C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 heater core help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 12:42 AM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 95 heater core help

I asked before about info on 95 heater core removal. Got a bunch of answers that were about buying a factory service manual. So I went and bought a used fsm for $90 and low and behold there is absolutely nothing in the 4 inch thick book that shows how to remove the heater core or the airbag in passenger dash. I've started to just remove what I can, the battery has been disconnected for a month so the air bag should be safe to remove, once I figure out how to get it out.it is different than a 94 or earlier because you tube shows a glove box door where my air bag is. I can't figure out how to take dash pad off. So if someone knows a site to get pics or diagram on the removal it would be greatly appreciated, oh and I'll have a used manual for sale once I'm done with the core.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:22 AM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want to send a PM with your email address can send a PDF file that I used on my 93. it's about 18 pages with photos.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 AM
jmeyer58
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 119 Posts

1. Properly disable the SIR air bag system, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel upper trim pad as follows:
    1. Remove the lower right trim panel.
    2. Remove the fuse box cover and side trim panel.
    3. Remove the glove compartment.
    4. Remove the right outer air outlet and center air outlet.
    5. Remove the console trim plate and accessory trim plate.
    6. Remove the windshield defroster grill.
    7. Remove the left outer air outlet.
    8. Unfasten the dash pad retaining bolts/screws, then remove the pad by pulling rearward and upward.
  3. Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container. Disconnect the in-vehicle temperature sensor aspirator hose.
  4. Unplug the in-vehicle temperature sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the floor heat deflector attaching screws, right side knee bolster brace and the floor heat deflector.
  6. Disconnect the relays from the multi-use relay bracket.
  7. Loosen the nuts attaching the wiring harness retainer to the radio receiver, then slide the wiring harness retainer from the receiver.
  8. Remove the harnesses from the wiring harness retainer, then remove the wiring harness retainer.
  9. Remove the carrier nuts from the right side pillar, the multi-use relay bracket and the passenger knee bolster brace attachments.
  10. Unclip the side window defroster duct clip, then remove the duct hose from the knee bolster brace.
  11. Pull the carrier back, then remove the passenger knee bolster brace. Detach the electrical connectors from the radio receiver.
  12. Remove the multi-use relay bracket and unplug the cruise control module electrical connector.
  13. Remove the screws attaching the side window defroster duct to the rear of the heatercase. Remove the fuse block from the carrier.
  14. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the actuator, then remove the vacuum line retainer tape from the heater. Remove the harness from the retainer clip, mounted on the bottom of the rear heater case.
  15. Disconnect the side window defroster duct (center) extension, in the heater case. Remove the rear heater case attaching screws, then the rear heater case half.
  16. Remove the high fill reservoir. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core. Remove the heater core from the case.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:31 AM
merc49
Instructor

The 95 has no glovebox, that's the problem. I can't figure out how to drop the lower panel either. You have to remove the dashpad to get to the bolts that hold the airbag and brace. The lower panel feels loose but something Is holding it. There's a vent below the air bag that I know has to come off but don't want to break that either. This looks like it's an all day project so far and you have to keep taking panels off to get to hidden screws. I'd like to meet the engineer that designed this in a dark alley someday. Hey boss how about we put the heater core on the assembly line and build the car around it.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:20 PM
ajp01
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by merc49
I'd like to meet the engineer that designed this in a dark alley someday. Hey boss how about we put the heater core on the assembly line and build the car around it.
This is exactly correct IMO....
Old 03-03-2022, 08:31 PM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

This is from the 94 FSM, Book 1.
94's and up have no glove box. the interior was changed for the 94 MY.
Do you have both FSM books? Rock Auto has the FSM on CDs. Look under 'Literature" for your car. I recall they were around 20 bucks.

Last edited by KurtK; 03-03-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:52 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

I asked before about info on 95 heater core removal. Got a bunch of answers that were about buying a factory service manual. So I went and bought a used fsm for $90 and low and behold there is absolutely nothing in the 4 inch thick book that shows how to remove the heater core or the airbag in passenger dash. .
I checked my 96 FSM. Heater Core Replacement (found in Index) starts at 1B-30 in Book 1 of 2.
Did you get both books?
Old 03-04-2022, 11:26 AM
merc49
Instructor

Default Heater core

I didn't know there was two books, I can't believe you would need two giant books to work on a car. This is the one I bought.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:37 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 493 Posts

The white book like you pictured is the preliminary book. In several sections it refers to the '94 manual for details.

The red book is the one that was released.

The CD from Rock Auto is a good buy. At $20 for a manual it is cheap. I got the CD from them for my '96 and it is exactly the FSM but in pdf form. The one I got was a different brand than the ones they list now, but if it is the exact digital copy it is very good.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:33 PM
merc49
Instructor

Do you know off hand if the cd shows the removal of the dashpad and airbag and heatercore, I'll order one if it does. I should have taken the car to a shop near me for $600 and let them do it but I figured my past experience with shops is they break stuff and do shoddy work like cutting and gluing.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:19 AM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Do you know off hand if the cd shows the removal of the dashpad and airbag and heatercore, I'll order one if it does. I should have taken the car to a shop near me for $600 and let them do it but I figured my past experience with shops is they break stuff and do shoddy work like cutting and gluing.
The heater core removal includes a reference to section 8C, which is lengthy. The FSM on CD is the same as the paper manuals. Besides, it's just 20 bucks. If you are going to take it to a shop, you want to go to one that specializes in Corvettes. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:23 PM
merc49
Instructor

Finally got it out, hands coverd in black goo from the plastic ductwork. The foam stuff is all turning to goo, but need to know how the pipe from behind the radio comes out. I bent it out of the way to get the core out but am thinking it'll have to be removed to replace heater box. Also what core do you recommend, brass or aluminum. Next I have to change the carpet, any recommendations on who to buy it from. Looking for the color of the carpet and can't find a number to order.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:22 AM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Al Knoch Interiors. You maybe want to do a search on this forum and see if there are preferences for other vendors.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 heater core help

Quick Reply: 95 heater core help