Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 11:41 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (Jbaker)

My cars sit in the garage and wait for a sunny day, like today, because I have a company truck. They expect me to drive it to work everyday, or they will take it from me. No complaints here. :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 11:45 AM
mid life 90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (Jbaker)

A construction site is no place for a Vette :nono: the mud and dirt that end up inside my truck, well if that was in my Vette :cry Then there are the family times, 4 kids mean mini van :U sooo the Vette is reserved for the times that Jeanne and I want to get away :cool: I may not get to drive it as much as I would like, but when I do manage to get behind the wheel, well it's really special :thumbs:
Old 12-29-2002, 12:18 PM
C4ForGeeGee
Racer

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (GDP)

Mileage detracts from resale value. I know a large portion of the people on the C4 forum don't care about resale value, but I do, solely because I'd like to sell the C4 someday when the C5s come down in price. I like the C5s alot, even the back end. The C4 is all I could afford right now.
Spoken like a true C4'smen :rolleyes: I own both and I prefer the C4 :yesnod: C5's are cheap enough, get one now :lol: 25,000.00
Old 12-29-2002, 12:58 PM
FrankM
Instructor

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (C4ForGeeGee)

If one feels they are not depriving themselves of anything by avoiding putting miles on their C4, so be it. :thumbs:
However if one feels deprived then the lost $$ for mileage is peanuts as compared to the enjoyment from driving a C4. :steering:

[Modified by FrankM, 9:50 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 12-29-2002, 01:11 PM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (FrankM)

Well I am not saving my car for anyone else to drive. :lol: I bought this car for me and not for anyone else, so I am gonna drive mine and have all the fun I can with my car....notice I said MY car. When it becomes someone elses car then they can save it for someone else, I'm not. :lol:
Old 12-30-2002, 05:03 AM
VETTENV
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (1995LT1)

I enjoy driving the Harley almost as much as the Corvette, so I take turns. I also have a pick-up so I can haul my Seadoo around. One can never have enough toys! :D
Old 12-30-2002, 06:41 AM
Nox
Disbanded Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (1995LT1)

Here's a reason I haven't heard.....

I love driving my Vette and I have no qualms about putting miles on it. For me, short trips in the Vette are just a pain in the a*s. There is the climbing in, and climbing out, finding decent parking, etc. If I am going to the corner store for a loaf of bread, I prefer just jumping into my Ford Explorer. It's a lot less hassle for me. Now when I go on a longer drive, I wouldn't drive anything but my Vette.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:01 AM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car is a toy. i only use it for fun. my avalanche was bought as a daily driver and it carries all my tools. different tools for different jobs i guess. i dont drive my vette in the rain and i dont use an umbrella in the sun shine because its not the right tool for the job.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:02 PM
red-y
Drifting

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (Phil-tha-Rush)

I don't like to drive it in bad weather. I hate it when it is dirty. It gets filthy at work so I drive it several times each week. Friday is always a good day weather providing. Then I can wash it on Saturday. :crazy:
Old 12-31-2002, 12:11 AM
wake
Race Director

It seems like most vette owners I run across do not use their vette as a daily driver and I was wondering why?
Mine used to be a daily driver... That is until I noticed that my car had been "tapped" both front and rear many times... The final straw came when I found some POS had taken a knife from the right inner tail light, across the indented CORVETTE lettering across the back, and over to the left edge of the upper rear... :mad I could have literally killed someone with my bare hand had they been man enough to do it in my presence... :mad

I was thinking about a daily driver for about 6 months, but the vandalism incident clinched it, I bought a daily driver a week later...

Since owning my daily driver (1 year) I've noticed various scratches and scuffs all over it... Those are battle scars that aren't on my Vette now...

Soon the Vette goes into the paint shop to get the nose and tail redone... The Vette is a car I always worry about if I have to park it somewhere, not so much for vandalism, but for shopping carts, stupid parking lot drivers, etc... With the daily driver, I just park and forget about it...

