Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help, 87 auto vette starts to stall/die once warmed up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 03:51 PM
ActionBoston
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help, 87 auto vette starts to stall/die once warmed up.

So i live in vegas, which is a super hot climate, and it is still over 100 degrees out right now. The car is my daily driver, and has been for the past 6-7 years so this issue isnt too new, but it is getting increasingly worrying.
I drive the car in the morning and it runs pretty nice, doesn't idle weird or "stumble" with the rpms. But by the time i get to my destination, about 30 mins of driving, the car just runs like crap. I dont really think its overheating, the temp gauges usually say 230 for oil temp and 225 for coolant, I just did the water pump. The rpms during idle will often be all over the place from 500-1000. And if i'm really unlucky then the car will just stall in the middle driving, weirdly though happens mostly when i am taking a turn. It doesn't throw any codes till it starts to run poorly, and even then will only be code 33, and that sometimes shows up even when the car is running fine so i'm not sure that is the suspect. I'm losing my mind over it, i cant figure this out., and since this is a daily im trying not to tear the whole car down to the frame to fix this issue.

Has anyone had an issue like this on their car?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:00 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Hello I did a search on this issue and found many threads saying a code 33 is related to the Mass airflow sensor MAF. THere was a couple of threads on either loose connectors or corroded wires in the MAF connections. One thread was related to the IAC- Idle Air Control Solenoid, but my experience is that is for rough idle with a cold start condition, rather than the hot condition you have.'

kdf
Old 09-12-2021, 01:47 AM
waddiejohn
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had that same problem. Loosened the gas cap and problem went away. Assuming the vapor canister relay or valve is bad. Haven't had time to troubleshot it yet.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:36 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 232 Likes on 191 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Code 33 is related to the burn cleaning of the MAF. Can clean with MAF as a short term fix, search the forums for other information of code 33.
Worth checking that the MAF is working as expected, FSM covers that.

Have you checked basics, fuel pressure, spark plugs, air filter? My car started stalling at weird times and pushing throttle would choke, issue was fuel pump.
Key, CHECK first, replace later! Not worth changing random parts, as sometimes those replacements are bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, 87 auto vette starts to stall/die once warmed up.

Quick Reply: Help, 87 auto vette starts to stall/die once warmed up.