Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

[STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin.....

(As always, click the picture for a larger 800x600 image)

Backed in, I'm a few minutes early (I was late last time) so I snap a shot and wait for the guys to get back.

"Houston, we have a problem." Seems my lowered car has Randy really thinking how to get it off the ground.... the best and safest.

Time to put two heads together, no slip-shot work happening at this place. The guy on the left is Lee Hogan, one of the owners of KO Tire in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. (847-439-6986)

No room for error with these guys, they have their plan and they are double-checking their "raise the front, then the back" plan. (dang lowered cars!)

Here's the worlds first Grand Sport SUV.

After tearing the labels off, here's my first look at a BFG Drag Radial, 315/35R/17.

I drove 100 miles in snow and ice with these rear tires. The reason I am alive today is just luck and talent.

A measurement a man rarely sees. :lol:

Looks like a chop shop!

I'm the only customer there. It's by appointment only. Oh, and you can wander around the shop and watch every detail. I trust these guys completely, but I love to learn.

There is no rushing going on here - just the best work and attention. He was quick to point out a tall spot on the inside of a front tire and bad cupping (had them off for re-balance). I'll be getting new fronts after Florida, hafta be safe.

A perfect spin balance on the Hunter!

Spinning the drag radials, all weights on the inside.

Everything is done, the bill is paid. Kevin Hogan, the other owner snapped a picture of my ugly mug next to the car. Thank god it came out blurry. So, you get a picture of the front tire.

THE END

:seeya
Old 01-03-2003, 09:21 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (Patrick96LT4)

The old tires didn't wear to even????

Let me know how you make out with the wheel weights staying on the rims.
I stopped balancing DR years ago because I could keep the weights on the rims.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (Patrick96LT4)

Looking good Patrick :cheers:
Old 01-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (mackeyred96)

Let me know how you make out with the wheel weights staying on the rims.
I stopped balancing DR years ago because I could keep the weights on the rims.
It isn't wear, it's destruction. Countless burnouts and drag races! :steering: :cool:
Old 01-03-2003, 10:28 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I love that GS :smash:
Old 01-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:cool:
Old 01-04-2003, 12:53 AM
billyhay
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Patrick, the car looks awesome. :yesnod: That's the first time I've seen it with the Corsas, they look sharp. :cheers:

Are you going to drive to Florida? I thought I read somewhere that drag radials don't do well for trips. I think it had something to do with heat. :confused:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (billyhay)

Patrick, the car looks awesome. :yesnod: That's the first time I've seen it with the Corsas, they look sharp. :cheers:

Are you going to drive to Florida? I thought I read somewhere that drag radials don't do well for trips. I think it had something to do with heat. :confused:
Yep. I'm driving to Florida with some other Midwest Boyz. As for the long trips, I've been assured that the "heat issue" is a myth.

You drive them like normal tires, but at 35 psi on the highway. They just wear faster than normal tires because of the software compound. No worries here!

:thumbs:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:09 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmmmmmm!..............Excuse Me...........But I don't remember seeing a video file of a tribute to your old tires. :D
Old 01-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (chucks88)

Ummmmmmmm!..............Excuse Me...........But I don't remember seeing a video file of a tribute to your old tires. :D
Here is my tribute. The tires died a horrible, abused and melted death.

Click for the "video"... http://www.grammonline.com/miscimages/GS_Burnout.mpg

[Modified by Patrick96LT4, 12:15 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 01:21 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

what place is that. if it's against the forum rules just drop me an e-mail. i don't have a vette yet but it soesn't hurt to plan thing in advance. :cheers:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:26 AM
Speedracer176
Instructor

It isn't wear, it's destruction. Countless burnouts and drag races! :steering: :cool:

Nice looking tires there....but im not sure how doing a burnout & drag racing cause uneven tire wear. All burnouts & drag racing do is promote/accelerate natural tire wear...after all, its not like your car is going to compress inwards causing uneven tire wear, right?

:confused:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (DanielW)

I get my work done at "KO Tire" in Elk Grove Village, 847-439-6986 - ask for Kevin Hogan, the owner.

I get nothing out of telling you this, other then the satisfaction knowing that you wil be taken care of well.

Later!

:D
Old 01-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (Speedracer176)

Nice looking tires there....but im not sure how doing a burnout & drag racing cause uneven tire wear. All burnouts & drag racing do is promote/accelerate natural tire wear...after all, its not like your car is going to compress inwards causing uneven tire wear, right?

:confused:
Excellent question. My alignment is set up like the factory. I suspect the insides wear more because you don't align the tires flat to the ground, you anticipate cornering and whatnot...

Old 01-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Patrick, wait till you see what I drove 3000 miles on, you won't believe it, 1100 of that was in pouring rain, I could barely stay on the road.

I think you'll be happy with the BFG's. :thumbs:
Old 01-04-2003, 02:58 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (Mr Mojo)

Patrick, wait till you see what I drove 3000 miles on, you won't believe it, 1100 of that was in pouring rain, I could barely stay on the road.

I think you'll be happy with the BFG's. :thumbs:
I need PICS!!!! :thumbs:
Old 01-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

what kind of tire wear do you expect from the DRs?

Even though they are DOT tires, wont they lose thier tread very quikly with aggressive driving? Then you would be in a similiar or worse situation with you worn stock tires? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin.....

Old 01-04-2003, 11:03 AM
ZELLSLIFE
Racer

looks great!!! :cheers: My old tires wore the same way on the inside I figured it was common. :steering: :flag
Old 01-04-2003, 11:51 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Nice pics. Man you got that thing shining!

Good choice on tires
Old 01-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin..... (Phil-tha-Rush)

what kind of tire wear do you expect from the DRs?

Even though they are DOT tires, wont they lose thier tread very quikly with aggressive driving? Then you would be in a similiar or worse situation with you worn stock tires? :confused:
Drag radials have a softer rubber compound then harder street tires plus a twistable sidewall when you lower the PSI. So bald-for-bald, you'd want drag radials over a street tire for sure.

Yes, they'll wear-out much quicker but I'm in the Corvette Challenge this year and I neeed something that bites for more consistent 60 foot times.

Yes, I'll need a new set mid-summer!

Quick Reply: [STEP BY STEP] Getting the drag radials put on! Ssssssmokin.....