area I feel like I'm going to have to address more immediately is likely going to be the suspension. As I mention in the video, the car sits a little unevenly. Too high at the rear, and higher on the passenger side than on the driver side. So I have to find out what the issue is there. Perhaps the shocks need to be changed out. (I have my eyes on Bilstein B6 or B8)
In addition to that, I've been looking for less intrusive ways to stiffen the chassis so I don't feel like the steering wheel is about to fall off when the targa top is off! So far I've landed on a camber brace for the front.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Congratulations Pouria

That's a beautiful C4, and it's red with a 6 speed and LT4.

Very nice. Enjoy it
Thank you so much!
Old 07-18-2022, 02:31 PM
Cblock406
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks so much! I'll be keeping you posted and asking more questions as I go along.
The previous owner had it serviced not too long ago, so I'll probably drive it a couple more months before I service the engine and replace the fluids.
The area I feel like I'm going to have to address more immediately is likely going to be the suspension. As I mention in the video, the car sits a little unevenly. Too high at the rear, and higher on the passenger side than on the driver side. So I have to find out what the issue is there. Perhaps the shocks need to be changed out. (I have my eyes on Bilstein B6 or B8)
In addition to that, I've been looking for less intrusive ways to stiffen the chassis so I don't feel like the steering wheel is about to fall off when the targa top is off! So far I've landed on a camber brace for the front.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Vette2Vette kit. I recently picked up a targa brace and it makes a big difference too.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:17 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by Cblock406
Vette2Vette kit. I recently picked up a targa brace and it makes a big difference too.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into those. How much improvement do you feel from the Vette2Vette kit?
And how does the targa brace install?

Get notified of new replies

To The Journey to Buying a C4 Corvette

Old 07-18-2022, 04:38 PM
Cblock406
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into those. How much improvement do you feel from the Vette2Vette kit?
And how does the targa brace install?
Like you, I picked up my first C4 (92 ZF6) at the end of April and road tripped it 1,800 miles home. It was a good chance to get to know the car, and right away I knew I wanted to stiffen it up and change the shifter.

As soon as I got home I ordered the V2V kit and a Core Shifters shifter and ****. The V2V made a noticeable difference and I think is well worth the money. The shifter swap was 100% worth the effort too, those two things made it MUCH more enjoyable to drive, at least for me.

I'd been curious about a targa brace but nobody makes them anymore. Well, a couple weeks ago one popped up for sale on the forum so I decided what the hell and bought it. This last weekend was the first time using it, and from a SOTP feel, it also made a noticeable difference. It killed whatever B Pillar/Targa Top noise was left. Downside is it can't be used with the top in place, it is either or. It bolts in the same way as the targa top.

Last edited by Cblock406; 07-18-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Curated Content Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Originally Posted by Cblock406
Like you, I picked up my first C4 (92 ZF6) at the end of April and road tripped it 1,800 miles home. It was a good chance to get to know the car, and right away I knew I wanted to stiffen it up and change the shifter.

As soon as I got home I ordered the V2V kit and a Core Shifters shifter and ****. The V2V made a noticeable difference and I think is well worth the money. The shifter swap was 100% worth the effort too, those two things made it MUCH more enjoyable to drive, at least for me.

I'd been curious about a targa brace but nobody makes them anymore. Well, a couple weeks ago one popped up for sale on the forum so I decided what the hell and bought it. This last weekend was the first time using it, and from a SOTP feel, it also made a noticeable difference. It killed whatever B Pillar/Targa Top noise was left. Downside is it can't be used with the top in place, it is either or. It bolts in the same way as the targa top.
That's great to know! Do you happen to have any photos of the V2V kit or the targa brace?
Old 07-26-2022, 03:57 PM
Cblock406
Instructor

That's great to know! Do you happen to have any photos of the V2V kit or the targa brace?
You can see them here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...f-project.html

Quick Reply: The Journey to Buying a C4 Corvette