Old 12-31-2002, 04:52 AM
Hamert
Racer

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (bobcal)

One word "Weather". Late Fall, Winter, early Spring can be nasty in this neck of the woods. I DO take it out on those rare days when the roads are clear, reasonably desalted, and I can navigate up and down the long driveway.
:iagree: I had mine out for a few days before Xmas, just after it rained and cleared the roads of salt, but it's in the garage now, and probably for awhile :(

I have tools and I have toys. My everyday driver is my Tahoe, which is also a tool. I bought it to tow my 26' boat and because it had 4 wheel drive to handle the snow in CT. The Corvette is not a tool to me, it's a toy; something I gain pleasure by using. Not that I hate driving my truck, I mean it's a Chevy :) . :thumbs:

The other thing is that b4 I got the Tahoe I had the Blazer (which I still have) so I can get that all dirty and salty in the winter since it's all rusted out anyway and still have the Tahoe in good shape in the garage next to the Vette.

Obviously I would like to drive the Vette everytime I go out, but I want to keep it in good shape also. It's not a "garage queen" but it doesn't go out in extreme weather or when the roads are salty and wet. :nonod:

I guess the other reason is the more I drive it, the greater my chances are of getting a ticket... :lol: :lol: :lol: :steering:

[Modified by Hamert, 5:00 AM 12/31/2002]
Old 12-31-2002, 09:10 AM
timallard
Racer

It's a bit hard to carry my tools to work in the back of the Vette. Although I seem to find an excuse to drive it most days :steering:
Old 12-31-2002, 09:13 AM
timallard
Racer

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (9vette3)

One can never have enough toys! :D
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-31-2002, 11:06 AM
DarkRose94
Racer

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not???

It's such a nice car that I'm tring to keep it that way. Plus I don't feel like the car is a daily driver anyway, it just one of my "toys" :D
Old 12-31-2002, 12:50 PM
35th
Drifting

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (DarkRose94)

I have more cars than I need so the Vette gets :steering: on nice sunny days :yesnod:
Old 12-31-2002, 01:04 PM
DINO
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
I went to Cruise-In V with Vetteweiser

Wish I could but why should I beat up the Vette when I have a couple of other cars I can use at home....plus in the winter here in Jersey with all the salt and sand on the road it sux ... :yesnod:
Old 12-31-2002, 01:38 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (DINO)

Two reasons for me, 1st as a Utility Supervisor were issued a new POS Ford pick up every five years and mandated to drive them to and from work. 2nd I also own a 97 Mopile diesel and a 89 Jeep Cherokee for a parts chaser. However when I was younger I had to drive my 65 vert and 68 bb year round as they were the only vehicles I owned. Quite an experience living in Colorado at the time. Really gives new meaning to the term "defensive driving." I don't recommend it, but it is one hell of an experience. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Get notified of new replies

To If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not???

Old 01-01-2003, 06:04 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not??? (thebeachcat)

In a word: perspective. Ask ten corvette owners about their cars and you will get ten different replies. Personalities are all different, and so are the reasons for owning and driving corvettes. This passion called corvette means so many things to so many different people. If everyone thought alike, then the eventual conclusion of that topic would be that only one kind of car would be sold. Some only own one car; some own several, including more than one corvette. Some must drive theirs daily; some cannot. But all here do have one perspective in common: they love their corvettes! :yesnod:
Old 01-03-2003, 01:19 AM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

My main reason is because too much dirt gets kicked up onto the car and into the engine bay area. Since I show my car at car shows and I have the entire upper end of the motor polished with a bunch of chrome here and there and everywhere else it takes a loooooooooooooooong time to clean the entire car and have it in show condition.

Even when I'm not showing the car at car shows, it's always a car show at the gas station when I open the hood to check the oil and fluid levels. Since I have a daily driver, it only makes sense not to take the Vette out in lousy weather so that when I do wash her, it only take 1 hour to get her sparkling clean instead of 4 hours. :crazy:

Another interesting point is that many people out on the road can't drive for squat in the rain. This only increases the odds of you getting your Vette or any other vehicle for that matter in an accident.

BTW, I think this thread has been done before.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:22 AM
kevoinc
4th Gear

Why? because I don`t have 2....also we have winter here and i only want to drive it with the top down.

Quick Reply: If you do not use your vette as a daily driver....I ask, why not???